Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-03-02, 08:52 PM   #1
RoQuEr
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My ISP doesn't offer usenet access

I'm kinda bummed about this. are there any other ways I can access my newsgroups short of changing ISP's?
Old 02-03-02, 09:47 PM   #2
palebluedot
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Use a pay service like www.newsfeeds.com.
Old 02-03-02, 09:49 PM   #3
Copenhagen
DVD Talk Legend

Why not use google for your newsgroups.
DTSL: Doppelgangers (84522)
kvrdave runs Bartertown
Old 02-03-02, 11:23 PM   #4
UWSarge
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've used www.newscenes.com for about 3 years....
Old 02-04-02, 04:16 PM   #5
leemik

I believe the real URL is : www.newscene.com (no plural)

....and holy crap, that's expensive! Unless you are looking for binary downloads, I'd go with google.. I guess I've been spoiled with my ISP..

--mike
Old 02-04-02, 04:36 PM   #6
TeeSeeJay
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of ISPs do not have authentication on their newsgroups -- if you have the name of the news server for another ISP, give it a try. Try visiting other ISP homepages and looking for their setup directions to find a news server name or IP, and see if you can use it without a password.
Old 02-04-02, 10:00 PM   #7
RoQuEr
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously I can use google for everything but binaries. Newsfeeds.com looks good, but their premium membership costs $15 a month for a combined daily download of 500 MB. Do you know what the normal bandwidth for a newsgroup is. I am worried about marking too many files to download at one time, and then the server deleting the rest before I can download them.

Also, how easy is it to configure simultaneous connections? with 5 x 250 MB I am sure I would never reach my bandwith limit.

TeeSeeJay I have apprehensions about the morality of what you suggest, but isn't that like using another ISP's mail server? I tried news.ufl.edu, but it gave an error every time i tried. If I do SMTP.ufl.edu for email, it will bounce all emails except for ones to @ufl.edu addresses.
Old 02-04-02, 10:05 PM   #8
TeeSeeJay
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by RoQuEr

TeeSeeJay I have apprehensions about the morality of what you suggest, but isn't that like using another ISP's mail server? I tried news.ufl.edu, but it gave an error every time i tried. If I do SMTP.ufl.edu for email, it will bounce all emails except for ones to @ufl.edu addresses. [/b]
I can't really get into the morality of this. SMTP servers are like that for a good reason -- SPAM relies on open relay mail servers. In the case of mail servers, they're pretty useless if you don't have a POP3 account.

Newsgroups, however, are a different matter. But before this turns into a morality discussion, I'm going to just suggest that you do not use another ISP's news server. However, I see nothing wrong with an individual accessing usenet in this manner.
Old 02-04-02, 10:21 PM   #9
RoQuEr
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, I've found:

alt.free.newsservers
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
also a program called server hound at www.darrenadlington.co.uk

haven't tried anything yet.