Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-29-02, 09:28 PM   #1
Sonicflood
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Need help selecting components to build my own PC

I want to build my own PC and need to find some reliable & discount sources for the components.

A friend just gave me a cool Lian Li Aluminium case. Here it is:

The PC68USB is all aluminum, including the bezel, with 10 drive bays. This includes:

4 external 5.25 bays
3 external 3.5 bays
3 internal 3.5 bays

Aluminum panel and original brushed aluminum color.

4 Front USB Ports

I want to build something along the lines of:

AMD Athlon XP 1900-2100 MHz
Motherboard (suggestion?)
512+ MB RAM (suggestion?)
Video Card w/TV out (suggestion?)
DVD Drive
CDRW Drive
Sound Card w/digital out (suggestion?)
80-100 Gig HD (suggestion?)

I want to build a decent system that I can use for:

Internet
Light graphic work
Mp3 storage & playing
DVD watching (HTPC)

I don't do any computer gaming, so it does not have to be a huge powerhouse.

Any suggestions for the above and sources?

Thanks for any assistance!
Old 06-29-02, 09:37 PM   #2
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You'll have to give me the case to get my opinions.

AMD Athlon XP 1900-2100 MHz
>> I'm currently running a 1900 easily overclocked to 2000 - so whatever you go with, you can easily overclock it 100 higher - just remember that when deciding if the extra money is worth the speed gain.

Motherboard (suggestion?)
>> Absolutely love my Soyo KT-333. It utilizes the ViaKT333 Chipset which works with DDR333 SDRAM amongst other nice products. Another nice feature is the 4 USB 2.0 ports. I highly recommend it.

Edit: P.S. - For serious Internet, the motherboard has a built in broadband port (10/100).

512+ MB RAM (suggestion?)
>> With the KT333 mentioned above, I'm using Samsung PC2700 SDRAM (333 MHz) and have no problems whatsoever. When going with DDR, that's Double Data Rate and I can't tell the difference between my 512 MB DDR and the 1 GIG RAM I was using before.

>> ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500 - Sweet card. When I get the cash, this is what I'm upgrading to. Of course there are those out there that don't like the ATI drivers, but I have had no problems with them and I would put this card in my dream machine.

Edit: Just saw you're not going to be doing a bunch of gaming. If so, I'd recommend the ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DV. Slightly less powerful than the 8500, but more geared towards people doing digital video. Linky. Here's one of the sweet options for using the computer for DVD playback:

» Control the TV, video, DVD and gaming features of the ALL-IN-WONDER® RADEON™ 8500DV from another room in the house using ATI's remote control*
» No need to point the remote control at the receiver - connect your PC to your TV and watch DVDs, search channels, or record TV shows from your couch

DVD Drive
>> Whatever floats your boat - just make sure it's namebrand.

CDRW Drive
>> Anything Lite-On. Great products.

>> Dunno here - but the audio output of the Soyo KT333 motherboard is pretty sweet:

» On board CMI 8738 audio chip providing 6-channel audio solution
» Supports optical output
» SPDIF output

80-100 Gig HD
>> I'm a Maxtor guy and their large hard drives have worked great for me. I'm running a 30 Gig as my primary drive with a 120 Gig secondary. Works like a charm.

Have fun building your computer. I wish I had enough cash to build another one. Guess my AMD 1900XP will have to do for now

Last edited by Blake; 06-29-02 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 09:54 PM   #3
asabase
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to like my LiteOn CDRW...till it randomly died on me. Their tech support/warranty dept sucks too. I gave up and bought a new one.

I got a 24x Plextor replacement at buy.com for around 130 not including a $20 rebate they have right now.
Old 06-29-02, 10:09 PM   #4
Sonicflood
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blake:

Thanks for the suggestions!

What's a reliable on-line vendor with the best price for:

Soyo KT-333?

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon DV?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-02, 10:11 PM   #5
twikoff
DVD Talk God

not to hijack.. but Ive got a question..

when you say xp 1900-2100.. you mean series, not mhz.. right?

and blake.. when you say 1900@2000.. how can you overclock a system, without referring to it in mhz?

since amd uses the deceptive trait of using series numbers that are much higher then the actual mhz..

this isnt intended to start an amd vs intel battle, or a thread crap.. Im just curious how people manage to keep their wording and understanding straight on this
Old 06-30-02, 02:25 AM   #6
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff

and blake.. when you say 1900@2000.. how can you overclock a system, without referring to it in mhz?

since amd uses the deceptive trait of using series numbers that are much higher then the actual mhz..

this isnt intended to start an amd vs intel battle, or a thread crap.. Im just curious how people manage to keep their wording and understanding straight on this
If you are comparing an AMD XP processor and you are thinking of buying either a XP 1800 or an XP 1900 as marked by AMD why bother mentioning the Mhz when you are talking to another person about these same processors??

other than individuals not liking the naming method as used by AMD what reason would you have to do this??

so if I was asking about buying an XP 1800 or an XP 1900 you would answer me how?

I would get the 1.53 Ghz not the 1.6 Ghz because they can be overclocked easily by on average 70 Mhz- I think this would actually be more confusing than less confusing when the first person asked about the XP 1800 or XP1900 using the AMD naming convention. Unless you intend to also explain the answer more fully why bother to do it this way.

Back on topic

I would check out newegg for parts- I am sure there are other places to buy from and feel free to use pricewatch.com and then use http://www.resellerratings.com/ to make sure the dealer is good. no ratings I would just pass.

As far as a video card that ati card sounds fine however I might go with the Radeon 8500LE since they are around $99 shipped right now from newegg.

I like maxtor hard drives myself.

I prefer ASUS motherboards myself. if you do not need the top end a KT266a right now newegg is running an oem special with free shipping on ASUS A7V266-E and A7V333 you need to buy at least one other item in order to qualify

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...ry=1315&DEPA=1

cdrw's- Plextor, liteon, I like my Yamaha cdrw.

Ram- Crucial

sound card SB Live although if you can live with onboard audio you might want to try that at first then add the sound card later if you do not like it.
Denon 2802

Last edited by gcribbs; 06-30-02 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-30-02, 07:03 AM   #7
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by twikoff

a) I can say 1900@2000 because while I did overclock the MHz, when I boot up or go to my Control Panel, it tells me the MHz are the equivalent of an AMD XP2000.

b) I don't know how it's deceptive that AMD doesn't use MHz. What's deceptive is that Intel relies on using higher and higher MHz numbers and people think it's better. AMD's XP2000 runs at what? 1.6 GHz, but performs at the same level, if not better, than an Intel 2.0 GHz. What's deceptive is that if AMD put out an XP1.6 GHz, Intel would be all over them saying the 2.0GHz is faster and better, when in fact, it's not.

c) You are right that I should probably use MHz when talking about overclocking, basically, I overclocked from 1.6 GHz to 1.67 GHz, taking up the XP from a "1900" to a "2000" equivalent:

Back on track...
Quote:
What's a reliable on-line vendor with the best price for:

Soyo KT-333?
A2Zcomp.com has it for $150 (link), but I don't know much about them. When I got mine, I got a nice CPU/Mobo/Fan/RAM combo here:

AIC Micro www.aicmicro.com
Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra, AMD Athlon XP Socket A 1900+
Samsung 512MB PC2700 333MHz DDR SDRAM, Assemble & Test
Thermaltake Volcano 7 Variable Heatsink & Cooling Fan Speed Control
Total: $470 + shipping ($11.55) and tax (36.42) = $517.97

(the above price is a few months old, and most likely cheaper now)...

Edit: Just saw the Frys ad for today and they're bundling an AMD XP1800+ with the Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum for $299. Not too bad. And just checking pricewatch.com, they show the AMD 1800+ with a Volcano6 fan and the Soyo KT333 for $240.

Last edited by Blake; 06-30-02 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-30-02, 01:24 PM   #8
Kevlar

Actually the AMD 'comparative' speeds are very misleading. The new northwood pentiums far outclass them. It was a marketing strategy that was ok for its time but that time has passed. AMD has nothing that can compete with the current line of pentium 4 products.

For the small price difference I would go P4. And I did =).

P4 2.0G
MSI 845G mobo
512K PC2700 DDR333

Now I just need to upgrade my old Geforce 2 card...

Have not had any problems with any of the latest
releases at max detail 1024x768 resolution, but
I know its only a matter of time till I notice a
performance hit.
Old 06-30-02, 01:48 PM   #9
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar
Actually the AMD 'comparative' speeds are very misleading. The new northwood pentiums far outclass them. It was a marketing strategy that was ok for its time but that time has passed. AMD has nothing that can compete with the current line of pentium 4 products.

For the small price difference I would go P4. And I did =).

P4 2.0G
MSI 845G mobo
512K PC2700 DDR333

Now I just need to upgrade my old Geforce 2 card...

Have not had any problems with any of the latest
releases at max detail 1024x768 resolution, but
I know its only a matter of time till I notice a
performance hit.
the problem is that unless you are overclocking an XP2000 will generally outperform the P4 2 Ghz cpu from Intel and you paid more.

Now it is true that many are able to overclock the P4 to very high numbers so those cpu's will out perform the XP from AMD since they no longer overclock much more than 10% without a huge investment in cooling.

I think AMD was faced with a no win situation- they had processors that out performed the Intel Cpu's that ran at slower clock speeds and did not have the budget to out spend Intel to get the message out. so they took the easy solution and pissed some people off.
Denon 2802
Old 06-30-02, 03:15 PM   #10
agent2099

Quote:
Radeon 8500 $98 www.newegg.com

Quote:
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz $60 www.newegg.com

Quote:
80-100 Gig HD (suggestion?)
Get 2 40 Gig hard drives for better performance, Maxtor & Western Digital are good