Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-15-02, 11:30 AM   #1
milpool

Ink-Jet Printers with cheapest ink costs?

Which ink-jet printers out on the market tend to have the cheapest per page ink costs?
Old 04-15-02, 12:33 PM   #2
danw
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh that's easy: it's the one that's least-used!

Seriously, I don't know the answer. I can tell you that Lexmark is exceptionally expensive in the ink area, though.
Old 04-15-02, 02:18 PM   #3
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

You may want to check out the newer Canon inkjet printers as they have separated their color inks into individual $10 cartridges. So you only replace a cartridge when you're out of a particular ink.

Personally I have an Epson inkjet and their cartridges don't seem to be abnormally expensive.

-BT
Old 04-15-02, 09:50 PM   #4
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

well, if you use generic ink tanks, then it's really cheap. it's $1.35/2.87 for my black/color, respectively. Of course, these do void the warantee, but i've been using generic tanks for years, and so have many of my friends, and i've had no problems. oh, and i have an epson 860. no problems yet, good quality. got it for $120 2.5 years ago, so i'm sure it's dirt cheap now.
Old 04-16-02, 09:56 AM   #5
Mikemac
Cool New Member

I have the Canon s600, and it has the individual ink tanks (Smart Tank, Think Tank ?). I am unsure just how much money it saves me because, in my experience, the tanks run out within minutes of each other anyway. I tend to print out only pictures of the kids, so I believe that they use each ink at a similar rate. If you print out certain graphic designs that are predominently one or two colors, I can definately see how this could save you a lot of money. Even if it does not save a lot, I would have a real problem with throwing out a three-color ink cartridge that had 25% blue left in it.

As an aside, the s600 is a great printer that you could probably get for less than $100 (it has been replaced by the s630). On the right paper, you cannot even tell that it isn't a real photo.
Old 04-16-02, 11:32 AM   #6
MichaelBlanton

We maintain dozens of various HP (890, 940, etc) and Lexmark inkjet printers.

Believe it or not, Lexmark is cheaper on cartridges IF you buy their high capacity versions. They last forever (have about 3x life) and cost maybe $10 more. In cost/page comparisons, I never see these size carts used--just the normal ones. Not everyone carries them, but I buy mine from Dell when they have 10 or 20% off printers and supplies.

I have mixed feelings on the Canons with multiple cartridges and printheads. A lady here just trashed a Canon multifunction because of high consumable costs and got a Lexmark. Again, Lexmark's reputation for having the highest cartridge costs should have a big asterisk by it.