Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-12-03, 05:08 PM   #1
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Help me buy a monitor

At some point, I am going to need to buy a monitor for the new pc. I am looking for a hot deal, of course, and know to check out FW and here for deals (any other places?), but I need to know how to identify a hot deal when I get one.

I don't do much/any gaming, but I do plan on watching DVD's on the monitor, so it needs to be good enough to do that fairly well.

I want at least a 19" monitor (a CRT, whatever that means) or at least a 17" LCD.

What sort of stats/specs should I be looking at? Are there brands to look for, ones to avoid? Are there good sites to look at for reviews? What is a good deal pricewise? I see all sorts of deals, but I don't know how to differentiate one 19" CRT from another, or one LCD from another.

Any info is much appreciated...

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-12-03, 06:15 PM   #2
sararekuforever

This is my problem to. One CRT on my other system died and I need a new monitor, but I do not want to waste 50 to 150 on a new CRT. Anyone have a link to a decent 15 or 17 inch LCD for my main system, that is at least 200 and not more than 300
Old 11-12-03, 07:25 PM   #3
namja
Stealth Moderator

The only periodic hot deal that I know of is the Dell UltraSharp LCD monitors. They go on a BIG sale about once every other month. The Dell 18" UltraSharp, normally $550, can be had for around $400 (after % off sale and coupon). The Dell 19" UltraSharp can be had for about $475, normally $679.

I'd definitely get an LCD. Much easier on the eyes, takes up less desk space, easier to move, uses less energy, etc.

life in high definition
Old 11-13-03, 10:59 AM   #4
LurkerDan
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info, namja.

But what I'm really looking for is info on how to differentiate between monitors, i.e. if I see a monitor with a relatively cheap price, how do I assess whether it's a good deal? Are there certain numbers I should be looking for (DPI? Refresh rate? These are 2 things I have seen)? Are there good brands and bad ones? Sites to look for reviews of specific models?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-13-03, 10:57 PM   #5
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

i'd second the dell monitors. good quality at a good price. i watch dvds on my dell 1901fp, and it looks fine. the price is not the only concern, it depends on the specs, and more importantly, the quality of the monitor.