Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-04, 02:46 AM   #1
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weird Speed Up Probelm When Watching DIVX Video Files

Hey guys,

Whenever I need to watch a video file with divx using my Windows Media Player...it seems every 5 to 10 minutes, the picture will first slow down for a few seconds, and then instantly speed up for a few more seconds. The audio never slows down nor speeds up--it stays normal. It's just the picture that slows and speeds up. This happens pretty often depending on how long the video lasts.

It seems whenevr it's not divx, it doesn't happen. Does anyone know why this would happen, and is there anything I can try and do about it besides not use divx (as it seems to provide very good picture quality.)

Thanks.
Old 12-30-04, 03:05 AM   #2
cupon
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could be a lack of memory problem. It could be a codec configuration problem. I have both ffdshow and the official divx5 codec installed. I tried using ffdshow as my divx5 codec, but I occasionally experience choppy playback. After disabling ffdshow's divx5 overrides my playback was smooth again. I use BSPlayer, btw.
Old 12-30-04, 03:18 AM   #3
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Cupon. What would you recommend?
Old 12-30-04, 03:27 AM   #4
cupon
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's difficult to say. It depends on the source of the problem. When the slow playback occurs you should open the Task Manager to see the CPU/memory usage. It's possible the app you're using to view the file has a memory leak. I've experienced this with various softwares (bittorrent clients, winmx, mp3/tag studio). The longer I kept them running, they eventually reached a point of instability.

I'd recommend you try a different viewer: bsplayer, zoomplayer, media player classic.

What codecs do you have installed? Did you use something such as mega codec installer that installed alot of codecs you've never heard of? If so, that could be the root of your problem; never install a codec unless you know what it does.

I have the following installed

AC3Filter 1.01a RC5
DivX Pro 5.2.1
ffdshow-20041012 (divx 3, 4, 5 options diabled during installation)

ffdshow handles xvid, mpeg, m2v, playback.
divx pro handles divx 3,4,5 playback.

Unless you plan on doing divx encoding I'd recommend you just install ffdshow with the default settings. That provides the cleanest setup.
Old 12-30-04, 07:13 AM   #5
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You might also want to consider using XviD rather than DivX. It's better, IMO, and it's free to encode/decode and doesn't try to default you into displaying a stupid logo bug.
Old 12-30-04, 11:19 PM   #6
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys...where do you all download these? At download.com or elsewhere?
Old 12-30-04, 11:28 PM   #7
cupon
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Thanks guys...where do you all download these? At download.com or elsewhere?
http://www.free-codecs.com - use the search form on the left sidebar to find what you need.

Other codec packs worth considering:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/search?search=k-lite

ffdshow and ac3 should really be all you need, but the k-lite codec packs are decent as well.

If you have a DVD player some of the k-lite codec packs contain the newest Nov 2004 version of the cyberlink decoders (CLLine21.ax, CLNAVX.ax, CLVSD.ax).