Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-05, 04:46 PM   #1
Seeker
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I've been SPAMCOPPED!

Actually, I think 1and1.com has, but still I can't get my email out.

To a particular address, I keep getting reject messages via spamcop.

How does one fix this???
Old 07-26-05, 08:24 PM   #2
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

What the heck is spamcopped?
Old 07-26-05, 08:33 PM   #3
stevevt
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
What the heck is spamcopped?

?
Old 07-26-05, 10:09 PM   #4
Seeker
DVD Talk Legend

Spamcop is one of those stupid Spam control programs that folks put on their servers to see if people are sending spam.

If they think you are spam, they reject you. I was sending quite a bit of (legitimate) mail to someone, so they decided I MUST be spam.

In this case, it is the University of Maine's servers for a former University of Maine student.

Geez.
Old 07-27-05, 08:30 AM   #5
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, spamcom.net is a reputable anti-spam service. Your IP has probably shown up on one of the Blackhole Lists maintained or distributed by them. It is a simple matter to go to the site and lookup your IP address in their database. If it is on one of their lists, it will say which one and how to start removal procedures. Good luck!

Look at the header of the rejected email and find the IP address of your email server. Submit it here and see what it says.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 07-27-05, 09:06 AM   #6
Neitzl
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AGuyNamedMike is correct,
SPAMCop is a great service and it usually does a great job of blacklisting real SPAMMERS and not a legit domain. It can be a bit hard to get off a blacklist once you're on. What I think is happening is that your friends Mail Admin is using SPAMCOP as a spam test, and so you're failing and getting rejected. Either your friend has to do one of two things, off the top of my head. Usually if your email is in their address book, it whitelists your email address and so your email gets a pass on the mailserver running spam tests. Another thing to do is have your friend ask the mail admin to whitelist your domain. Not the best way to handle the situation, but it works until either your domain gets off the RDBL lists, or until their mail admin can make a rule for you guys.

good luck

Comics
Old 07-27-05, 09:58 AM   #7
Seeker
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, I realize it's legit - I just found that getting blacklisted is a big pain when you are legit.

There aren't SIMPLE procedures that are well known to get whitelisted, they make you jump through quite a few hoops.

And, I'm CONCERNED that the blacklist might get propogated to other Spamcop servers, making the problem worse.
Old 07-27-05, 02:39 PM   #8
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

All the more reason to get it resolved. If you wish, I would be happy to assist as I have done this before.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.