Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-01-04, 10:54 PM   #1
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Question about connecting to a wireless network?

Ok, here's the situation.

Got a new laptop at work. The IT guys deleted the drivers for the built in wireless card.

I got the drivers from my boss and installed them. It sees a connection, however I can't connect via IE.

I am running through a proxy at work, and I've tried changing the settings, but I still can't get it to work.

Any ideas?
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-02-04, 12:11 AM   #2
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you able to see other machines on the network?

Are you able to ping your proxy server?
Old 04-02-04, 12:26 AM   #3
sniper308
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you connecting wirelessly at work or using the wireless connection at home? If you are using the wireless connection at home, and connect to your home wireless network okay and can ping inside and outside your network at home, then I'd try just setting the connection in IE to "Direct Connection to the Internet" instead of using the proxy. (Note: you'll have to change IE back to using the proxy when you get back and connect from work). Then refresh the page or try and access yahoo or some other site.

Also, if you are running Win 2000, there may be group policies set up to deny you access to the connections tab in IE. There are ways around that depending on what kind of rights, you have on the machine, but if that is the case, the simplest thing to do (depending on your rights, etc to install software) would be to download another browser (such as Firebird, etc) and then set it up for a direct internet connection.
Old 04-02-04, 08:04 AM   #4
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally posted by belboz
Are you able to see other machines on the network?

Are you able to ping your proxy server?
I can see that there is a connection available, but no, I can not see other machines.

I haven't tried to ping my proxy server.

Quote:
Originally posted by sniper308
Are you connecting wirelessly at work or using the wireless connection at home? If you are using the wireless connection at home, and connect to your home wireless network okay and can ping inside and outside your network at home, then I'd try just setting the connection in IE to "Direct Connection to the Internet" instead of using the proxy. (Note: you'll have to change IE back to using the proxy when you get back and connect from work). Then refresh the page or try and access yahoo or some other site.

Also, if you are running Win 2000, there may be group policies set up to deny you access to the connections tab in IE. There are ways around that depending on what kind of rights, you have on the machine, but if that is the case, the simplest thing to do (depending on your rights, etc to install software) would be to download another browser (such as Firebird, etc) and then set it up for a direct internet connection.
See, I tried setting up the direct connection is the Tool -- Options menu of IE, but I still couldn't get it to work. I think you may be right. The IT guys may have set it up that way so that I couldn't do certain things.

I'll mess around w/ it today and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the info.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-02-04, 01:58 PM   #5
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Usually, when machines on a LAN can't see each other, it's because they're not on the same subnet.

I need to explain a bit about IP addresses first. Of the four parts of an IP address (e.g., 66.7.164.225), the first two determine the domain. DVD Talk has one (66.7.x.x); CNN.com has one (64,236.x.x); etc.

The address 192.168.x.x is special, though - it's used to identify an internal network. Every machine within DVD Talk is publicly identified as 66.7.x.x, but privately identified (i.e., among the machines in Geoff's basement) as 192.168.x.x.

The other two parts identify a subnet and a machine. The "subnet" is a grouping concept, so that all of the machines in a domain aren't all in the same generic pool. And, of course, the machine identifier is unique for each machine on the network.

It's usually true (but not always) that the sixteen bits that comprise the last two digits are evenly split, so that the third number identifies the subnet and the fourth identifies the machine. A large corporation might put the administration computers in the 0 subnet (192.168.0.x), the mail servers in the 1 subnet, the webservers in the 2 subnet, etc.

So here's the key. If the machines in your LAN can see something (e.g., if they can reach the Internet through a router) but can't see each other, they're probably on different subnets. One might have the address 192.168.1.100, and the other might have 192.168.2.100. If you put them on the same subnet, their problems may resolve.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.