Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-26-06, 11:12 AM   #1
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Restoring USB 2.0 capability to my Dell

I completely reinstalled my XP OS on my Dell Dimension 8400 a while back and seem to have lost USB 2.0 capabilty. Is there something special I need to do or install to regain that abilty?
Old 09-26-06, 11:53 AM   #2
McHawkson
DVD Talk Legend

Does it come that way when you bought Dell? If so, it should be on Dell restore CD that came with the computer.

Croc RULE!
Old 09-26-06, 12:22 PM   #3
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It came with it but I did a clean install and downloaded certain additions from the Dell site. What would I specifically need to download or install to add 2.0 capabilty?
Old 09-26-06, 12:51 PM   #4
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

I had the exact same issue: Dell 8400 computer, clean install of XP, CD wasn't any help and neither was driver download from the Dell website. The drivers are supposed to be included in SP2 according to X.

I got so frustrated with trying to figure out how to fix it, I just gave up and bought a USB 2.0 card.

That wasn't any help.
Old 09-26-06, 03:25 PM   #5
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew
I had the exact same issue: Dell 8400 computer, clean install of XP, CD wasn't any help and neither was driver download from the Dell website. The drivers are supposed to be included in SP2 according to X.

I got so frustrated with trying to figure out how to fix it, I just gave up and bought a USB 2.0 card.

That wasn't any help.
That's my problem exactly. I just got back from BB where I was picking up an external 500 GB drive that's 2.0 USB. I didn't even think of getting a card like you did. I guess I'll keep trying to figure it out. It does help to know it happened to you too. I thought maybe it was just me!
Old 09-26-06, 05:05 PM   #6
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

find the "pci to usb host controller" in the device manager. right click on it and select update driver. see if that helps.

if not, try selecting uninstall, reboot, and let it redetect. the key is to making it show up as an "enhanced ... controller" in the list.
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 09-26-06, 07:12 PM   #7
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found the enhanced controller in the device manager and have installed the external drive. I started copying about 80 GB of video files over to it about two hours ago. How long should this take through USB 2.0 vs 1.1?
Old 09-26-06, 07:50 PM   #8
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

USB2 would be 2-4 hrs, USB1 would be at least 20 hrs
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 09-26-06, 08:12 PM   #9
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's a big-ass transfer for USB2.0.

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 09-26-06, 08:38 PM   #10
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's still going and appears to have quite a ways to go, so I guess it's transfering at 1.1 unfortunately. I suppose I'll just let it run all night and maybe all day tomorrow while I'm at work. I didn't realize there was such a huge difference between USB2 and 1.1.
Old 09-27-06, 07:19 PM   #11
DVDho78DTS
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had this issue on my Dell when I installed the OS on my new hard drive. I fixed it by using the Dell ResourceCD that came with the computer. It has an option on it to add USB 2.0 support.
Old 09-27-06, 10:11 PM   #12
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

nazz - you want to go to support.dell.com

http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen

find your machine, then your OS, then download and install the driver under

CHIPSET
>Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

You might even want to go to the control panel, device manager, locate all the items under the USB heading, right click on them and un-install first. Then install the chipset driver and reboot.
Old 09-28-06, 08:58 AM   #13
nazz
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info guys. I'll work on that tonight.

In other news, I realized after transferring all of those video files that this WD 500GB My Book drive came formatted with FAT32 on it. Looks like I'm going to have to start over and reformat the thing.