Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-22-03, 10:48 PM   #1
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pinnacle Studio DV version 8? Is this Good Software?

Hey guys,

I want to be able to edit my home movies and transfer them to either CD's or DVD's, and it looks like this software can do it?

Do others like it? Is it buggy? Also, I don't have a CD burner or DVD burner...can you recommend one or the other, or one where I can get a burner that burns BOTH cd's and dvd's?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-03, 10:57 PM   #2
X
Administrator

I've played with it a little and it looks pretty good. I'm trying to input VHS video and burn DVD.

What I've discovered so far is that you better have a very fast CPU to be able to encode video to the best quality without dropping frames. And I've found a few bugs.
Old 06-23-03, 12:22 AM   #3
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

X,

How fast is very fast? And what kind of bugs?
Old 06-23-03, 03:14 AM   #4
X
Administrator

I can tell you 800MHz P3 is much too slow. A 2.4GHz P4 was fast enough.

There are some issues with particular inputs being recognized with their latest updates. And what levels of compression are available based on the input method. I'm talking to Pinnacle about that now.
Old 06-23-03, 10:56 AM   #5
Nosmo Rex
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have also used Studio 8 for capturing from my MiniDV camera, as well as S-Video via a video capture card. I claim no expertise, but it has worked fine for me. There are some things that aren't particularly intuitive, such as how to choose the input signal. I did manage to make a semi-cool VCD of some Vegas vacation video, with voice-overs and background music that impressed my wife.
Old 06-28-03, 05:19 PM   #6
PacMan2006
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds good. How many GB's do you guys have regarding your hard drive? I'm thinking about having Comp USA install one for me, along with a CD burner and the Pinnacle software?

How many GB's should I get? 60? 80?

Also, what kind of Burner is good in your opinion? I've heard Plextor is solid...?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-03, 07:15 PM   #7
RolloTomasi
DVD Talk Special Edition

DV is roughly 5 minutes per GB. I don't know about encoding analog formats to the PC, but I imagine the space requirements would be a lot less. However, if you are using DV, then depending on how much video you have, 80 might suit you... with all the other stuff I had on my old HD, 80 wasn't nearly enough for me, and I quickly filled up the 60 GB external hard drive I had as well. On my new PC I have 240 GB, which gives me enough breathing room. Of course, YMMV.
"Film is often just business -- I understand that and it's not something I concern myself with. But if film aspires to be part of culture, it should do the things great literature, music and art do: elevate the spirit, help us understand ourselves and the world around us and give people the feeling they are not alone."

--Krzysztof Kieslowski