Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-04, 09:19 AM   #101
DGibFen
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Someone mentioned this in the Other forum, but I'll post it here:

Fontifier

You can use your handwriting as a computer font. There are instruction on the website.

Note: Some users have suggested that you use a sharpie-type marker, then photoshopping it to a darker contrast to get a better result.

Peter Hitchens
Old 01-23-04, 09:34 PM   #102
ChrisHicks
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
OpenOffice. Open source, freeware office suite...word processer, spreadsheet, powerpoint, etc (think MSOffice). It even exports to PDF! (For Windows, Linux, and Solaris.)
does anyone here use this? which version should I download?
Old 01-23-04, 10:59 PM   #103
Beaver

The newest stable release is 1.1
Old 01-27-04, 12:25 PM   #104
pagansoul
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love:

www.webshots.com/

For my screensaver. They have a great collection of photos. There a two versions. One is free.
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. -- Marcus Cole, Babylon5

My Collection
Old 02-09-04, 06:31 PM   #105
Slowpc

Quote:
Originally posted by DGibFen
Someone mentioned this in the Other forum, but I'll post it here:

Fontifier

Dont know if this was free at one point , but it does cost 9 bucks to get the font u created. I printed it and checked the preview and it did pretty good.
Old 02-15-04, 05:54 PM   #106
FiveO
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
I prefer Statbar - www.statbar.nl - cleaner, faster, not as many options, but it's got all I need.
Sweet little program!

Thanks.
Old 02-16-04, 07:59 AM   #107
DGibFen
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowpc
Dont know if this was free at one point , but it does cost 9 bucks to get the font u created. I printed it and checked the preview and it did pretty good.
It was free at one point. Bummer.

Peter Hitchens
Old 02-22-04, 08:24 PM   #108
Sloth911
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Weather Watcher version 5.4a

http://www.singerscreations.com/

My friend made this software - is very good - gets info from weather.com - displays current temp in system tray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ad-free, spyware-free, hassle-free... Your weather, your way. View current conditions, hourly forecast, daily forecast, detailed forecast, severe weather alerts, and weather maps for almost any city world-wide!
Old 02-24-04, 05:01 PM   #109
DGibFen
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonr114
Weather Watcher version 5.4a

http://www.singerscreations.com/

My friend made this software - is very good - gets info from weather.com - displays current temp in system tray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ad-free, spyware-free, hassle-free... Your weather, your way. View current conditions, hourly forecast, daily forecast, detailed forecast, severe weather alerts, and weather maps for almost any city world-wide!
Very nice... it replaced Weatherbug for me!

Peter Hitchens
Old 03-12-04, 12:48 PM   #110
Groucho

Here's a nice program for all the bargain hunters in the forum. Helps you keep track of your pending rebates out there:

Rebate Rebate
Old 03-12-04, 01:26 PM   #111
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Nice rebate program! Now I may actually remember which ones I sent out.

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 04-06-04, 05:41 PM   #112
Gunshy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunshy
If you like Winzip but want a free clone, I suggest ZipCentral:

http://zipcentral.iscool.net/

I spent time late last year downloading all the free zip based compression tools I could find and ZipCentral was the most "Winzip"-like one I could find. Not really any bells and whistles but it gets the job done.

Also, if you need command line zip and unzip utilities, Infozip/unzip are excellent:

Infozip: http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html

Info-unzip: http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/UnZip.html

You just need the zip.exe and unzip.exe binaries to be put in your Windows system directory.

Free=joy

-Gunshy
Cool, you can quote yourself!

Anyway, I wanted to update the GUI zip utility suggestion I made by now suggesting UltimateZip...

UltimateZip

...instead of ZipCentral. Ultimate is also free but does not seem to have the bugs the other has plus it has a cleaner interface though still very similar to the poplular (but not quite free) WinZip.

Also, though I don't publish any freeware myself (yet) keep in mind that a lot of these authors have "donation" links (often paypal) on their site. I think it's a nice gesture to throw them a bone or two if you use their software a lot

-Gunshy

Some good deals here: SaveCity
Old 05-06-04, 11:07 AM   #113
wabio
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.tenzor.cz/clocx/

Clocx allows you to install a small (~2" diameter) clock on you desktop. It's skinnable and it's transparent too! Very handy if you have your taskbar on autohide.

http://www.wallpaperchanger.de/

Wallpaper changer allows you to manage all those pictures you have and automatically changes wallpaper at predetermined intervals.

Last edited by wabio; 05-06-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-06-04, 11:09 AM   #114
wabio
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know of any freeware that allows you to lock desktop folders with a password? All the ones I could find were 30 day trials.
Old 05-06-04, 11:11 AM   #115
wabio
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody should try summarizing all the programs that have been posted here....this thread is going to get long soon.
Old 05-23-04, 10:07 AM   #116
littlefuzzy

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I didn't see this mentioned, but f-prot is a decent freeware anti-virus program, that can run in DOS and fit on two floppies.
www.f-prot.com
They charge for some versions, but you can get free versions for home users for DOS, Linux, BSD, and Solaris SPARC/x86.

It is nice to be able to boot up with a command prompt only or using a boot disk, and run this program. I have disinfected my mother's friend's computer with this, when Norton and Symantec couldn't find anything.
Old 06-03-04, 09:58 AM   #117
Dave99
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was told about this the other day, looks to be a very handy IT program to have: (it also has lots of plugins available like ghost, adaware etc)
Quote:
Bart's PE Builder helps you build a "BartPE" (Bart Preinstalled Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.

It will give you a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share, virus scan and so on.
This will replace any Dos bootdisk in no time!

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

dave
Old 06-06-04, 08:43 PM   #118
Lynkz

NetworkActiv Web Server is a simple web server, intended primarily for file sharing directly from your computer. Just select the directory you want to share and start the server. It will automatically create an index page that lists all the files that are located in the directory.
Download from here:
http://www.webattack.com/freeware/se...ols/fwp2p.html
Home site:
http://www.networkactiv.com/WebServer.html
Old 06-07-04, 09:23 AM   #119
dtcarson
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

~300 MB of freeware/open source programs, available from:
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/

"TheOpenCD is a collection of high quality Free and Open Source Software. The programs run in Windows and cover the most common tasks such as word processing, presentations, e-mail, web browsing, web design, and image manipulation. "

Here's what's on it:

Office and Design: OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, PDFCreator, GIMP

Internet and Communication: Mozilla, Miranda IM, FileZilla, TightVNC, WinHTTrack, PuTTY

Multimedia and Games:
Audacity, CDex, Tux Paint, Crack Attack!, Sokoban YASC,
Neverball, Celestia, Really Slick Screensavers

Utilities and Other:7-Zip, SciTE, WinPT, NetTime

Download an ISO image, burn it to a disk, and use 'em up. You can order a CD also for five bucks. And if you don't have access to a cd burner, there's a link in the FAQ to ISOBuster, [free], which can read ISO images.

Disclaimer: I haven't downloaded this yet, [I'm at work], but I'm going to when I get home tonight.
Old 06-07-04, 04:00 PM   #120
ChrisHicks

another decent free zip program that works pretty good is ZipGenius
Old 06-12-04, 09:16 AM   #121
Gunshy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by wabio
Somebody should try summarizing all the programs that have been posted here....this thread is going to get long soon.
Your wish come true (I hope).

(see the latest freeware matrix here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....20#post7204778)

OK, yeah I've got too much free time on my hands

I hope the format doesn't wreck your viewing pleasure

OP feel free to copy this to your original post.

Here is the OpenOffice spreadsheet that I culled the csv file and ultimately HTML table from.

Here is the Perl script that generates the HTML from the csv file.

I'll do my best to keep this current if the OP chooses not to. Notice that some of the freeware is now no longer free (och, that was fast)

-Gunshy

Last edited by Gunshy; 08-10-06 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 05:24 PM   #122
wabio
DVD Talk Legend

That's huge Gunshy.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-04, 08:06 AM   #123
Gunshy
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by wabio
That's huge Gunshy.

Thanks!
Thanks Looking it over now I realize some of the prices (which most prolly don't care about) aren't formatted correctly. I also forgot to add some cool freeware I've since found out about and I can prolly remove those that are no longer free as those who wan't "free" prolly don't care and those that already use it know where to get the pay version. Lastly, the script that generates the HTML now does so directly from the spreadsheet (gotta love Perl/open source). I'll try to update it soon, after updating my BMG CD engine which is woefully out of date

-Gunshy

Old 06-15-04, 02:58 PM   #124
Roto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
anyone know of a freeware equivalent to download.com, tucows.com etc?
www.snapfiles.com (formerly webattack) has a fairly large Freeware section. They also rate the software 1-5 stars
Old 06-20-04, 04:54 AM   #125
Panda Phil
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.sonique.com is my personal favorite MP3/CD player with plenty of custom skins and plug-ins. I've tried WMP but I honestly think Sonique gives better sound repro.
"I think I could turn and live with animals. They are so placid and self-contained. They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins. They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God. Not one of them kneels to another or to his own kind that lived thousands of years ago. Not one of them is respectable or unhappy, all over the earth."
Sponsored Links