Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-20-03, 01:22 PM   #1
mcbmoreno
Cool New Member

Major Problems Setting up New Computer

I am putting together a computer for my parents. Yesterday I loaded win 98 se on an old HD of mine. I reformatted and patitioned the HD and installed the Win 98. Not sure if this is correct way but I partitioned the HD by changing the first boot up device to be cdrom and when I started up, the win 98 cd prompted me to partition the hd with large disk support. So I had the computer running with win 98 and installed all the other software and drivers needed. The video card was a Xpert 2000 Pro 32 mb. I installed that driver but then everytime I went into the display under the control panel and tried changing the screen area and colors or screen saver the computer would freeze. I was also having problems with everytime the computer was to load the screen saver after being in idle for a whild the computer would again freeze. I did a temp solution to this by setting the system stand by and the turn off monitor and turn off HD times to never.

So thats half the problems. So then I installed att worldnet (the account I actually use on my computer at my apartment) so I could connect to the internet and subscribe to an isp for my parents. I connected alright and was online surfing but then the computer froze. Since then I cannot get the computer started without being in safe mode. Everytime I load up into safe mode I restart to get back into normal boot up but after I see the Windows 98 splash screen the screen fades black and nothing happens. So I have to shut off manually and then I reboot and I have to load up with safe mode and then the whole process repeats. I hope all that makes sense to somebody. I have no idea what is going on. I was thinking of just reformatting again and loading everything back onto the HD. Anyone know what else I could do to fix this?
Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-03, 01:48 PM   #2
Shuki
DVD Talk Gold Edition

first thing I would do is to borrow another stick of memory from someone and make sure that is not the problem

then I would focus on the video card... is it new? could it be a bad card? are there any other drivers you can try for it, older or newer either one at this point?

also, physically remove the sound card (if you can) and see if the problem is still there.
Old 01-20-03, 04:59 PM   #3
mcbmoreno
Cool New Member

I gave that a shot and it still wouldn't start. All the gear was from my old computer. I upgraded my own computer and basically gave my parents my old parts. Gave them the mobo (soyo) video card(ati xpert 2000 pro), modem (US Robotics V90), 256 mb ddr, processor Athlon xp 1600. All were new when I bought them which was like a year ago. I used the same video driver I was using when I had the video card running on my own system. The sound is onboard. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help

Last edited by mcbmoreno; 01-20-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 04:05 AM   #4
Shuki
DVD Talk Gold Edition

take the video card out again and blow out the pci or AGP slot and then reseat the card really good. also make sure that the mem is seated well (which it probably is since you've had it out testing other stick and all).

also, check in BIOS to make sure all is set right with settings. Is that an AGP or PCI video card? make sure those settings are right in there.

though if it's not hardware, I'm still leaning heavily toward video card drivers. Are there any other driver sets you can try?? maybe omegadrive has something.... are you familiar with omegadrives drivers? he has done some really great things. check out www.omegacorner.com and see if you video card is supported by his driver sets... also check out www.ati.com for any new(er) drivers....
Old 01-23-03, 03:23 PM   #5
mcbmoreno
Cool New Member

Hey thanks a lot Shuki. I downloaded new drivers for the video card and installed them and it is working again. I got the latest drivers fon the ati site. Great stuff. Thanks a lot.

Hey I got another problem on my computer now. I got a K7t266 mobo with onboard sound. The cd that came with the mobo was all messed up and wouldnt run in any of my drives so I had to dload the drivers. I checked with the company that the drivers I was dloading were correct ones and they said yes. So I would assume I do have the correct drivers. So I got the sound working correctly except when I play a game or a dvd the sound is very choppy. Like it is sort of in fast forward or something. I have contacted the msi tech support and they havent helped me at all and I cant get in touch with anyone in person its all by email so it is taking a long time to fix it. DO you or anyone have any idea about what is ging on with this sound and why its choppy? The choppiness does not happen with MP3s or any other sounds windows makes, only with dvds and games. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mcbmoreno; 01-23-03 at 03:28 PM.