Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-07, 03:39 AM   #1
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: Bluetooth. Is this within the realm of possibility...?

I have a Nokia phone with bluetooth and use a bluetooth headset on occasion.

My laptop also has bluetooth.

So I was wondering if there's any way I could maybe use my laptop in place of the headset? (Using the headphones to listen and the mircophone to talk)

Is this possible?

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 01-29-07, 07:28 AM   #2
eedoon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is within possibility. But I'm not sure if there are any software to do this kind of thing yet.
Old 01-29-07, 01:03 PM   #3
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
bummer. why is my ignorant self always ahead of technological progress...
Old 01-29-07, 11:17 PM   #4
GHackmann

Do you have a My Bluetooth Places icon on your desktop? If so, you might be in luck: your PC manufacturer shipped third-party Bluetooth software with your notebook. There should be a menu item or icon in there that lets you set up your laptop to provide Bluetooth services; and if you're lucky, a headset service will be one of the options.

If not, you're probably using Windows XP's built-in Bluetooth support -- and then you're screwed. Microsoft's Bluetooth software does roughly fuck-all by itself, and doesn't give developers enough features to do much useful with it.

(Not that I'm bitter, or anything -- but until the day I tried to program Microsoft's Bluetooth stack, I didn't realize you could actually give people the middle finger in software form.)
Old 01-30-07, 03:50 AM   #5
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, I guess i'm not a slave to Bill Gates

I was able to muddle my way through and pair my laptop with both my cellphone and my cellphone's headset.

Now, my main intent was to be able to use my laptop to record interviews that I would (hopefully) be able to conduct for DVD Talk. Is there a way to use the cellphone to make the call and the headset to talk/listen while using the laptop to record the conversation?

By the way, thanks for the tip GHackmann!
Old 02-08-07, 05:07 PM   #6
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

So now i'm able to use my bluetooth headset as a microphone and headphone. Is there anyway I could patch the phone converstation into the laptop?

I was thinking about having both the laptop and the phone connected to the headset, but it only allows one connection..