Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-17-03, 01:25 AM   #1
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spyware question

I have recently been having pop-ups while surfing that occur through Windows (or some non-browser program). That is, they are essentially Windows dialoge boxes with the message (usually sex or scam oriented) that have an OK button. I get these while surfing sites like Yahoo and DVD Talk, so I know it isn't from the sites. That leads me to believe I somehow have some spyware running. I ran the most recent Adware 6 software, and cleared everything I found (which was much more that I expected), but I still get the pop-up. I also have an up-to-date Norton AntiVirus running.

This problem seemed to start after I started running Morpheus and Kazaa, but it may have started earlier and I didn't take note of it. I also am running Callwave and Getright, but I don't think they would be causing it.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for? Any program that would be better than Adware 6? Is it Morpheus or Kazaa?
Old 02-17-03, 01:29 AM   #2
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its using windows messaging service, if you have a firewall block port 139, if not i'm sure someone else will tell you what to do since i've forgotten.
Old 02-17-03, 10:23 AM   #3
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but I have no firewall that I know of. It is a dial-up connection. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 02-17-03, 11:32 AM   #4
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Get one of two programs: Ad-Aware 6, which is pretty good; or "Spybot Seek & Destroy," which is less well-known but more effective. Except for a few incredibly vicious spyware apps, either of these should clean up your system.

Incidentally: Whenever you get a pop-up with a "Yes" box (to follow some promotion) or a "No" box (to do nothing), don't click either box. Make sure the window is active (select it from the start bar, if not) and use Alt-F4 to close the window. Reason: Some spyware actually maps "Yes" and "No" to the same function; clicking either box can cause a host of problems, like software install, adding entries to Favorites, changing start page, etc.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.
Old 02-17-03, 01:38 PM   #5
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I heard about Spybot from another thread, and just tried it. I'll have to see if it works, as it did find stuff Ad-Aware 6 had missed. Whenever the things do pop up, I never click the button (always just OK, no Yes/No choice), but close it by clicking the close X in the top right corner. Is that bad?
Old 02-17-03, 02:05 PM   #6
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by SunMonkey
I never click the button (always just OK, no Yes/No choice), but close it by clicking the close X in the top right corner. Is that bad?
I think it has the potential to be just as bad. Pop-up ads don't have to appear in a browser window - e.g., full-screen ads aren't that uncommon. So a malicious pop-up could easily be a non-browser window that looks like a browser window, only with the "X" close button mapped to some other garbage in addition to Close Window.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.
Old 03-01-03, 02:59 PM   #7
SunMonkey
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I guess I will bump this back up to see if anyone has a solution since I am STILL getting pop-ups through windows messaging service. Is there any way to stop this? Ad-aware and Spybot did not work.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-03, 07:07 PM   #8
Kdogg

Did you try to disable Messenger? In XP go to your Administrator Tools folder (in the Start Menu or through the control panel) and click Services. Find the Messenger program and disable it. That may work. Also there is no harm in downloading ZoneAlarm and running it even over dial up. You may be surprised what programs are connecnting to the net.