Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-21-02, 05:21 AM   #1
Feneant
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pc won't turn on, problem could be where?

My saga continues with my stupid backup pc... I replaced the ram and cpu the first time it gave me problems when it stopped working. It worked a few weeks and later stopped again with no post coming up when I booted it. I replaced the motherboard and now another 2 months later, it won't even power on!!

Could it be that from the beginning my problem was with a faulty power supply? I never bothered to replace it, but now that there is no power, I don't see what else the problem could be and I'm starting to get real tired of replacing parts that probably still work on that stupid pc (the store of course always keeps the parts to 'dispose' of them).

Do you know if a faulty power supply could have fried anything else if it failed? The other parts were all on 30 days warranty only and I have no more money to replace anything but the power supply. I haven't used it in a few weeks so don't know at what point it stopped working... I do know we had a thunderstorm a few days ago that caused 4-5 blackouts.
Old 08-21-02, 06:48 AM   #2
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend

do you own a multimeter? i'd check the power output from different points to determine if it's your motherboard or your power supply. that or go buy a power supply and try it

cranky.
Old 08-21-02, 10:54 PM   #3
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

sounds like it could be a bad power supply frying components. however it could also be due to bad power coming into the computer from the wall outlets. I assume you have a nice UPS with AVR to guard against that
Denon 2802
Old 08-22-02, 10:11 AM   #4
Feneant

Hmmm, I've been looking around, did you know that a power supply is pretty expensive!

This is just for an old Celeron 800 so I figured I 'd get a 250w ATX, but I have problems finding one. My choices are basically to get a case+oem power supply or a power supply individually which are normally more expensive ones such as Enermax. (On the 250 watts question, is that enough? The pc has a scsi cdrom, scsi cdr, 2 hard drives, a NIC card and a Voodoo 5500 AGP)

Any ideas where to get a cheap one that won't fry everything in sight? I could even just stick in something that's used as long as it works.

gcribbs, I have no UPS on that pc. I don't even know if the powerbar has a surge protector since it has no red light on it to say it has a power strip or whatever. But everything else works that's plugged on the bar, the printer, second pc (P120) and the monitor that they share.
Old 08-22-02, 11:29 AM   #5
Mole177

do you have any computer shows up there? power supplies are fairly cheap.
Old 08-22-02, 01:23 PM   #6
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend

i would highly recommend a quality power supply. and the cool thing is that if you upgrade, you'll have a compliant power supply.

i suggest antec true power or enermax. paid $60 or so for a 350 watter....which is overkill for you now, but you may need it in the future. check newegg.com

cranky.
Old 08-22-02, 08:39 PM   #7
Steelers Fan

My PC wouldn't power up before and all said and done it was my chip.
Old 08-22-02, 10:50 PM   #8
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

I see that BestBuy has an retail antec 350 watts psu for $59 w/ free shipping, this is what I will get later and suggest you get too.