Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-05-03, 10:23 AM   #1
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Need Help Buying a Mac

If I want to do some work from home at my new job I'll have to buy a Mac. Ive always used a PC at home (for gaming) and Macs at work, so ive never ever bought one.

Im pretty sure i want a powerbook so i can take it in the car or out of the house.

-- Do they make a laptop that has dual processors? I need that believe it or not.

-- When in the next 3 months should i buy one? Before/after Christmas? January?

-- Im not in the 'mac scene'; are there any rumors of an upgrade/new ver. of powerbook? Maybe after the new year?

-- Im pretty sure i still want to use a PC for internet. Do i still have to pay for all the wireless stuff on a powerbook? Does apple customize anything to lower the price?

I know most people here are PC people but Thot I'd ask anyway--any help is appreciated--especially on the 'when to buy' questions if nothing else.

thx!
Old 11-05-03, 04:14 PM   #2
Jason
DVD Talk Legend

No DP laptops. They've been rumored/talked about for ages, but I really don't see one coming.

The current powerbooks haven't been out long, so it'll probably early 2004 before there are any new models. It's too early to tell if the G5 wlll make it to the powerbook then.

I've found my PC to be the superior machine for internet surfing. Safari is a decent browser, but the sad truth of the matter is the internet works best with the most recent version of Internet Explorer for Windows.
Old 11-05-03, 10:54 PM   #3
bill_n_opus
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know - maybe try mac-forums.com or something like that.

As for dual-proc laptops .. I don't know if there are even pc laptops with duals.

I do know that the new g5 is dual capable ... but they are fairly expensive.

w-y
Old 11-10-03, 03:54 AM   #4
TheBang
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Need Help Buying a Mac

Quote:
Originally posted by Save Ferris
If I want to do some work from home at my new job I'll have to buy a Mac. Ive always used a PC at home (for gaming) and Macs at work, so ive never ever bought one.

Im pretty sure i want a powerbook so i can take it in the car or out of the house.

-- Do they make a laptop that has dual processors? I need that believe it or not.

-- When in the next 3 months should i buy one? Before/after Christmas? January?

-- Im not in the 'mac scene'; are there any rumors of an upgrade/new ver. of powerbook? Maybe after the new year?

-- Im pretty sure i still want to use a PC for internet. Do i still have to pay for all the wireless stuff on a powerbook? Does apple customize anything to lower the price?

I know most people here are PC people but Thot I'd ask anyway--any help is appreciated--especially on the 'when to buy' questions if nothing else.

thx!
No dual processors in laptops. If you want dual processor, you have to buy a PowerMac G5 desktop machine.

They just barely refreshed the Powerbook line a little over a month ago, so no new laptops coming for a while.

As far as customizing, wireless, etc., the best place to do that is at the Apple Store online at http://store.apple.com

Also, for getting the best price, if you know someone in Education, they can buy one Apple laptop per year at the Apple Education Store (click the Education link at the Apple Store). Or, if you know someone that works for the government (state or federal), they can also sponsor 5 friends/family per year for purchases at the Government Store (click on the Government link), which has discounts almost as good as the Education store.
Old 11-10-03, 05:06 PM   #5
SpaceBoy
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would wait if you can. They did upgrade the powerbooks not that long ago, however since then they have jacked up the ibooks too, so now the top of the line ibook and bottem of the line powerbook are very similiar for a big price difference. I would bet they will get G5 powerbooks out around 1st quarter of next year.. That's just me purely speculating though. I decided I'm going to wait on it, since I'm doing fine with what I currently have.
Old 11-10-03, 06:30 PM   #6
Michael T Hudson
DVD Talk Legend

http://forums.macnn.com/index.php?s=