Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-02-05, 01:53 PM   #1
darqleo
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iBook problem

My iBook is stuck in some kind of limbo mode and I can't get it to shutdown or restart. I'm running OSX Jaguar on it.

What happened was I didn't keep my iBook plugged into the wall so the battery ran out of power during a CD rip, so I plugged it in and it came back to life.

Then I was worred that the music file it was in the middle of creating would be damaged somehow so I decided to stop the creation and start over, but that caused the Mouse Pointer to turn into the whirling rainbow circle and it wouldn't snap out of it. So I FORCE QUIT iTunes and restarted the computer.

But it didn't restart, it got stuck in limbo where all you see is the wallpaper of OSX and the AC adapter connector is glowing orange instead of green.

I push the On/Off button and that brings up the menu: "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" where I have the choice to either RESTART, SLEEP, CANCEL or SHUTDOWN. Any one of those choices just makes the menu disappear.

EDIT: Found the solution (and boy do I feel stupid) :

Follow recommended Shut-Down procedures
Shutting down correctly and safely (select "Shut Down" under the "Special" menu, or under the "Apple" menu in Mac OS X) can make a big difference to your Mac. But what if your system freezes up on you? Should you unplug your computer? Experts say you should try doing a "hard restart," by pressing the control key, the apple key, and power button at the same time. This is safer than unplugging your machine.

"Why do they call it 'full-screen' anyway, when it's only two-thirds of the stupid movie?" Rosenstein asked. "*****ing bullsh*t aspect ratio!"

Last edited by darqleo; 01-02-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 02:03 PM   #2
Forum Troll
Suspended

What model iBook is this?
Old 01-02-05, 02:09 PM   #3
apchrist

You might want try to relaunch the Finder [command + Alt + Esc] and then try shutting down.

My Guzzlefish
Old 01-02-05, 02:15 PM   #4
darqleo
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Troll
What model iBook is this?
It's the iBook 366mhz (indigo colored):

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/product_i...oducts_id/1969

"Why do they call it 'full-screen' anyway, when it's only two-thirds of the stupid movie?" Rosenstein asked. "*****ing bullsh*t aspect ratio!"
Old 01-02-05, 02:20 PM   #5
darqleo
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by apchrist
You might want try to relaunch the Finder [command + Alt + Esc] and then try shutting down.
This brings up the Force Quit Applications menu.
It's blank as no applications are running.
I can click on Force Quit which brings up another menu that says :
"Do you want to force (null) to quit?" with the options "Cancel" or "Force Quit".
I click on Force Quit, but that just closes out the menu, bringing me back to the Force Quit Applications menu.