Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-05-05, 03:23 PM   #1
buffotoad

Your results with MS Anti-Spyware program?

I have been comparing MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot, and Ad-Aware for over a month. All three are kept up to date. I don't delete the bad items each finds until after I run all three so that I can see what each one is finding. Here are my results for this week:

MS Anti-Spyware is run in real time mode and I also run a full system scan once a week. It has never detected anything on my system.

I run a SpyBot scan once a week. It usually finds things. This was a typical week and it found 14 tracking cookies and 3 registry changes.

I run an Ad-Aware scan once a week. It usually finds things. This week was a typical week and it found 37 tracking cookies.

I can understand that they would find different items, but MS Anti-Spyware doesn't ever find anything. It seems like I read a lot of positive comments about it, but I haven't seen it do anything yet. Am I wasting computer cycles running it in real time mode, and wasting my time running its scans?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 09-05-05, 10:19 PM   #2
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

I've read/heard nothing but good things about MS as well. It never finds anything on my system either while ad-aware always does.

Now Playing:
Shadows of Mordor On Deck: Need for Speed: Rivals
Old 09-05-05, 10:39 PM   #3
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them. Rest assured, if you get a serious threat on your PC, MS Anti-Spyware will likely detect it. Ad-aware tends to find a lot of stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, such as tracking cookies. Almost every PC will have them unless cookies are turned off all together (which is not worth it IMO), and I don't consider such a PC to be infested. It makes Ad-aware look like it is doing something though (when in reality it has fallen behind in this game).
Old 09-05-05, 10:52 PM   #4
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM
MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them. Rest assured, if you get a serious threat on your PC, MS Anti-Spyware will likely detect it. Ad-aware tends to find a lot of stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, such as tracking cookies. Almost every PC will have them unless cookies are turned off all together (which is not worth it IMO), and I don't consider such a PC to be infested. It makes Ad-aware look like it is doing something though (when in reality it has fallen behind in this game).
Strong agreement.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 09-06-05, 12:57 AM   #5
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

When I first used MS Anti-spyware, it found several things that Adaware and Spybot didn't. It never found anything again. Spybot and Adaware continually find things, and not always just cookies.

I think MS works in realtime, and that is pretty cool. The more defenses the better.
Old 09-06-05, 01:09 AM   #6
Groucho

I ran Ad Aware, it found a few things. I cleaned them.

I then ran Spy Bot, it found some more things. I cleaned them.

I then ran MS Spyware, and it found nothing? Obviously, it sucks.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 09-06-05, 11:44 AM   #7
Easy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM
MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them.
Well, everyone thinks they're spyware except you and Microsoft. Just google "tracking cookie". http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...cking%20Cookie
I'll take your word they do great at other problems but I think they missed the boat here.
Old 09-06-05, 12:05 PM   #8
Otto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy
Well, everyone thinks they're spyware except you and Microsoft. Just google "tracking cookie". http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...cking%20Cookie
I'll take your word they do great at other problems but I think they missed the boat here.
A cookie isn't "spyware" because it isn't actually any kind of "-ware" at all. It doesn't contain executable code, it doesn't run anything. At best, it tells some advertiser that you visited a couple of different sites, but they already know that because they have to have an ad on those sites in the first place. The information they get from tracking you from one site to another isn't particularly useful to an advertiser. And anyway, unless you're uber-paranoid and imagining vast conspiracies, there's no real way that such info could be used against you.

Secondly, if you use Firefox, then set it to block "Third-party Cookies" and the problem disappears entirely. You can also do this in the latest IE, by setting the Privacy slider to Medium or higher (the default is medium). The cookie may get set, but it won't be sent back to the advertisers.

The point here is that modern browsers already block "tracking cookies" anyway, and calling them spyware was a stretch to begin with.

That said, MS anti-spyware works pretty well for me. It's caught a few things in real time, which is nice. Mostly Java stuff. Occassionally I run spybot, but it never picks up anything other than cookies, which are not a real concern.

Last edited by Otto; 09-06-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 12:33 PM   #9
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

I have had good results with it.
Old 09-06-05, 12:52 PM   #10
BigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been using MS Anti-Spyware for quite some time and have been pleased with it.

The one thing I like about it is the scheduled system scan. Many of my users have Spybot & Ad-Aware, but always forget to scan. These are the users that are usually my problem children, so the scheduled scans works great for them.

I can't wait for MS Anti-Spyware to be centrally controlled in AD environment. I've been using Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate, but its spyware scanning isn't as good as the above mentioned apps.