Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-26-03, 12:03 AM   #1
innocentfreak
DVD Talk Special Edition

How does this look for a new P4 system?

My current pc just won't do anymore so I am looking to get a new one and the sooner the better. I doubt I will do the build myself since I have no experience so if I have any volunteers..., but I would rather go custom than store bought.

I already have:
Windows XP Pro
Viewsonic 21 inch P815
1 Liteon 16x DVDrom
1 Liteon 32x12x40 CDRW
1 Maxtor 80gb 7200 ATA133
1 Maxtor 40gb 7200 ATA133
Intellimouse Explorer

Here is what I need:
Case...I am leaning towards the Antec 1080AMG w/power supply
CPU...Intel P4 2.4B has been recommended
RAM...Corsair 3200cl2 and 3500 cl2 both have been recommend
MOBO...Asus P4PE has been recommended to me
AUDIO...not sure which way to go yet
VIDEO...last I read 4200 were a good buy and anything is a step up from what I have now
NIC...not sure
Keyboard...whatever I happen to find I like, no natural style
Money...I would like to spend less than 1000.00

I think that covers everything. I won't be planning any case mods or overclocking just yet. The pc will be gaming and internet and maybe the occasional dvd. Any help is greatly appreciated and again any builders, particularly close to Tampa, interested let me know.
Old 01-26-03, 01:56 AM   #2
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

No doubt that you can do it for under $1000!

Maybe you'd feel safer getting a BAREBONE system and putting in the other parts yourself, CD, operating system, and hard drives are pretty easy to install. http://www.googlegear.com has some good ones, you could even try to customize it, bu I guess that'd cost more. I think they have a P4 2.4 Ghz barebone system for around $500. Still kinda high but has onboard sound sound and LAN. The 4200 can be had for $130 retail and is not that hard to put in, Spend $20 at Bestbuy or whatever on a decent keyboard.

But, keep in mind, you'd save some money if you do it all yourself. All retail parts will come with a manual explaining everything. There are also a lot of good on-line guides. I'll post some later if needed.

EIDT: Also, look into http://www.abspc.com

Last edited by Ranger; 01-26-03 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-26-03, 02:19 AM   #3
Get Me Coffee
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is abspc any good? Would you recommend it over Gateway or Dell? I'm in the market for a new PC and I'm lost in deciding who to go too. I have a Dell now but I know once I buy a new machine from them it will be loaded with a ton of junk software (AOL) which I dont need.
Old 01-26-03, 02:29 AM   #4
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I thought abspc would be a good option because you can pick the parts that YOU want. I have read old PC World articles saying how good they were, but that was a while back. Dells still are great computers if you go all out on $$$. But the first poster doesn't need a whole new system.
Old 01-26-03, 12:11 PM   #5
karnblack
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually go to mwave.com or newegg.com to buy my parts.
Old 01-26-03, 02:01 PM   #6
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

I'm currently seriously considering SCSI. I checked ebay and looks like I can get a 29160 card for $120 or so. In the enterprise SCSI and RAID are on every server, but people I've talked to say SCSI is also the way to go on a PC. And some of the low end PC's at work that have SCSI usually perform as fast as much newer machines.
Old 01-26-03, 02:16 PM   #7
asabase
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Might want to consider the Abit IT7-MAX and IT7-MAX2 motherboards. They have a lot of stuff builtin like network adapter, 5.1 sound, 10 USB 2.0 ports, 2 firewire ports, RAID.

The IT7-MAX doesn't have any legacy ports (serial, parallel, PS/2) so you'll need a USB keyboard like this one:

http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-280928-10391416?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebuy%2Ecom%2Fretail%2Fproduct%2Easp%3Fsku%3D10321270

I think the MAX2 has the PS/2 ports back and it has serial harddrive connectors as well.

I have both the IT7-MAX and that keyboard and like them both. The keyboard feels like a full size laptop keyboard. It is much lighter and easier to move out of the way. It also has two USB ports on it.

You won't need that really fast RAM if you aren't doing any overclocking.