Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-03, 01:15 AM   #1
Gallant Pig
Mod Emeritus

Lowest W powersuppy to run a 1.7 GHZ P4?

I see Enlight sells a 250W powersupply for ATX, would a 235W powersupply run a 1.7GHZ P4?
Old 01-21-03, 05:26 AM   #2
bill_n_opus
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Lowest W powersuppy to run a 1.7 GHZ P4?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I see Enlight sells a 250W powersupply for ATX, would a 235W powersupply run a 1.7GHZ P4?
Maybe ... if it's a good quality PSU with actual performance numbers and not inflated ones. Check the spec sheet and total up the 5 and 3.3v rails wattage and if it's anywhere above 150-180w then you are doing fine ... maybe depending on how many components you are running.

I would just pick up a cheap psu from a good name like Sparkle or Antec/Enermax if you can afford it and be done with it. Keep in mind that pretty much all psu's made today are produced by the big three - Topower, Delta or Channelwell and it's possible to find good OEM's around that provide great bang for the buck.

IMO, it's better to spend 10-20 bucks extra for peace of mind, quality and stability down the road. If you get a cheap psu and it gives up the ghost there is a good chance that it may take other components with it too - which in all probability will cost more than your initial psu upgrade investment.

HTH.

*edit* I just checked www.newegg.com for you and it's described in the heading as a "p4 power supply". The 300w version is only 6 bucks more BTW.

The Enlight site has no specs for your psu for some reason (obsolescence?) but I found probably it's identical twin at the Ehance PSU site here

Notice that the combined 5 and 3.3v rails are rated at 145w max. I'd be willing to bet that your PSU has ident performance.

The upshot is that there is a good chance the Enlight will do a decent job as long as you aren't powering too many components with it.

w-y

Last edited by bill_n_opus; 01-21-03 at 05:59 AM.