Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-14-04, 11:41 PM   #1
Mongo
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any laws requiring minimum connection speed availability?

Hi all,

As I've b-----d and moaned about before, I'm stuck on a dialup connection because of the crappy ass cable company in this area. The part that pisses me off is Time Warner's lines run within a mile past my house and serve most of the town, except this particular subdivision...

To add insult to injury, the phone lines suck in the area and the absolute best I can connect at is 31.2 (usually 28.8 or 26.6)
(I've tried other ISPs too just in case it was a problem at their end, but always get the same connection regardless of which dialup ISP I use.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? Either some deregulation law I can cite to get TW allowed into the area? Hell, I'd even settle for at least a real 56k connection, any regulations requiring that phone line quality be suitable for a faster connection?

Old 01-14-04, 11:49 PM   #2
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uh no, there is no law that requires a minimum data speed.
Old 01-15-04, 03:30 AM   #3
Mongo
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, there is (or at least there was at one point...)

Back in the day when 14.4s were just coming out (or maybe when 28.8s? not exactly sure) there was a law stating that line quality must be good enough to establish at least a 2400 baud connection.

Was kind of hoping maybe that law had been updated....
Old 01-15-04, 03:33 AM   #4
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if it was part of any regulation, but I remember our phone company (GTE at the time) had a guaranteed connect rate below which they would come out and put in new lines if your old lines couldn't manage anything faster. However, the guaranteed rate was something absurdly low so it was sort of moot.

Basically, your SOL. I'm sure you've considered satellite?
Old 01-15-04, 06:32 AM   #5
I.Like.It

Plus the phone company shouldn't be resonsible for the crappy lines found in older homes or the poor installation found in new homes.
Old 01-15-04, 06:47 AM   #6
Mongo
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem isn't the wiring inside the house. I've run a wire directly from the computer to the telco box to test that.

(Plus I've had the same problem in 2 different houses that are next door to each other)

Yeah, I've considered satellite, but the problem is they require a 1 year contract, and I'll be moving in 6 months.
Old 01-15-04, 07:22 AM   #7
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

On dial up the connection that you are getting isn't as important as the back end network at the ISP. One place I worked we changed out some dial in modems and conncetion speeds dropped from the high 40's to low 30's. The speed of the connection went up because on the backend we changed out a 10Mbps line with a 100Mbps line and we connected it to a switch instead of a hub.

Have you looked at DSL or maybe the thing with two phone lines connected to the computer?
Old 01-15-04, 07:31 AM   #8
OldDude
DVD Talk Legend

You might check whether there are any updated drivers for your modem (find their website). I had this problem and found an updated driver. It pushed my connection speeds from low 30's (and highly variable) to lows 40's and less variable. Helped a bit; not as much as broadband, but better than nothing.
Old 01-15-04, 10:05 AM   #9
cseyer
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try a different modem. I tried two v.90 modems back to back in the same computer with the same phone line and was able to consistently get in the 40's with one while the other was strictly 28.8 or below.

I am now thank god on a broadband connection but I feel your pain!
Old 01-15-04, 12:00 PM   #10
Dave99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about wireless? I've seen more of those popping up on rooftops here in iowa lately..

Dave
Old 01-15-04, 02:31 PM   #11
FuzzyBallz
Suspended

Instead of bitching and moaning here like you're some illegal immigrant who can't even vote, why don't you get your ass up and write to your local politicians and demand that you don't get treated like 3rd class citizen. Tell 'em you don't wanna wait 5 minutes to load a pic of young hotties. Get your neighborhood involve too. Get together and spam the damn politicians.
Old 01-15-04, 05:27 PM   #12
Mongo
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Instead of bitching and moaning here like you're some illegal immigrant who can't even vote, why don't you get your ass up and write to your local politicians and demand that you don't get treated like 3rd class citizen. Tell 'em you don't wanna wait 5 minutes to load a pic of young hotties. Get your neighborhood involve too. Get together and spam the damn politicians.
Oh man, don't even get me started...that's a whole different rant. I HAVE done that. I've called just about every single department for both the city and county. No one in any (*#@)@ department has a frigging clue what I'm talking about, or who is responsible. They can't even come up with a straight answer as to if it's a city issue or county issue. (I live outside the actual city limits.)
Old 01-16-04, 12:36 PM   #13
TheSilverSurfer

not much call for it these days but....ISDN? Get a second line with the phone company....they may still do theses.

i understood cable isn't available...DSL a no go too?