Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-22-02, 12:58 AM   #1
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

Are all generic CD-Rs suck?

I was desparate and in a rush and bought a 50-pack of 'generic' Hotan 24X 80Min 700MB CD-Rs while at Fry's tonight for $7.00 (expires 1/22, one per customer). The main use for these will be, errr, backing up some software. Even if 20% go goofy on me, I still only shelled out $7. I didn't feel like finding a Target ad, fighting with Circuit **itty for pricematch, and waiting for two rebates. I will be getting a couple 25 packs or at least a 50 from a more reputable brand.

Did I make a huge mistake? Anyone had luck with generics?
Old 01-22-02, 11:54 AM   #2
gbub

Not sure if this will be the reassurance you're looking for, but I got in on that OfficeMax 200 80Min CD-Rs for $40 with $40 mail-in-rebate months ago. I could never get these to burn faster than 6X. I just upgraded my system, and I haven't had one problem burning these full-speed. Mostly I burn CDs though. I did burn a full-length VCD w/ no problem either.

Without knowing your system, I'm not sure if there's anything else to say except give 'em a try. Has anyone else ever bought a CD-R they couldn't burn at any speed?
Old 01-22-02, 04:51 PM   #3
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say it just depends on how finicky your CDRW drive is. If you've fed it generic crap cdrs before and it hasn't burned a coaster yet, chances are you'll have good luck with the Hotans. However if your drive will only burn well on Kodak Gold CDRs you may be in for a little trouble.

-BT
Old 01-22-02, 05:55 PM   #4
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking of starting on a low speed, 6x or 4x, and if I get like 6-7 non-coasters in a row, thinking about bumping up. Does write speed have alot to do with it?

I plan on using my DVD-ROM drive to read the disk I want copied...

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 01-22-02 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-22-02, 09:55 PM   #5
monkeyboy
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i buy the 50 cd generic spindles at fry's all the time. the current batch was GQ (Good Quality) brand. i burn cd's at 8x and rarely ever have problems with the cheap ones. i've had maybe 10 out of 300 that gave me power calibration errors. the rest have been fine. i've had higher quality cd's crap out on me too. i'm not convinced that there's really much difference.
Old 01-22-02, 10:49 PM   #6
BigPete
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it all depends on your burner ... with my plextor 24x and mitsumi 4x, i could piss on the blanks and then rub them in gravel and the things still wouldn't coaster because of the media.

But my roomate could only burn with *gasp* PNY
"What, are you kidding? Leviticus is an action packed thrill a minute! From the beginning where the lord tells Moses how to properly sacrifice animals (with much talk of blood and killing and the word "asunder" used a couple of times), to the very end where he's telling Moses what the value of a human being is, insofar as how much he should give to priests. And the bit in the middle about how everyone should keep their clothes on? Wow, just WOW, that's all I have to say." -Otto
Old 01-23-02, 09:46 AM   #7
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

I've been able to burn at 24x with my Liteon 24x10x40x using some old 4x Imation, and 16x PNY CD-Rs.
Old 01-23-02, 12:08 PM   #8
jumbojp
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been able to burn at 24X using some 8x Smart and Friendly discs I got for free a while back, but they are all gone and I use Imation discs now!

All this talk about CD-R's has raised a question for me though

Are CD-R's like motor oil?

Do major manufacturers rebadge there discs under other names? i.e Valvoline=Discount Auto parts brand oil(FL chain) and Pep Boys is rebadged Havoline or Mobil I think.

I was looking at some Office Depot brand CD-R's and figured they may actually be rebadged TDK's or something. I find it highly unlikely that Office Depot has their own CD-R making factory
Old 01-23-02, 01:58 PM   #9
griz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Patman
I've been able to burn at 24x with my Liteon 24x10x40x using some old 4x Imation, and 16x PNY CD-Rs.
Have you tried the 24x Imations yet? I used to have some 12x's that burned at any speed. When I ran out of those, I picked up some of the new Imation 24x, but my Lite-On won't even accept most of them. Of the few (about 1/3 of the spindle of 50) that it did accept, my Dreamcast didn't like most of my backups burned onto them, although a couple worked. My old 8x HP burned recognizes the 24x ones though, but I haven't tried burning them with that one yet.

Also, I picked up some of those Target TDK's that are 16x. The Lite-On will coaster if I run it at full (24x) speed, but is perfect if I burn it at 16x. So much for burnproof...I get a buffer-underrun if I try it at 24x. (But otherwise, the Lite-On is a great burner...it's worked with all my other old cdr's lying around).
Old 01-23-02, 03:13 PM   #10
jumbojp
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by griz

Have you tried the 24x Imations yet? I used to have some 12x's that burned at any speed. When I ran out of those, I picked up some of the new Imation 24x, but my Lite-On won't even accept most of them. Of the few (about 1/3 of the spindle of 50) that it did accept, my Dreamcast didn't like most of my backups burned onto them, although a couple worked. My old 8x HP burned recognizes the 24x ones though, but I haven't tried burning them with that one yet.

Also, I picked up some of those Target TDK's that are 16x. The Lite-On will coaster if I run it at full (24x) speed, but is perfect if I burn it at 16x. So much for burnproof...I get a buffer-underrun if I try it at 24x. (But otherwise, the Lite-On is a great burner...it's worked with all my other old cdr's lying around).
I have been using 24X Imations with my 24X Lite-On drive and have had no problems burning them at 24X on it.

I have only burned 4 so far, but no problems yet!
Old 01-23-02, 04:08 PM   #11
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by jumbojp
All this talk about CD-R's has raised a question for me though

Are CD-R's like motor oil?

Do major manufacturers rebadge there discs under other names? i.e Valvoline=Discount Auto parts brand oil(FL chain) and Pep Boys is rebadged Havoline or Mobil I think.

I was looking at some Office Depot brand CD-R's and figured they may actually be rebadged TDK's or something. I find it highly unlikely that Office Depot has their own CD-R making factory
That's pretty much the same with CDRs. I read somewhere that there are several large CDR manufacturing plants in Asia that basically supply most of the CDRs for the US market. Basically, if you get that CDRid program (it reads the ATIP info in the very beginning of the cdr) and look at the manufacturer info for different brands, they will usually be the same few Asian manufacturers. CMC Magnetics, Ritek, and Taiyo Yuden are a couple of the big ones.

Here's a short list of rebadged CDRs from Link to a very informative CDR website.

Ritek Co.
Memorex, TDK, Philips and Ricoh

CMC Magnetics
BASF and Imation

You can get CDRid Here

Hope that helps

-BT
Old 01-23-02, 04:19 PM   #12
namja
Stealth Moderator

On my Plextor, I've yet to run into any problems with any CD-R's yet. I've used all kinds of brands and generics ...

life in high definition
Old 01-23-02, 06:30 PM   #13
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
who actually makes the discs?
some generics are made by the same factory as name brand
Old 01-24-02, 10:29 AM   #14
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

*Chuckle* I will have to go through over 100 CD-Rs before I start trying other CD-R brand/types (Took advantage of the Best Buy "free after rebates" offer for the 110 CD-Rs from PNY at the Black Friday sale in November).
Old 01-28-02, 04:42 PM   #15
Y2K Falcon
DVD Talk Legend

For the first $7/no rebate 50-pack from Fry's (I think they were 'Good Quality' CDRs) I went 48 good burns, 2 coasters. One coaster I blame on myself, the other I blame on ME. (that sounds a little schizo)

I'll be working on the second 50-pack soon.

NOTE: My burner is only 8x
Old 01-29-02, 09:28 AM   #16
daledude

When talking about the quality of cd-r's there are two factors. Most people assume that a cd-r that burns properly at high speed is quality. The problem is that diffrent cd-r's have diffrent shelf lives. Some are known to not last more then ten years while others have lasted over 25 years (these were simulated tests).

In general, the cd-r's manufactured in Japan are considered the best overall. These cd-r's are Taiyo Yudens. Some brands that sell them are Fuji and Sony (make sure the label says made in Japan). The Kodak cd-r's that aren't manufactured in Mexico are highly regarded as well.

Other companies such as Riteck and CMC Magnetics manufacturer the bulk of cd-r's used by no name companies. They tend to be average quality. With about a ten year shelf live they should be good enough for most people (in ten years you will either have transferred to a higher capacity media or else just throw it out.)

I've tried many cd-r's, and the two largest factors has been the burner used (some burners don't like certain cd-r's) and the speed used (some 24x cd-r's won't burn at 24x, but just fine at 20x on my 24x burner, while some 2x cd-r's have burned at 24x no problem).

With the exception of abused disc and PNY brand cd-r's I've never lost a disc. (Half of my PNY discs were unreadable after a few months, this being from two packs purchased a few weeks apart.)