Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-31-02, 11:36 AM   #1
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

How can I get my old mail file back into Outlook Express?

I copied my 42 meg mail file to CDR and then found out that there's extra steps to backup mail that I didn't take. Now I can't import it back in, and just copying to the now-empty Inbox does not work. How can I get my old mail file back into OE?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-02, 04:52 PM   #2
Eeyore
DVD Talk Special Edition

i did this not too long ago and had the same problem.

this may be version dependent (of both windows and outlook express) but where were you trying to place the files?

for instance, mine were located in C:\windows\Application data\identities and follow the directories to outlook express.

if you were trying to just copy the files into that directory and it didn't show up, you may need one file from the old installation (i think it summarizes all the folders? i don't remember).

somehow i got it to work in outlook express without this file, but i really don't remember how. i hope that this is at least a bit coherent and helps nudge you in the right direction. maybe there is help online if you search google etc?
Old 04-01-02, 12:48 AM   #3
DivxGuy
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope you backed up the whole Mail directory before you reinstalled!

RD
Old 04-01-02, 01:06 AM   #4
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

This is what I did:

Copied the ONE mail file. All I have is the Inbox file. I didn't back up anything else.

I can't import it (not recognized) and if I just copy it over the current (empty) Inbox file, it doesn't recognize either.

ALL I copied was the one Inbox file.
Old 04-01-02, 08:50 AM   #5
Ben732
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Along with your inbox.dbx file, there was probably a folders.dbx file. You need that folders.dbx file to be able to import your inbox into another copy of Outlook Express. Without it, Outlook Express won't know what the inbox.dbx is for. When you choose to import, Outlook Express isn't looking for the inbox.dbx file, it's looking for the folders.dbx file to tell it what folders you have.

Sorry, but if you didn't back up the folders file, you're probably out of luck.
Old 04-01-02, 10:40 AM   #6
GatorDeb
DVD Talk Legend

THANK YOU!!!!!

Googled "Missing Folders.dbx" and found http://chattanooga.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm .

Extracting my e-mail messages as we speak

Mail files extracted, invoice printed

I had over 4,000 files (individual messages you can double click to bring up without having to start Outlook), and succesfully copied them all to CD (it took it about 20 mins to create a file structure (before it even started copying the files)), but it didn't choke at all... so for number of files TDK 8X4X32 and Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 seem to handle extreme situations well.

I kind of like the individual mail files. I think I'm going to do this with my mail files once a month (That was about a year of files though... I don't get 4,000 e-mails a month, and I deleted about 10 e-mails for every one I kept).

Which brings to believe there IS a fix for just about any computer screwup possible... heck even deleted hard drives can be recovered

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-01-02 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-01-02, 02:08 PM   #7
Eeyore
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome, glad you got it fixed. it is so counter-intuitive that if you copy the "inbox" file, you can't just drop it into another installation... you're definitely not the only person who's done it, only to find out it didn't work :>