Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-06-01, 12:03 PM   #1
mljones99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What's a good tv card for use with XP?

I want to get a tv card to be able to watch tv and record shows onto my computer. Basically make it a pc version of TiVo. I have heard about the new NVidia Personal Cinema and they seem to be pretty good. I have read about the TV-Wonders from ATI and haven't heard nice things... like its hard to setup, the quality is horrible, etc...

Do any of youhave any knowledge on this and could help me pick a good card for what i want to do?

ps- I have a geforce 3 if that matters (i have heard that what video card you have makes a difference?)
Old 12-06-01, 12:24 PM   #2
X
Administrator

I've been recommending the $40 (CompUSA) I/O Magic PC PVR card http://www.iomagic.com/support/video...CPVR/index.htm

It has very good quality TV, s-video and composite in, and comes with VCR type software. Don't believe the documentation that says the s-video and composite in don't work -- they do. As for XP, I don't know. I guess you could either call the company (but whether they'll reliably know is another matter) or try it yourself and return it if it doesn't work.

I think it's a good idea to have the TV tuner function separate from the video card because you can upgrade either without major disruptions to your system. And with the video card you already have, why get a lesser one? By the way, I'm using it with a GeForce2

You can do a search here and get more info on it.
Old 12-06-01, 12:30 PM   #3
mljones99
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.