Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-02, 08:02 PM   #1
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
video capture cards?

is the ATI tv wonder a good card?
http://www.ati.com/products/pc/tvwonder/specs.html

I'd like a tv tuner/video capture card for a few reasons
1)make my computer into a tivo
2)make a digital version of the original, non-special edition starwars trilogy since lucas keeps changing stuff and I only have them on vhs
Old 06-18-02, 08:15 PM   #2
hypeiv
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use the ATI all in wonder for my PVR needs on my HTPC... i think the tuner on the TV wonder is different and I am not sure how the quality is...

But I highly recommend the ATI all-in-wonder Radeons for doing what you want... The ATI all in wonder can rip your vhs to vcd or dvd file formats (mpeg1 and mpeg2) in real time without any problems.
Old 06-18-02, 10:28 PM   #3
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
thanks, I might get an all in wonder, and maybe a second monitor and try out the dual monitor feature of windows, assuming 98se has that

also, I forgot to mention, other brands can be recommended too, I just picked ATI since I've heard about them the most
Old 06-20-02, 04:25 PM   #4
DB

Just a word of warning. I have the Radeon all in wonder. The capture has its share of driver problems.

It does work great driving my LCD monitor and for watching TV though.

I ended up buying a relatively expensive gizmo ($300) that captures video and audio and turns it into DV video outside the computer in real time, which is then captured on your computer through a firewire port. Works fabulous for capturing videos for editing and DVD burning.

Canopus ADVC100 -- www.justedit.com

- David
Old 06-20-02, 04:44 PM   #5
asabase
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a I/O Magic TV tuner card from CrapUSA a while back. It was only $20 or so after a small rebate. Way cheaper than an all-in-wonder at least.

The box says it doesn't do video capture from the composite or s-video inputs but it does!

However, the audio output is mono. As far as I can tell this is only because they were cheap and used a mono line out connector. Replacing the connector should fix it (its a $1 part at radio shack). There is a place to solder in an inside connector as well. That connector has places for left and right channels too. It's worth a try if you have a soldering iron anyway.
Old 06-20-02, 11:05 PM   #6
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by DB
Just a word of warning. I have the Radeon all in wonder. The capture has its share of driver problems...
I hear you, I've had nothing but trouble with my ATI drivers. Can't even watch TV on my ATI Radeon All in Wonder 7500.

They did just release some new drivers (on June 13) which are supposed to make everything better and fix all of the bugs, just like the last three or so drivers were supposed to do. I'm downloading it now, I'll see. I hope it works better than the last update, which caused my computer to reboot every 15 or so seconds.