Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-27-02, 01:02 PM   #1
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

CDRW questions

I am currently buying components for a new system.

I want to be able to copy CDs and to mix some CDs, including copying portions of songs (cutting out the first 30 seconds or whatever, primarily for live songs).

From reading another thread, I understand that Plextor is the way to go brandwise.

From looking at the Plextor web site, I see that they have a $30 mail in rebate on the 12/10/32A CDRW drive. http://www.plextor.com/english/speci...12Xholiday.pdf

From pricewatch, I found a site that carries the Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32 for $125 + $8 shipping. What does the A mean in 12/10/32A? That is, do you think that this would qualify for the rebate:

Product Details:
PlexWriter12X Write, 10X ReWrite, 32X Read ATAPI CD-RW drive. Internal CD-RW drive, Software CD (containing Plextor Manager 2000, Roxio Easy CD Creator, Roxio Direct CD), drive and software manuals, 1 pc. CD-R media, 1 pc. CD-RW media, mounting screws. Retail Box $125 + $8 shipping

The site also carries the 24/10/40 for $154 plus $8 shipping, everything else is the same as above.

I understand that a 12x write speed will take ~ 7 to 8 minutes to record a CD which is fine by me, I am used to it taking 45 minutes to record a 45 minute CD on to tape. If the only difference is the speed, I will probably just go with the 12/10/32 and use the money saved towards a bigger hard drive or something.

Also, how good is the Roxio Easy CD Creator and Roxio Direct CD?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-02, 01:55 PM   #2
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

I've been very happy with the Liteon CDRW burners currently available for much less than the Plextor drives, and I like Nero 5.5 more than the Roxio software.

I got the 24x10x40x Liteon, and it's smooth and quiet, and very speedy.
Old 02-27-02, 09:42 PM   #3
Canes98
Cool New Member

Patman,

Like Heat I recently purchased a LiteOn 32/12/40. I got mine from www.newegg.com I paid a bit more, but the price is now down to $95.00, a steal!! Take a look at the reviews, as they are pretty good. http://www.newegg.com/app/Custrating...tem=27-106-175

I just checked their site, and it appears LiteOn just came out with a new 40/12/48 for $125. I don't know how much of a difference you'll notice using a 40x over a 32x, but who knows. Anyway, I highly recommend Newegg and LiteOn.
Old 02-27-02, 10:11 PM   #4
twikoff
DVD Talk God

heat... from techbargains.com

Plextor 12x10x32 $74 25-Feb-02
Buy.com has the Plextor 12x10x32 CD-Writer for $104.95 - $30 rebate = $74.95 shipped free.

of course make sure to use the dvd talk affiliate links
Old 02-27-02, 10:37 PM   #5
pantala
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look in the office max ads. Every week for the past four, they've sold the CenDyne 24x10x40 for cheaper and cheaper. I got it the first week it was on sale for 55, and it was something like 45 last I checked.
Old 02-27-02, 11:41 PM   #6
Heat
DVD Talk Legend

I like the 12/10/30 Plextor CD/RW for $75 from buy.com (after rebate, with free shipping) (thanks Twikoff).

The alternative at this point is a $130 Yamaha 14/10/40 from best buy (after rebate). But for $55, I think I can live with slower speeds with the Plextor.

My question now is with the software. Plextor comes with Roxio software, Yamaha (and Liteon) come with Nero software.

Is there much of a difference between the two? (I have used neither).
Old 02-28-02, 12:14 AM   #7
pantala
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nero is exponentially more superior than Roxio. I don't think you'll find someone that disagrees here.
Old 02-28-02, 05:57 AM   #8
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, Nero rocks!
Old 02-28-02, 05:59 AM   #9
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally posted by Heat

My question now is with the software. Plextor comes with Roxio software, Yamaha (and Liteon) come with Nero software.

Is there much of a difference between the two? (I have used neither).
nero is by far the better software title...
but I wouldnt let the software included play a role in your decision.
get the plextor, then download nero

not that Im suggesting this.. but each release of nero gives you a month to try it out.. and they release a new build within the month if you keep an eye out at betanews.com.. and each time you install a new build, it starts your trial over.. as long as you never let it expire, then it will keep restarting your time period