Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-19-07, 07:32 PM   #1
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

USB HDTV Solutions

I picked up the Hauppauge HDTV solution today at CC. Debating on if I want to open her and test - not left with a confident feeling after checking antennaweb.org that I'll receive a good signal. Plus it's only OTA; none of the cable channels. =/

Anybody have any luck with this? Hardware, software? Also using MCE if that matters.

I assume this falls under CCs full moneyback if I'm unstatisfied even if opened?

Oh yeah, $40 MIR, so that cuts the cost to $60 +tax if anybody cares.
Old 02-19-07, 08:17 PM   #2
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have not used Hauppauge's HD tuner yet but I do have there PVR150 TV Tuner and it works great, one of the best ones out there. There software is alright, it took a little work to get it going with MCE but once it worked, it was pretty flawless.
Old 02-19-07, 08:19 PM   #3
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the feedback. I'm about to open her up and give it a try. I'll report back on how the setup, reception, etc. go. I'm maily worried about returning the unit if I don't get good reception/results.
Old 02-19-07, 08:27 PM   #4
DVDsAreMyLIFE
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should be able to return it without a problem. Just say it didnt work with your computer.
Old 02-20-07, 05:06 PM   #5
Superman07
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I managed to get it setup running under Windows Media Center. The PQ is pretty good on the HD channels (not sure if the limitation is the software, hardware [ATI X600 256MB], or monitor - Dell W2300).

The audio is a big issue - MC is only allowing me to chose between mono or stereo. Can't figure out of this is hardware of software related. Only running 2.1 atm, but the system is 5.1 - just no room to setup.

I'd prefer not to install the software that came with it for now - simplicity, but if I stick with the stick I likely will since it allows for different recording options.

Going to test out recording American Idol tonight and will continue with Lost and Grey's Anatomy on Wed/Thursday. If it doesn't work out I'll take her back this weekend.