Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-05, 02:46 PM   #1
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Printer won't print with new cartridge?

I have an Epson Sylus printer..the C82 to be exact. The "Ink Montor" had been telling me for a while that i was going to run out of black ink soon. So I went out and bought some official Epson cartridges. Finally today my black ink ran out so I used the little utility that came with the printer to change cartridges. (It told me step by step what to do, etc). The "Ink Monitor" says the black ink is full and everything is ready to go.

But now when I go to print NO BLACK INK comes out! It acts like its printing but the paper comes out white as snow. The colors all work fine, no black..wtf? I cleaned the print heads too and that did nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited by namrufmot; 01-12-05 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 03:01 PM   #2
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
this happened to me once with my HP. there was a little piece of tape on the cartridge to keep air out so that it wouldn't dry the ink before being used
Old 01-12-05, 03:04 PM   #3
namrfumot
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah there is a little circle on the bottom that was covered by tape/pastic while in the package. But when I pushed the cartridge in to the printer it punctured the circle so the ink could flow out. I took it out and made sure it was punctured
Old 01-12-05, 03:58 PM   #4
matome
DVD Talk Legend

My cousin had the exact same black ink problem with the exact same printer. It was only 1.5-2 years old and we ended up throwing it out and swearing off Epson printers forever. According to Epson if you don't periodically print pages or leave it on for extended periods of time the tiny pinhole inkjets become pretty much permanently clogged. You can run the nozzle cleaning/alignment programs till you're blue in the face and all you'll get are pretty little blue/yellow/magenta grids. It seems Epson acknowledged the problem, but offered no solution. Check out the reviews over at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172282 or google for "epson c82 clog"

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Last edited by matome; 01-12-05 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-12-05, 04:04 PM   #5
cseyer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep I had a C80 that had the same issue. Run the clean head thing about 20 times it will probably unclog. Also there is a yellow tape on the TOP of the cartridge that must be ripped off also this allows air to displace the ink as it flows out. It is also possible (not likely) that you got a bad cartridge, if all else fails return the cartridge and exchange for another one. Does the printer recognize the full cartridge?
Old 01-12-05, 04:47 PM   #6
Maxwell Smart
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the same problem with that same shit printer. I never got it to work...I took it out to the back yard office space style. Godamn that printer!
Old 01-12-05, 04:48 PM   #7
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

I literally threw my Epson printer out of my kitchen window into the garbage can outside because of clogging issues like this. I've had a Canon for two years now and have never looked back.

Epsons have great print quality when they work, but when they don't you're pretty well S.O.L.