Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-14-04, 11:19 PM   #1
mrmagoo

Can I complain about my Ipod''s battery life and ask for advice here?

Hi all

Hope this is the correct forum for this, if not then mr. moderator feel free to move it where you think it needs to be moved.

Also, I am going to appologize right from the start here, cause I KNOW this has been discussed here before, but at that time I did not need the help or advice (now I do)

Here's the deal :-)

Its only been about 4-6 months since I bought my Ipod, the 40 gig 10,000 song one, and its the "older" model, not the one with the click wheel.

I use my ipod 5 days a week for 8 hours a day. My battery life in the beginning was 8 hours as advertised, but I realize now (a mere 4-6 months later) its somewhere between 6-7 hours battery life!!!!!!!!!

What can be done about this? And will I be the one responsible for doing it? From what I read online so far is that this is a major problem with all/most ipod users with the "older" model ipods, and apple wants you to send your ipod in to them and they will replace the battery, but at YOUR expense for both shipping and battery costs, even though the faulty battery's are THIER fault. Is there anyone here who is going through this, or has gone through this that can shed a little light on it for me. How much did it cost to fix? If you complain enough with they try to help you atleast? Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.
MrMagoo1974's 360 Blog
Old 10-14-04, 11:32 PM   #2
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did yuo buy a warranty for it from Best Buy or CompUSA? If so, take it back adn they will replace it with a 4G. (4th generation Clickwheel) If not, you can try calling Apple. Th warranty is, I belieev, 1 year, but nto sure if that includes the battery.
Old 10-14-04, 11:36 PM   #3
mrmagoo

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun3000
Did yuo buy a warranty for it from Best Buy or CompUSA? If so, take it back adn they will replace it with a 4G. (4th generation Clickwheel) If not, you can try calling Apple. Th warranty is, I belieev, 1 year, but nto sure if that includes the battery.

I bought it directly from apple.com ( i wanted the free laser engraving)
MrMagoo1974's 360 Blog
Old 10-15-04, 08:17 AM   #4
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i think it's a limitation of that generation's battery technology

will a retail store really replace it if it still works, but the battery doesn't last as long? I thought it was a normal thing with rechargable batteries.

best advice i can give, is don't drain the battery. charge it up at work/school or anywhere you go between use.
Old 10-15-04, 09:06 AM   #5
danw
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you using 128 kbps (or lower) AAC files on your iPod? If not--and I'm guessing not, as most of us use MP3 I think--you won't get the advertised battery life. Higher data rate = larger file, which means fewer files fit into the buffer. That means the hard drive needs to be spun more often to get the music, which drains the battery faster.
Old 10-15-04, 09:48 AM   #6
Maxwell Smart
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is why I got the best buy warranty, I hope the battery goes out right when the new models cum out.
Old 10-15-04, 03:37 PM   #7
mrmagoo

Quote:
Originally posted by danw
Are you using 128 kbps (or lower) AAC files on your iPod? If not--and I'm guessing not, as most of us use MP3 I think--you won't get the advertised battery life. Higher data rate = larger file, which means fewer files fit into the buffer. That means the hard drive needs to be spun more often to get the music, which drains the battery faster.

128 aac is EXACTLY what I am using...NO MP3's.... Even if the music file I want to use originally an mp3, i convert it to aac before putting it into my ipod. I really like the quality of the AAC files, cant say enough good about them..
MrMagoo1974's 360 Blog
Old 10-15-04, 04:18 PM   #8
Otto
Banned

Umm, the batteries are not faulty. Over time, all rechargables lose effectiveness. Can't be helped.

You can replace the battery yourself easily enough though. See www.ipodbattery.com .
Old 10-15-04, 04:31 PM   #9
cowboy

6-7 hours is better than normal. just charge it nightly and learn to deal with it. there's nothing wrong with your ipod so don't worry about it. I have an adapter at home, work, and for the car. If you need to use your ipod in those situations, I suggest you pick them up too.
Old 02-18-05, 07:36 AM   #10
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

Another battery question:

I've had my iPod for a couple of months, and find the battery life horrible. However, I do use the iTrip with it from time to time, so I know that that is one of the causes.

My question is about recharging it. I know with cell phones that there are certain ones that you are not supposed to recharge until the battery is almost completely dead. What about the iPod? Does that have the be run down a certain amount? Can it be charged daily? If it is charged daily, won't it reduce the overall life of the battery? It seems as the battery indicator is not a great guide, as it can go from fully charged to less than half charged in a couple of songs.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-18-05, 12:15 PM   #11
Mordred
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking
My question is about recharging it. I know with cell phones that there are certain ones that you are not supposed to recharge until the battery is almost completely dead. What about the iPod? Does that have the be run down a certain amount? Can it be charged daily? If it is charged daily, won't it reduce the overall life of the battery? It seems as the battery indicator is not a great guide, as it can go from fully charged to less than half charged in a couple of songs.
Apple recommends you do not run the battery completely down.

HOWEVER...

To test the battery to determine if it's faulty, Apple tells you to fully charge it, put on a long playlist and then let it run till it stops without touching any controls. On iPodlounge I noticed that they tested some iPod Minis this way. I don't remember the exact numbers but they went something like this: 1st Test - 9hrs, 2nd Test - 10 hrs, 3rd Test 10.5 hours, 4th Test 11 hours, 5th Test 10.5 hours.

So I tested my wifes 40Gig 4G under our normal use (cause I hate random playlist stuff). I'd play one album then when it finished I'd play a different album. My first test the iPod lasted for a disappointing 7 hours. 2nd Test the Ipod lasted for over 9 hours. 3rd Test was in 9 to 10 hour range. My personal advice is to completely drain the battery at least 2-3 times to maximize performance from the battery.

Also to increase battery life, don't encode songs at high bitrates, don't use the backlight and don't skip songs if you can help it.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 02-18-05, 12:29 PM   #12
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

So it actually seems to build battery capacity after you drain it a few times? That's very interesting.
Old 02-18-05, 12:31 PM   #13
Meatpants
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Another battery question:

I've had my iPod for a couple of months, and find the battery life horrible. However, I do use the iTrip with it from time to time, so I know that that is one of the causes.

Any thoughts?
http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...threadid=19556
Old 02-18-05, 01:27 PM   #14
Otto
Banned

Quote:

Any thoughts?
The iPod uses a Lithium Ion battery. LiONs are most effective when you charge them, basically, all the time. Whenever you're not using it while walking around, it should be docked and charging.

The battery indicator is not a great guide and never will be because it's not making any sort of accurate measurement, as such. The hardware to accurately measure the remaining power in the battery in a small form factor has not really been invented yet. All battery life indicators are "best guess" sort of thing. It is measuring something (in the iPod's case, voltage), but that measurement is not really a good way to tell how much power is left in the thing.

And of course, battery life is dependant on what you play and your use of the thing. If I stick an audiobook at a low bitrate on there, My "8 hour life" iPod will play for 14-15 hours, at least. The low bitrate means it has to access the drive of a lot less, sort of thing. Skipping songs a lot means the hard drive powers up more often. Higher bitrates=same thing.

Last edited by Otto; 02-18-05 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 01:59 PM   #15
mgbfan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
The iPod uses a Lithium Ion battery. LiONs are most effective when you charge them, basically, all the time. Whenever you're not using it while walking around, it should be docked and charging.
Wow - interesting. I was in an Apple store this weekend and overheard one of the salesworkers talking to someone about an iPod. He said that an iPod battery is good for about 300 charges, or cycles, and that every time you charge one, it basically eats up one of those cycles.

He told the person pretty much don't charge it ever until you have to, because if it gets charged every day, it'll only last a year.

I thought that sounded wrong at the time, but I figured if he's an Apple employee ... hmm.
Old 02-18-05, 02:23 PM   #16
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all of the great information and links.

On Apple's site, it mentions:
  • Do not charge iPod while it is in a carrying case or cover.

I am assuming this has something to do with heat, but aren't most covers and cases made especially now in order to be able to charge them while still in the case/cover? I know that I never take my cover off. Is that a mistake?
Old 02-18-05, 02:29 PM   #17
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbfan
Wow - interesting. I was in an Apple store this weekend and overheard one of the salesworkers talking to someone about an iPod. He said that an iPod battery is good for about 300 charges, or cycles, and that every time you charge one, it basically eats up one of those cycles.

He told the person pretty much don't charge it ever until you have to, because if it gets charged every day, it'll only last a year.

I thought that sounded wrong at the time, but I figured if he's an Apple employee ... hmm.

The 300 is true, but that is 300 full charges. It does not eat up a full cycle on a Li-Ion when you do a partial charge. If you keep it topped off and minimize the deep charges a Li-Ion can last 3-5 years.

The confusion usually comes with the differences in Li-Ions and other types of batteries like Ni-Cads that have memory and need full discharges for maximum life. The clerk was wrong, but that the different rules for rechargables can be confusing.

Last edited by darkside; 02-18-05 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-18-05, 02:50 PM   #18
Otto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbfan
Well, you were right and he was wrong. LiONs should be in basically a constant state of charging when not being used, as much as possible.

And if it had been me, the fact that he's an Apple employee would have only confirmed that he had no clue WTF he was talking about. I know many Apple employees.
Old 02-18-05, 02:55 PM   #19
Otto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside
The confusion usually comes with the differences in Li-Ions and other types of batteries like Ni-Cads that have memory and need full discharges for maximum life. The clerk was wrong, but that the different rules for rechargables can be confusing.
Actually, no battery anywhere has memory effect. What is usually called "memory effect" is better called "voltage depression" because that's what's actually happening. It's not so much a problem with the type of battery, but from overcharging or incorrectly charging the batteries. Using a more modern smart charger (not a "rapid" charger), you can basically charge them anytime you please and have no issues. Pretty much any device with a built in charger (like a cell phone) will correctly charge the battery without any issues.