Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-13-03, 08:58 PM   #1
namja
Stealth Moderator

Share with us some cool freewares (totally free only)

Post-it Software Notes Lite 2.1.1.1023

Description:
What happens when you cross a Post-it Note with a computer? You get Post-it Software Notes--the classic yellow note designed for your PC. Use the software from the company that invented the Post-it Note. This digital version of 3M's famous canary yellow note is perfect for quick reminders on your computer desktop so you never miss a meeting, event, or thought. With this free Lite version of Post-it Software Notes, you can create your own notes with pictures and hyperlinks, stick notes on your computer desktop, and add alarms to your notes as reminders. You can also subscribe to receive information on a Post-it Software Note from Web sites that provide this service. If you are interested in additional features, such as organizing notes in memoboards or sending notes to others on your LAN, check out other versions of Post-it Software Notes.

NOTE: There is a newer version available (version 3) but you gotta pay to get some of the features that was free under version 2, such as the ability to change the color of the post-it pad. On the freeware version of v.3, you only get the classic yellow pad (you can still change font colors though).

life in high definition
Old 02-13-03, 10:04 PM   #2
HN
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Irfanview
Graphic viewer and editor that supports maaaaaaaaany file formats.

Startup Delayer
"When Windows loads it's Startup file, it attempts to load every program in there at the same time. Therefore if you have quite a lot of programs starting when Windows starts, each program will try and grab CPU time so that it can load...."

Ad-Aware
Kill the spyware.

Dave's Quick Search Task Bar
Not just a search bar on your task bar. "Do Yahoo searches with a "yh question", get Merriam-Webster definitions with a "colon:", get Bloomberg stock quotes like this "msft intc csco$", and find Switchboard phone numbers by saying "Lois Lane#". You can search real "news." search "newsgroups," check "weather*", or "comparison shop$$". There's a built in calculator when you need to know "pow(1.0625, 30)" is 6.1640785. And so on..."

Enjoy. More later...

--HN
Old 02-13-03, 10:06 PM   #3
emanon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Faaaaaaaaaaah....I saw the thread subject, and figured I'd ante up Irfanview.

I guess I can at least second it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wholly endorse having sex with midgets for 1 simple reason: it makes my dick look bigger.
Old 02-13-03, 10:31 PM   #4
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just started using LeechFTP which is a pretty straightforward, meat & potatoes type of FTP client.
Old 02-13-03, 10:36 PM   #5
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

CDmage
Allows you to open all type of CD image files

Case Rename
I don't know who wrote the program since it's very old. Anyway, it's a cool little utility that allows you change the word casing. Just drag-n-drop

DivFix
"This program was created to be able to watch partially downloaded DivX (AVI) movies. It can rebuild or strip the index part of the movie, which is at the end of the file. There are also a basic error detection, which can detect serious errors in the audio/video stream."

AboutTime
"AboutTime is a superior source of time for your computer. As a time client, it will acquire time from the Internet with great accuracy, and as a server it will provide four kinds of time signals to other computers on your local network. "

Last edited by zuffy; 02-13-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 10:43 PM   #6
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

UltimateZIP
EasyPDF
DAEMON tools
DDump
db PowerAMP mp3 converter
Old 02-13-03, 11:14 PM   #7
shaun3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.ephpod.com

If you have an iPod and either Windows or Linux, this is the best interface out there. It beats the snot out of MusicMatch Jukebox, included with Windows version, with much increased transfer speeds. AND, it is free, unlike X Play.
Old 02-13-03, 11:25 PM   #8
namja
Stealth Moderator

DVD Talk in A Nutshell
This handy small toolbar (72K) will allow you to quickly search the Web, query DVD Talk's Review Database and Forum, Get the lowest price on what you're looking for and easily run searches at the top online DVD stores!

Click here for more details.

life in high definition
Old 02-13-03, 11:26 PM   #9
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SmartFTP
XNews
Eudora Light
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 02-14-03, 12:46 AM   #10
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Easy Thumbnails
Old 02-14-03, 07:45 AM   #11
Xanager
DVD Talk Special Edition

Binary News Reaper

My favorite newsreader for downloading binaries, especially with multiple servers.
Old 02-14-03, 01:28 PM   #12
shizawn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Foobar2000 - a simple, compact and fast (and some say better sounding) mp3/ogg player. It isn't pretty, but it's functional. For those tired of the bloatware that is Winamp3 and Windows Media Player.
Old 02-16-03, 06:57 AM   #13
tboogie

Re: Share with us some cool freewares (totally free only)

Quote:
Originally posted by namja
Post-it Software Notes Lite 2.1.1.1023

Description:
What happens when you cross a Post-it Note with a computer? You get Post-it Software Notes--the classic yellow note designed for your PC. Use the software from the company that invented the Post-it Note. This digital version of 3M's famous canary yellow note is perfect for quick reminders on your computer desktop so you never miss a meeting, event, or thought. With this free Lite version of Post-it Software Notes, you can create your own notes with pictures and hyperlinks, stick notes on your computer desktop, and add alarms to your notes as reminders. You can also subscribe to receive information on a Post-it Software Note from Web sites that provide this service. If you are interested in additional features, such as organizing notes in memoboards or sending notes to others on your LAN, check out other versions of Post-it Software Notes.
I was really interested in this one, but the link appears to be dead at the download site. Do you know where else I can find it?
Old 02-16-03, 12:16 PM   #14
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Share with us some cool freewares (totally free only)

Quote:
Originally posted by tboogie
I was really interested in this one, but the link appears to be dead at the download site. Do you know where else I can find it?
The link works for me
Old 02-16-03, 12:20 PM   #15
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that link seemed to work fine for me. However there is a newer version available which you can downlad at http://www.3m.com/market/office/post...tes/index.html

Great little program!

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Last edited by matome; 02-16-03 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-16-03, 12:21 PM   #16
Groucho

Exact Audio Copy (EAC)

Great software for ripping from CD's.

Use it with LAME for MP3 encoding!

This thread should be a sticky, since there are a lot of questions in this forum along the lines of "What's a free program that does ___________?"

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 02-16-03, 02:53 PM   #17
tboogie

Quote:
Originally posted by matome
Well, that link seemed to work fine for me. However there is a newer version available which you can downlad at http://www.3m.com/market/office/post...tes/index.html

Great little program!
That worked for me. Perhaps the original one didn't because I'm in Europe.
Old 02-16-03, 04:03 PM   #18
Thrush
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

RegCleaner Great tool for cleaning out your registry.
Old 02-16-03, 05:00 PM   #19
Trigger
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by matome

Great little program!
This program reminds me of that SNL fake commercial about electronic post-it notes...

Some of the SNL fake commercials products are pretty good ideas. I remember in the 80's they were making fun of razors that have 2 blades by making up one that had 3 blades saying the first blade pulled the hair and the second blade pulled it out even further and then the third blade cut it almost at the root so it would go under the skin or something... it was funny back then, but now the Mach 3 is the most popular blade ever.
Old 02-16-03, 08:11 PM   #20
matome
DVD Talk Legend

[quote]Originally posted by BigPete

XNews

This is a kick ass newsreader! Thanks!

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 02-17-03, 08:22 PM   #21
emanon
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a good one - WinVNC.

What is VNC? - A practical introduction

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote display system which allows you to view a computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running, but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine architectures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wholly endorse having sex with midgets for 1 simple reason: it makes my dick look bigger.
Old 02-18-03, 08:39 AM   #22
RoQuEr
DVD Talk Limited Edition

look up the anandtech one if you haven't already. They have 100's of good programs.
Old 02-18-03, 10:47 AM   #23
mkdevo
DVD Talk Limited Edition

shocked that no one listed POW! - everyone's favorite popup killer...

free from www.analogx.com
Old 02-18-03, 03:24 PM   #24
grip

Angry IP scanner

Scan network for open ports..

http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/

I SAY LET EM CRASH"
Old 02-20-03, 08:31 AM   #25
moyam
Banned

I tried POW. bout you have to tell it what pop ups it has to block. That is kind of gay.
Sponsored Links