Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-08-04, 07:38 AM   #1
Feneant
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Zone Alarm problems

At my parent's house, I set them up initially with a switch and zone alarm for protection on the 2 pc's. Due to problems with the cable modem (or a very incompetent installer), they couldn't get the modem's ethernet port to work so they had to use USB which the switch doesn't have. The connection is therefore as follows :

Cable modem via USB to PC1NIC1
PC1NIC2 to Switch
PC2 to switch using pc 1 as a gateway

Now, this all used to work, but something crashed over the weekend and now PC2 can't connect to the internet although PC1 has no problem. I reinstalled Zone Alarm and added the second pc IP and IP range as it's DHCP to the truste zone, but it still blocks them. I tried setting a static ip and adding it to the trusted zone but it blocked, I tried using WinXP's configuration thing to assign an IP but it's also blocked. I lowered the security settings for the network to low on Zone Alarm but it still blocks every single connection attempt from the second pc through the first one.

I did notice that the first pc is configured oddly in that there are network bridges setup for some reason. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I tried for an hour or so with the settings and if I disable the firewall and redo the connection through XP, it works flawlessly, but the second I turn on this wonky firewall, it blocks the connection.

(I'm willing to install a different free firewall software if needed, I'm not a big fan of zone alarm anyways)