Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-07-06, 09:58 AM   #1
royphil345

Help with a simple network...

Hi,

I've got almost enough "leftovers" to build a second computer system. Would like to use the new system hooked up to my home theater in the other room.

Would like the new system in the other room to have the ability to access media files from this computer. Also, the ability to access the internet which comes through a DSL modem plugged into the ethernet card on this computer.

I did some reading, but I'm still pretty confused. Can I simply add another ethernet card to this computer (have a spare) and run a crossover cable to the other computer? Will I have internet access on the other computer if I bridge the two network connections in Windows XP on this computer?

Is there a better way, something like a router?

Thanks MUCH for any help!!!
Roy
Old 01-07-06, 10:22 AM   #2
matome
DVD Talk Legend

I would definitely get a wireless router, since you can eliminate the need to run a cable, get firewall security, share your internet connection and easily add other computers (namely laptops) wirelessly in one shot.

Here's a DLink wireless router kit (router & USB adapter) for $40 (with rebates) if you get it today at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=7441501&tab=6

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 01-07-06, 11:24 AM   #3
royphil345

Thanks!!!

Looks like a great deal!!! Might have to hurry up and get down to Best Buy.

I knew people used routers for sending DSL to multiple computers. Wasn't sure if that also allowed files to be shared between the computers though. Don't really need the wireless right now. Would it be as fast and reliable as a wired router for streaming media files (2nd computer would only be about 15' from the router through a wall)? Guess it would be nice not to have to run a cable. After the rebates, this looks like it would cost less than a wired router and a cable anyway. Should I go for it, or would wired be better if I really don't need the wireless?

Thanks again!!!
Roy
Old 01-07-06, 07:27 PM   #4
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd get a wireless router, but then wire the computer anyway. If you shop around for a deal, you can usually find a wireless router for not much more than a regular router. It's likely enough that the wireless capability will eventually be useful that it's worth the extra $10 or so it'd probably cost you.

That having been said, you should still run a cable from any computer to the switch if it's at all possible. Wired connections are faster, more stable, and less likely to cause you headaches than wireless connections.
Old 01-08-06, 07:52 AM   #5
royphil345

Thanks!!!

Now there's an idea I didn't think of.... LOL

Missed the big sale though There's still a $20.00 rebate. Will probably end up buying the DLink kit.
Old 01-08-06, 02:33 PM   #6
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Well you may have lucked out as it was back in today's weekly ad again, so the $40 rebates are extended till the 14th.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 01-08-06, 07:29 PM   #7
royphil345

Great!!! Thanks again!!!

Found this deal with no rebate. From what I can gather, it seems like it works for people. http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...9138&pfp=srch1

The DLink is probably better though. Any advantage to getting a wireless PCI card instead of the wireless USB interface? Would the USB be just as fast?

If the other computer was finished, I'm sure I'd have run out to buy something already!!! Hard to get excited about buying something you can't use yet though.

Last edited by royphil345; 01-08-06 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-08-06, 07:40 PM   #8
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DLink 520GM pci card has issues with and VIAKT266A based motherboard. As soon as you saturate the connection, the PC will lock up hard. There must be other cards and other motherboards which don't get along.

I have never heard about any such problems with a USB device.
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 01-08-06, 08:32 PM   #9
royphil345

LOL... Another device that won't work with VIA chipsets!!! I got sick and tired of having those problems. Switched to only using mainboards with Intel chipsets for Intel processors. My quality of life has improved greatly!!!

Thanks though!!! Every little bit of info helps!!!