Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-01-06, 12:22 PM   #1
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Problem with laptop and wireless internet

I've been having bad luck with routers lately. First I had a Dlink, and it eventually died. Then I got the popular Linksys model, and it started flaking out on me, so now I'm on a Netgear, and it seems a little flakey too.

I have the wireless up and running, and it seems to work ok. The problem is, when I wake my laptop up from sleep (or suspend mode, whatever it goes into when I close it) it can't access the internet. I can still access my lan, since I can still do mapped drives and vnc. But it can't find any website.

I've done ipconfig, and it still seems to have ip set correct. I've even tried ipconfig /release and /renew, and they have no effect. The only thing that gets it working again is a full reboot. I'm almost positive this has to do with my new router, as this just started happening when I installed it.

Anyone have any ideas on what i can do to fix this?
Old 12-01-06, 12:52 PM   #2
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

did you flash the router with the newest firmware? I don't care if it is new out of the box, it could still have old firmware on it.

make sure your wirless card drivers on your computer are up to date as well. Sounds like a glitch with the suspend or hibernate feature.
Old 12-01-06, 02:06 PM   #3
johnglass
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
make sure your wirless card drivers on your computer are up to date as well. Sounds like a glitch with the suspend or hibernate feature.
I had the same issue with my laptop and updating the wireless drivers resolved it.
Old 12-01-06, 05:00 PM   #4
The Edit King
DVD Talk Hero

What the Hay!?!?!?

Is this contagious or something?

I was having that very same problem too, just this week, and let me tell ya, I really freaked out! (I was having one HELL of a bad day... )

...and after pulling almost ALL of my hair out (of my crotch), I did the upgrade, however, sometimes it still takes a few sign-on attempts, but I always get on.

-THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 12-01-06 at 05:03 PM.