Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-27-02, 11:48 PM   #1
bill_n_opus
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone use "remote software" like PcAnywhere etc?

Can anyone share their experiences with this type of software - PcAnywhere, GoToMyPC et al.

What are the practical uses for it? Remote monitoring? Remote tech support? Remote file sharing, data/info retrieval?

Or is it purely just the need to be symbiotically attached to your comp?

I've been thinking of trying it out for the heck of it. Before I do I just wanted to canvass for opinions.

Thanks for any replies.

w-y
Old 07-28-02, 12:44 AM   #2
Neitzl
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use VNC, free and flexible. Not as many options as Timbuktu/PCAnywhere, but it's great for just remote control. I know it can be used over the internet to get to another machine, but if your other machine is behind a firewall, you need to open some ports. It's especially nice with a VPN connection, cuz VNCs security isn't the best thing out there.

Neitzl

Comics
Old 07-28-02, 10:35 PM   #3
twikoff
DVD Talk God

we have alot of licenses for pc anywhere.. but we prefer to use vnc
nice free easy option.. and its i like being able to remote control through my browser, without ever loading up the client

personally.. I think the refresh is better through the browser, than through the client anyways.
Old 07-29-02, 02:54 PM   #4
Dirk

I've used Timbuktu, PC Anywhere, the built-in 'remote desktop' support in XP (which is basically just a stripped down version of Terminal Services), and some other app who's name I can't remember at the moment.

Why? Let's see:
1) Remote server administration - a great reason to use one of these packages. Why walk/drive/fly to wherever your server is located, when you can do 99% of the work from your desk?

2) Remote troubleshooting - In the office, for friends, clients, whatever. If you've ever done troubleshooting over the phone, I'm sure you've experienced this - 'Describe what it's doing now' - 'well, the screen looks kinda funny, and there's this thingy over there - oh, and there was some kinda error message, but I just clicked 'ok', and it went away'... .

3) Being able to get to your own machine remotely - need to check your e-mail, and don't have webmail? Want to toss a particular file into your FTP root directory, so you can then FTP into your machine & grab it? Just remembered you really needed to send that file to your friend? Etc, etc.

Basically, all the reasons you mentioned, and probably more.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-02, 04:49 PM   #5
dgmayor
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live by Microsoft Terminal Services (Remote Desktop) for 2k and XP. When I'm at work I constantly have my home PC up, and I have 2 pc's here that I keep a TS window open to the other from my main.
Old 07-29-02, 10:41 PM   #6
bill_n_opus
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk
I've used Timbuktu, PC Anywhere, the built-in 'remote desktop' support in XP (which is basically just a stripped down version of Terminal Services), and some other app who's name I can't remember at the moment.

Why? Let's see:

2) Remote troubleshooting - In the office, for friends, clients, whatever. If you've ever done troubleshooting over the phone, I'm sure you've experienced this - 'Describe what it's doing now' - 'well, the screen looks kinda funny, and there's this thingy over there - oh, and there was some kinda error message, but I just clicked 'ok', and it went away'... .

3) Being able to get to your own machine remotely - need to check your e-mail, and don't have webmail? Want to toss a particular file into your FTP root directory, so you can then FTP into your machine & grab it? Just remembered you really needed to send that file to your friend? Etc, etc.

Basically, all the reasons you mentioned, and probably more.

Hope that helps.
Helps great.

Before I dive into this stuff head on I have one little thing to ask about.

- if you have this remote software installed on your comp do you HAVE to have the same software installed on the other end as well? So if i'm at a friend's place and we're goofing off on his comp and I say "Hey, I have this cool file on my comp" - can I just connect to my comp (assuming it's on) over the net and download/transfer the file ? Or do I have to install it first on his comp before going forward?

I suppose I can read the README but I might as well pad my post total.

thanks.

w-y
Old 07-30-02, 03:28 PM   #7
kneijst1
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitly Terminal Server on Win2K. Once you use that, you never go back to PC Anywhere, IMHO.
Old 03-16-06, 04:36 PM   #8
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can someone tell me which ports need to be opened for vnc? I wanted to get the server to work with my linksys router.
Old 03-16-06, 05:00 PM   #9
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Can someone tell me which ports need to be opened for vnc? I wanted to get the server to work with my linksys router.
5800 + 5900 by default, HOWEVER, I would highly suggest you change the default ports to avoid script kiddies.

I use Timbuktu Pro for server management just because I feel it is the MOST secure remote control app. Terminal Services can not perform every remote function one would need to do where Timbuktu will.

On machines I don't care too much about, I use UltraVNC or some other flavor of VNC depending.

I dislike PC anywhere, too clunky and too hackable.

Radmin is decent http://www.famatech.com/

If all you want to do is grab files, use a secure FTP server/client setup instead of a remote control app.
Old 03-16-06, 06:00 PM   #10
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

the IT department uses Raritan KVM switches. People that need console access to servers use a mix of VNC or PCA.

The good thing about IP KVM switches is that I can see a machine reboot remotely and go into the BIOS etc without actually being in front of it.
Old 03-16-06, 08:06 PM   #11
Brain Stew
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Opening the port worked. Thanks!
Old 03-17-06, 07:20 AM   #12
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I use vnc to monitor the computer in the other room sometimes

I use novell's remote control quite often at work (bank helpdesk)
Old 03-17-06, 08:24 AM   #13
crankyman
DVD Talk Legend

for home use, i use ultravnc. works a charm and can do quick file transfers which is nice.

at work, we use a variety of products that all cost money. i'm happy with the way vnc works at the house.
Old 03-17-06, 08:27 AM   #14
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I use RDP/Terminal services to work from home and to manage some of our WIN servers at work. I use AdRem Free Remote Console for connecting to my Netware boxes, and ZEN Remote Control to get to user PCs. VNC is nice enough, but I'm happy with what I'm using now. Radmin is nice too, but we have some kiddies on campus who play around with it trying to get into trouble, so I added it to the Rogue Apps list.

[jealous of al_bundy's IT Dept. I've been asking for out-of-band KVM for years and years, but they keep cutting it out of the budget.]

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 03-17-06, 08:49 AM   #15
Nazgul
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our company bought a site license for "Remotely Anywhere" and it works like a charm. It installs on severs or workstations and it's quite responsive (i.e. no latency). It has a ton of functionality and since it runs off of IE (or Firefox), I use Citrix to run my workstations.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 03-17-06, 09:00 AM   #16
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use realVNC daily to keep my queue full on my PC at home and as a way of doing things which might be deemed questionable at work. It has 128 bit encryption on traffic, so it isn't subject to any packet sniffing by work filters.

It's annoying that it doesn't have a built in file transfer, however the no-install exe client is great.
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 03-17-06, 09:04 AM   #17
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

So the question begs, does anyone remote control a mac from their PC? That is what I am looking to do. Remote control my home Mac with my work XP machine.

I have a program(forget name) that I can control my XP laptop from the Mac, but not the other way around. Works pretty good, I just leave the laptop on, closed under the desk.

Any ideas?

Now Playing:
Shadows of Mordor On Deck: Need for Speed: Rivals
Old 03-17-06, 09:12 AM   #18
matome
DVD Talk Legend

I use UltraVNC. Works great for remote access and file transfers and is also a godsend for my HTPC, which I can control/update without booting up the DLP set and pulling out the wireless keyboard/mouse. Windows Remote Desktop on XP Pro also works well, though it locks out the remote computer.

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 03-17-06, 09:42 AM   #19
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So the question begs, does anyone remote control a mac from their PC? That is what I am looking to do. Remote control my home Mac with my work XP machine.

I have a program(forget name) that I can control my XP laptop from the Mac, but not the other way around. Works pretty good, I just leave the laptop on, closed under the desk.

Any ideas?
Yes, you just need a VNC Server on the Mac. (We used to use Share My Desktop.) Also, it seems that MacOS X has a VNC server built in if you enable Apple Remote Desktop and check off the VNC box. After some sort of server is running on the Mac, then you can connect with the windows machine using UltraVNC or whatever else.
Old 03-17-06, 11:47 AM   #20
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks matome & CRM, I'll have to give that a shot.

Now Playing:
Shadows of Mordor On Deck: Need for Speed: Rivals
Old 03-17-06, 04:27 PM   #21
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

WebEx & NetMeeting
Old 03-17-06, 04:45 PM   #22
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

RDP. If someone applications don't like it, then Netmeeting is my backup.
Old 03-17-06, 04:57 PM   #23
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Any ideas?
Never used a Mac, but I imagine you can SSH into it and run everything via commmand line.
Old 03-20-06, 06:36 PM   #24
kms_md
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes, you just need a VNC Server on the Mac. (We used to use Share My Desktop.) Also, it seems that MacOS X has a VNC server built in if you enable Apple Remote Desktop and check off the VNC box. After some sort of server is running on the Mac, then you can connect with the windows machine using UltraVNC or whatever else.
to SMD. i works well and it easy to set up. osxvnc works as well. on the xp side i use ultravnc or thinvnc.