Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-21-03, 09:42 AM   #1
Phyre

Computer Speaker Dilemma

I need new speakers for my new computer but I have an odd issue. I only use sound to listen to mp3s and play games. The former only needs a nice 2.1 system but the latter necesitates surround sound. My desk, however, is placed in such a way in my room that I have nowhere to put the rear speakers in a 4.1 or 5.1 setup, yet I need simulated surround sound. Are there any solutions out there?
Old 09-21-03, 11:57 PM   #2
eedoon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can always hang your rear speaker on the wall. A couple years ago Creative made a speaker bracket that hang your rear speaker from the monitor. I don't know whether they still make it or not though.
Old 09-22-03, 01:38 AM   #3
DeadLamb

Well one idea (and what I have done) is to get an ok speaker set up for the mp3's etc.. then split the sound and run head phones for the the games.. If you are playing a game that needs really good positional sound headphones are x10 better at that anyways.. if the the game is one that positional sound is not big deal, ya could just use the speakers..

errr and by headphones I mean a good pair you really like.. not some cheapy $30 pair.

ya could buy the smallest set of speakers and find some way to mount them to the chair? I mean that sound strange but no more so then this weird pipe set up I saw one time.. Started out bolted the the desk then it sort shot up and hind the where a chair might be.. Speakers mounted at the end..

cpu speakers being so light he was able to make it out some sort of flex pipe.. Strange.. they were high enough to walk under them too..

Ya know, you don't really need to have the speakers set up in perfect place.. Even sort of behind ya or wall mounted or not evenly apart will still get ya pretty good surround sound.. Errr btu as I said, I'm a bigger fan of the headphones.. Run a set of Sony 7506 pros
Old 09-22-03, 10:00 AM   #4
Joshic
DVD Talk Special Edition

As nice as it would be to be able to get surround sound only from speakers that are in front of you, it's just not physically possible. The only way to get surround sound is to actually place a speaker behind you.

Don't fall for gimmicks from other companies saying that they have "simulated" surround sound. It just doesn't work.
Old 09-22-03, 01:40 PM   #5
Phyre

Well considering the location of my desk/chair it simply is not possible to put rear speakers anywhere. Thanks for the warning Joshic, I was thinking about looking at some that professed that feature.

Deadlamb, can you recommend a pair of good positional headphones?