Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-01, 07:05 PM   #1
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

I just wanted to post that i just got around to putting my new computer together

It was an ASUS A7V133 with an Athlon 1.2 Ghz 266 cpu. I love my Antec sx830 case .

Other than my putting one jumper on wrong the first time it went very well. so far no real problems.

Of course tonight I try to set up a dual boot system with win 2K. so I may be paying for this post later

Thanks for all your posts that ended up really helping me decide on some of my parts.

Talk to you all tonight
Denon 2802
Old 06-21-01, 03:31 AM   #2
iveal

Congrats on your new system. Any plans for overclocking your tbird anytime soon?
Old 06-21-01, 03:43 AM   #3
X
Administrator

Congradulations!

And make sure you don't burn that CPU up!
Old 06-21-01, 11:27 AM   #4
DavidY

Quote:
And make sure you don't burn that CPU up!
Actually, that's what happened to my Athlon 1200-266 CPU....due likely to a non-AMD-certified heatsink/fan combo (stupid me and the dealer). So check with the AMD website to make sure that your heatsink/fan is AMD certified for 1200+ MHz.

Luckily, the dealer replaced the CPU under warranty.

Dave
Old 06-21-01, 02:21 PM   #5
BlasTech Industries CEO
DVD Talk Special Edition

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most Mainboards come with the necessary fan? If AMD certifies the board, shouldn't the included fan then be fine as well?

-BlasTech

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut."
Old 06-21-01, 03:00 PM   #6
BubbaX

Quote:
Originally posted by BlasTech Industries CEO
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most Mainboards come with the necessary fan? If AMD certifies the board, shouldn't the included fan then be fine as well?

-BlasTech
I have never seen a MB that comes with a fan. Some dealers may give you one with a purchase, but it does not come from the manufacturer. You will get a fan and a maufacturers warranty if you buy a retail-boxed cpu (Intel or AMD).
Old 06-21-01, 03:59 PM   #7
BlasTech Industries CEO
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weird, all the ones I've ever bought have come with a fan. Maybe the dealer I use throws them in, I don't know. But I've bought about 10 various boards from dealers and I've always got a fan. Interesting. Well, Kudos to the dealers I use. Oh, and all of the boards have been alone, not retail boxed.

"Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut."
Old 06-21-01, 05:07 PM   #8
DavidY

To prevent toasting your AMD CPU, you need to get an AMD-certified heatsink/fan that meets or exceeds the clock rating of the CPU. The original heatsink/fan (Chrome Orb) that I had used may have been rated for 800 MHz, but for sure not 1200. The replacement heatsink/fan is a Thermaltake Volcano II. BTW, it's noisy, but does the job.

Dave

[Edited by DavidY on 06-21-01 at 03:09 PM]
Old 06-21-01, 08:41 PM   #9
Illinois Enema Bandit
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by gcribbs
Of course tonight I try to set up a dual boot system with win 2K. so I may be paying for this post later
If you are going to dual-boot with Win95/98/Me, install 2K last, otherwise the system partition will likely be overwritten and 2K hosed
Old 06-21-01, 11:37 PM   #10
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Dank
Quote:
Originally posted by gcribbs
If you are going to dual-boot with Win95/98/Me, install 2K last, otherwise the system partition will likely be overwritten and 2K hosed
thanks for the good wishes everyone

I read about win 98 sometimes overwriting win 2k files and making you reinstall those files from win 2k. I installed win 98se first. then I ended up configuring some of my other software and spending time with my younger brother so I never dual booted this yet

I thought I had hosed my system at first since it started for a second then shutdown and would not power up. It turns out I misread where to put the connection for the power button and had it one jumper over. when i checked everything twice I found my stupid error and it booted up fine.

I actually am using the retail HS/Fan right now so it is running too hot for me but well within specs. Thank goodness I read how to put on these heatsinks or else I might have had some problems. The screw driver method was a winner

I have not overclocked the Tbird because i do not think the retail HS/Fan is up to it. I did overclock my video card however

Once I decide on a new heatsink I might test this chip a bit

It is an AXIA so I am hoping to hit 1.4 Ghz. it seems to be unlocked since I have access to the multiplier so I am hopeful.
Denon 2802
Old 06-22-01, 01:04 AM   #11
X
Administrator

So are you going to be able to post earlier and faster now?
Old 06-22-01, 09:01 PM   #12
GalvTexGuy

I'm new to the forum, so don't flame me too much. It's probably a stupid question, but why would you want to overclock an AMD 1.2 Ghz processor? I have an AMD 1.1 Ghz on a Abit KT7A RAID mobo by the way.

Again, don't flame me too badly, just curious. Thanks.

Steve
Old 06-22-01, 10:15 PM   #13
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by GalvTexGuy
I'm new to the forum, so don't flame me too much. It's probably a stupid question, but why would you want to overclock an AMD 1.2 Ghz processor? I have an AMD 1.1 Ghz on a Abit KT7A RAID mobo by the way.

Again, don't flame me too badly, just curious. Thanks.

Steve
Because It can be done

There is no real reason to do it. I just know it can be done so I figure why not speed things up a bit

Actually it is a stupid hobby to tweak my computer. It really is not for most users since if i screw up i ruin my processor. So if you are happy with your computer or just do not feel like playing around with things that can damage your computer then never overclock.

I guess I am not too bright

X, yeah faster and earlier

I dual booted my computer today with win 2k and win 98se. now I just need to get all my devices to work. right now it boots into win 2k fine when I want it to. all my devices need new drivers. I downloaded some so I hope in my next free time I will finish this project. Install drivers for my modem, SB Live and video card as well as the via 4 in 1 win 2k drivers.

kind of fun playing with win 2k. maybe i will triple boot next and add linux
Denon 2802