Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-27-02, 02:22 PM   #1
scottdcannon

Help building a new computer?

I am building a computer in the next week and I was just wondering if there is anything else I need or if anybody knows of any hardware conflicts that I could have.

1. Win XP pro operating system
2. ASUS A7V266 E Motherboard
3. AMD 1600+ XP processor and fan and heatsink
4. Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440 64 MB
5. Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM
6. 256 MB DDR 2100
7. 60 gig IBM hard drive
8. Sound Blaster Live Value Edition
9. PCI Slot fan
10. 320 W ATX case ,4- 5 1/2,3-3 1/2 drive bays

Stuff from old computer
1. Monitor
2. TDK 8/4/32 CD-RW
3. 56 K win modem

Will I need anything else to play dvds? Or is there anthing else that this setup would require?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old 03-27-02, 02:56 PM   #2
TeeSeeJay
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should be A-OK. I'd suggest taking back that Geforce4 MX card and getting a Geforce3 Ti card instead. They're not that hot.
Old 03-27-02, 05:41 PM   #3
Ergyu
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, I would either make the jump to the GF4 Ti 4600 128mb or go with a GF3 Ti500. RIght now though, both are so insanely powerful that you won't see games taking full advantage of either of them for about a year, possibly more. The GF4 MX cards are actually just about as powerful as the most powerful GF2 cards.

Sounds like a good system, if you can afford it, I would suggest doubling the ram because Win XP eats up about 128 of it alone.

Nice choice with the Pioneer too, is it the slot loading one? Those are really slick.
Old 03-27-02, 08:55 PM   #4
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

I assume the power supply is rated for an athlon 1600+.

I agree dump the MX and go with either a geforce3 Ti500 or a GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, ( 4ns 64MB DDR. ). TV-Out. Retail Box. for 145.00 including shipping from newegg. this card overclocks to Ti500 speeds due to the great ram.
Denon 2802
Old 03-27-02, 10:27 PM   #5
Xanager
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by gcribbs
I agree dump the MX and go with either a geforce3 Ti500 or a GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB (NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200 GPU), Power Pack Golden Sample, ( 4ns 64MB DDR. ). TV-Out. Retail Box. for 145.00 including shipping from newegg. this card overclocks to Ti500 speeds due to the great ram.
great idea. Like they said, no games right now even need GF4 speeds. I have a Gainward GF3 Ti200 OC'ed to Ti500 speeds, and it works great. You can use the money you saved to double ram (1st priority) or get an Audigy.

Do you need a floppy or NIC?
Old 03-27-02, 10:45 PM   #6
Kevlar

Get an ESD wrist strap. Might cost 5 bucks and clip it onto a ground or plug it into your ground plug in the wall. It may save you a few hundred dollars in fried components.

Building a computer is not difficult but take things slow, dont rush and have all the tools you think you will need before you get started. A good manual will help alot too, Its worth the 20-50 bucks.

A small tube of electronic thermal compound too, just in case your fan/processor doesnt come with it. Costs a couple dollars and can save you lots of overheating problems in the future.

-K
Old 03-27-02, 10:52 PM   #7
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar
Get an ESD wrist strap. Might cost 5 bucks and clip it onto a ground or plug it into your ground plug in the wall. It may save you a few hundred dollars in fried components.

Building a computer is not difficult but take things slow, dont rush and have all the tools you think you will need before you get started. A good manual will help alot too, Its worth the 20-50 bucks.

A small tube of electronic thermal compound too, just in case your fan/processor doesnt come with it. Costs a couple dollars and can save you lots of overheating problems in the future.

-K
have you fried a component due to ESD before. I am slow and careful making sure to touch the PS and have not done it yet. I always hated wearing those straps

thermal compund is a good idea just in case you screwup the HS installation and need to put some on-
Thank goodness I have never done that

sad to say the only two tools I ever have ready are a phillips screw driver and one slotted screwdriver for the HS/Fan installation. although i do have some single edge blades for spreading thermal compound.
Denon 2802
Old 03-28-02, 01:17 AM   #8
TeeSeeJay
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Xanager

great idea. Like they said, no games right now even need GF4 speeds. I have a Gainward GF3 Ti200 OC'ed to Ti500 speeds, and it works great. You can use the money you saved to double ram (1st priority) or get an Audigy.

Do you need a floppy or NIC?
Well, you should never build a computer based on what today's requirements are -- with the rapid development of gaming software staying on the leading edge of DirectX enhancements, a next-generation card should always be in one's stable. Thing is, the Geforce4 MX cards aren't next-gen, which is why a GF3 or 4 Ti card is the suggested option -- which one is primarily a question of cost, because you never hear people complaining about having performance to spare. News is Nvidia is selling through their GF3 stock as fast as they can so that the GF4s are the only things on the shelf. Whatever you end up with, make sure it says Ti instead of MX. 'nuff said.

While I'm personally skipping the Audigy generation of sound cards, it can be had for as little as $70 if you forsake the bundled software and go for a whitebox/OEM package. The Live! is a standup card, and I don't think the Audigy brings much improvement to the table. But: I paid almost $200 for my Live! platinum when they were new, so I'm looking at it differently than someone eyeing the cards at today's prices.
Old 03-28-02, 07:45 AM   #9
Xanager
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeSeeJay

Well, you should never build a computer based on what today's requirements are -- with the rapid development of gaming software staying on the leading edge of DirectX enhancements, a next-generation card should always be in one's stable. Thing is, the Geforce4 MX cards aren't next-gen, which is why a GF3 or 4 Ti card is the suggested option -- which one is primarily a question of cost, because you never hear people complaining about having performance to spare. News is Nvidia is selling through their GF3 stock as fast as they can so that the GF4s are the only things on the shelf. Whatever you end up with, make sure it says Ti instead of MX. 'nuff said.

While I'm personally skipping the Audigy generation of sound cards, it can be had for as little as $70 if you forsake the bundled software and go for a whitebox/OEM package. The Live! is a standup card, and I don't think the Audigy brings much improvement to the table. But: I paid almost $200 for my Live! platinum when they were new, so I'm looking at it differently than someone eyeing the cards at today's prices.
As far as the video card issue goes, I was looking at it from more of a cost issue. If what scottdcannon has listed is the top of his budget, then I would save a little on the video card and help the ram out. Of course, if you have the money, go with the Geforce 4, no doubt. I think I read something about a GF4 coming out with dual-monitor support and a built in TV tuner (personal cinema or something like that). Now that would rock. An Nvidia solution that competes with the Ati All-in-wonder.

If I had paid $200 for a Live platinum, I wouldn't be upgrading either, but we're talking about a brand new computer. I think Audigy is a definitely improvement, especially in the area of sound quality. I wouldn't go out and get the top of the line Audigy though, just get a cheap OEM like TeeSeeJay says, they're going to all sound the same.
Old 03-28-02, 12:59 PM   #10
scottdcannon

Thank you everybody. I guess I am really close to the top of my budget for this computer. I have got about $60 left over.
I can get the Geforce 4 440 MX for 109.00 or is it worth the $40 extra to go to the Geforce 3ti 200 or would my extra be better spent on increasing the system ram. Or would I be better served to go to a geforce 2 card for $60. Thanks for your help on the audigy but I am not sure that I am ready to put a lot of money into the sound card. I have a feeling I will get some conflicting opinions but all info would be greatly appreciated.

I think I will get electronic thermal compound and the wrist strap just in case because the last thing I need is to kill components and with my luck it would be the motherboard.

Thanks again,
scott
Old 03-28-02, 01:04 PM   #11
scottdcannon

I am not sure if it is the slot loading one I have only looked at it online. The model number is DVD-116. Also if there is anyone who knows if I can change the region code on this without upgrading the firmware that would also be appreciated. I don't have any other region discs yet but if I could get some that would be nice to be able to do just in case.
Old 03-28-02, 01:08 PM   #12
Seeker
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I'd say the Geforce 3 t200 is probably the best "low cost" bet.
Old 03-28-02, 01:31 PM   #13
twikoff
DVD Talk God

geforce 4mx have tested lower then the geforce3 ti
i normally recommend against the mx
Old 03-28-02, 08:05 PM   #14
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by scottdcannon
Thank you everybody. I guess I am really close to the top of my budget for this computer. I have got about $60 left over.
I can get the Geforce 4 440 MX for 109.00 or is it worth the $40 extra to go to the Geforce 3ti 200 or would my extra be better spent on increasing the system ram. Or would I be better served to go to a geforce 2 card for $60. Thanks for your help on the audigy but I am not sure that I am ready to put a lot of money into the sound card. I have a feeling I will get some conflicting opinions but all info would be greatly appreciated.

I think I will get electronic thermal compound and the wrist strap just in case because the last thing I need is to kill components and with my luck it would be the motherboard.

Thanks again,
scott
well this might be a good compromise. again overclockable if you decide to do it and a top line geforce 2 card. GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GEFORCE2 Ti450, 64MB (NO TV-OUT) DDR 4.5ns - RETAIL
www.newegg.com for $91 shipped.

if you really want to save some money then go for a VISIONTEK Xtasy 5632 GEFORCE2 GTS-V 4X/2X 32MB DDR AGP - OEM for 53 shipped and upgrade later to a better geforce 4 card. these cards are often overclockable and a very decent card for half the horrible MX card.
Denon 2802
Old 03-28-02, 11:16 PM   #15
money

Quote:
Originally posted by scottdcannon
I am not sure if it is the slot loading one I have only looked at it online. The model number is DVD-116. Also if there is anyone who knows if I can change the region code on this without upgrading the firmware that would also be appreciated. I don't have any other region discs yet but if I could get some that would be nice to be able to do just in case.
Pioneer 116 is tray loading. I just bought a slot loading Pioneer 106S for $56 + $12 shipping = Total $68 from essential computer. It is came with Region 1 presetting and said I can change region setting 4 more times on this particular DVD-ROM.

Pioneer 16x DVD 106S INT IDE Slot Loading Light Gray color - oem

Click on this link to see the DVD-116 and other brand.