Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-14-01, 03:09 PM   #1
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Migrating to Yahoo! Mail in the future, how do I copy my email messages?

Hi Everyone,

I'll be graduating from my university in a quarter or two and I would like to know what the best way for me to migrate my email from the university's system to Yahoo! Mail.

Other then forwarding every important message, is there a way just to copy the files? Does anyone have any suggestions?

My university's email system is PINE utilizing IMAP (or can be POP if desired).

Thanks!
Old 12-14-01, 08:24 PM   #2
clemente
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not an exact answer, but definately a solution if you want to save all your messages......set up Eudora on your PC and check for new messages and it should download all the messages in your Mail folder.
Old 12-15-01, 12:43 AM   #3
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just like Clemente said, you could try downloading them into Yahoo! mail by setting up your mail account on the school servers as a POP account within Yahoo. Other than that, I can't figure any other way to do it. Good luck.
Old 12-15-01, 08:41 AM   #4
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Migrating to Yahoo! Mail in the future, how do I copy my email messages?

Quote:
Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Hi Everyone,

I'll be graduating from my university in a quarter or two and I would like to know what the best way for me to migrate my email from the university's system to Yahoo! Mail.

Other then forwarding every important message, is there a way just to copy the files? Does anyone have any suggestions?

My university's email system is PINE utilizing IMAP (or can be POP if desired).

Thanks!
When you download the mail to your pc it gets put into a database file. The file depends on which mail client you're using. MS Outlook it's .pst. Outlook Express is .dbx. I don't know about the other clients. Try to search by size and if you have a lot of email it should be several megabytes at least.
Old 12-15-01, 05:54 PM   #5
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

One problem, however, is that if I downlaod all of my mail to OE via POP, then all of the mail would be stored locally on the computer, and not on the Yahoo! Mail webspace.

I want to keep all of my mail on Yahoo! Mail instead of locally on OE because I'm never at the same computer at the same time. It's so much better just to use the web interface since I don't have to always setup a client when I'm hopping from computer to computer.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the help again.
Old 12-15-01, 07:03 PM   #6
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by MitzEclipse
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

One problem, however, is that if I downlaod all of my mail to OE via POP, then all of the mail would be stored locally on the computer, and not on the Yahoo! Mail webspace.

I want to keep all of my mail on Yahoo! Mail instead of locally on OE because I'm never at the same computer at the same time. It's so much better just to use the web interface since I don't have to always setup a client when I'm hopping from computer to computer.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the help again.
In OE and Outlook when you set up an Internet email account there is either an advanced tab. Go to it and at the bottom you will have a choice to leave a copy of the message on the server. I do it this way and check my personal email at work and home.
Old 12-16-01, 01:52 AM   #7
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the suggestion teplitsa, but the problem is, those messages were never on the server to begin with. That's what I'm trying to do - move them all to Yahoo! Mail from my university's server
Old 12-16-01, 05:19 AM   #8
benedict

:-) Is this STILL open?

If I were you I'd be tempted to leave all my old email behind: just because it can be saved is it really necessary to hang on to all that stuff?

All else aside, I thought Blake already hit on the solution....

.... Yahoo has an option to interrogate third-party mailservers and then to download the mail from them to the Yahoo server.

You need to:
a) Have a Yahoo account (duh )
b) Log in to Yahoo mail and click the "options" button on the left
c) On the resultant screen click "Check Other (POP) Mail"
d) On the next screen click the "Add mail server" button.
e) Beforehand you need to have checked that you know the university mailserver name(s) and your password there.
f) Add the university mailserver name where it says "Mail Account Server"
g) Add your username where it says "Mail Account Username"
h) Add the password where it says "Mail Account Password"
i) Uncheck "use filters" and "retrieve new messages only"
j) Click "OK" at the bottom.
k) From the page which shows your stored details click the "check mail" link on the far right. That should download everything that is stored on the university server to Yahoo.

Two or three additional points. I don't know anything AT ALL about your university server so if you have problems with server names, passwords etc etc you'll need to ask a systems administrator there.

I am also ASSuming (1) that because you have an IMAP system that all your emails are still stored on the server there and (2) that they are downloadable using the Yahoo system.

Let us know if/how it works out!
Old 12-16-01, 01:13 PM   #9
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

benedict,

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking - BUT one problem... my mail server requires a SECURE SSH telnet session, thus that proceedure won't work.

That method used to work before they required secure sessions, but now, it will not work.

That would have been the best way to migrate the mail!!

Suggestions anyone???
Old 12-16-01, 02:33 PM   #10
benedict

You cannot be the first in this situation....

.... ask a systems administrator at your university. Surely they must have off-the-shelf answers?

Also, check out the online advice/info at other universities if your's doesn't have an immediate online answer:

Software & advice:
http://www2.essex.ac.uk/cs/services/ssh/ssh.htm
http://www.uvm.edu/cit/ssh/
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/is/selfhelp...-i1/ssh-i1.htm

Web-email gateway/redirection:
https://webemail.it.northwestern.edu...webemail_login
http://www.resnet.bris.ac.uk/docs/remotemail.html

Last edited by benedict; 12-16-01 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-17-01, 02:56 AM   #11
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I asked them, but still no reply. I was hoping somone on DVDTalk would have the answer
Old 12-20-01, 09:14 PM   #12
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bump! Someone's gotta know..
Old 12-22-01, 11:48 PM   #13
QuAcKeR
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can't access it via POP with Yahoo then I'd say your only real option is to download to a computer with a mail client and then hopefully select them ALL and forward them to your Yahoo account.
Old 12-23-01, 02:40 AM   #14
olie029
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rememeber Yahoo has a limited space for you to save messeges (I think it might be 3MB I might be wrong), i know you dont want to, but you might be better off moving to a single PC to DL your messeges and set up a Yahoo mail POP account. That way you have all your messeges together in a PC.
Old 12-27-01, 01:35 PM   #15
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there any way to copy messages from the pop client (outlook express, for example) to yahoo mail's web interface?