Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-22-04, 12:17 PM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I need a simple S-video out video card...

I am setting up a pretty weak system for my father. It will be used solely for a golf simulator and doesn't require much in the way of power. I need a card that will allow him to use a TV with s-video rather than a monitor. It would be nice to have a 128 mb one that will allow for some cool graphics with the simulator, but he is not concerned with that.

We are dealing with a celeron 366 mhz with 256 mb ram, video is currently the shared crappy Intel deal, and I am running 98 SE.

Any ideas of what I can use?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-22-04, 12:31 PM   #2
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does it have an AGP slot?

I'd go to Newegg.com, and check out their video card section. You can easily search on 128meg cards with SVideo out. There's a ton available. I'd probably check out one of the ATI 9200SE cards. They're pretty cheap ($45).
Old 11-22-04, 12:33 PM   #3
X
Administrator

There's an older MX card (I believe it is) that is acknowledged to provide the best s-video output. It may have been mentioned in here (perhaps by me) and you could probably do a search on "s-video" to find the post(s). It would have been quite a while ago.
Old 11-22-04, 01:20 PM   #4
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I will look. It will need to be PCI.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 11-22-04, 01:21 PM   #5
X
Administrator

I believe it is available that way.

I've done a bit of research and it appears people dislike the GeForce4 MX440 more than they like it.

I did find some good comments on cards based on the nVidia FX5700. Here are a few that have PCI (one has AGP).

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProd...00&srchFor=pci
Old 11-22-04, 06:33 PM   #6
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

I forget what I picked up, but just a basic PCI 128mb card with video out. It wasn't the mx, though. Thanks.