Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-26-02, 02:51 PM   #1
Andy Kim

Internet connection is sending packets even when idle

Hi,
I was browsing around the control panel (WINXP) and went to Network Connetions/Internet Connections.
I have a DSL connection that's always on and is connected with a Linksys Router.
Anyways, the internet connection screen shows the number of packets sent and received. Even when I'm not using the internet (but still connected), its always sending packets (albeit small amounts). Is this proper? Or is some spyware sending my info that I'm not aware of?
Thanks for any replies
Andy
Old 08-26-02, 03:03 PM   #2
the aftermath
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, on my 56k connection it does that as well. As far as I remember it's almost always done that so I think it's normal.
Old 08-26-02, 04:07 PM   #3
sfsdfd
DVD Talk Legend

Windows has gotten somewhat "chattier" over the years. What information is it communicating? Who knows?

I strongly suspect most of it is just "pings" or other ISP-control junk. The rest is probably a mishmash of software checking for updates. (Messenger, Winamp, Real, Norton Antivirus, etc.) I don't think it's sneaky-shady personal-info stuff, because the EFF would have told us already. As long as your idle packets aren't too crazy-large, then you're probably A-OK.

If you're really curious, pick up a packet sniffer and point it at the same system.

- David Stein

Ask not what your country can do for you... because the answer is disappointing.
Old 08-26-02, 05:13 PM   #4
Lampei
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess you could d/l adaware to see if there is any spyware on your PC. It's probably nothing though, but if you haven't got adaware, it's a good product to have anyway
Old 08-27-02, 03:50 PM   #5
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Internet connection is sending packets even when idle

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Kim
Hi,
I was browsing around the control panel (WINXP) and went to Network Connetions/Internet Connections.
I have a DSL connection that's always on and is connected with a Linksys Router.
Anyways, the internet connection screen shows the number of packets sent and received. Even when I'm not using the internet (but still connected), its always sending packets (albeit small amounts). Is this proper? Or is some spyware sending my info that I'm not aware of?
Thanks for any replies
Andy
Do you have any programs that use the internet connection running in the background? Stuff like AIM or MS Messenger? Only way to be sure is to run a network sniffer and record the packets and the port numbers.

You can also run net stat at the command line and it will tell you all the tcp/ip connections and their port numbers.