Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-12-01, 07:08 PM   #1
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the layout:

PC1: Gateway Server (400 MHz) running Win2k.
2 NICs:
1) In from Cable Modem
2) Out to router which then gives 'net access to PC2 & PC3

PC2: AMD 1.1 GHz running Win2k.
1 NIC:
1) From router

PC3: AMD 850 MHz running Win98.
1 NIC:
1) From router

On PC1 I am running Sygate Home Network which apparently only shares the internet connection between the 3 computers.

Basically, I'm trying to connect PC1 and PC2 (since they're both in the same room with a KMV switch controlling them). Can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide that can show me how to network 2 Win2k computers via the router or help me with some instructions?

Thanks much!
Old 05-12-01, 07:36 PM   #2
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I am sure there is a guide somewhere, but since I don't need one I don't know where to point you

I am sure I will not get this all in one post, but here is the low down.

"Sygate Home Network" <--- is not really needed unless your router requires it (you never said what router).

Brief overview of how to setup the Gateway server with 2 nics.

1. NIC one should be setup with a standard tcp/ip config to access the net through your cable modem.

you need an IP address or DHCP
if static IP then you need DNS, Defaut Gateway, Subnet mask
go into advanced properties of your DNS tab and turn off "register this connections address" you do not need this.

Make sure this works and the gateway can 'see' the internet.

2. Install nic 2
go into the properties of NIC 1 (right click network places, click properties, find nic 1 right click go properties)
click the sharing tab and enable sahring from NIC 1 to NIC 2 this should be obvious. This will also set NIC 2 up with an IP 192.168.X.X

Since you are connection your router to NIC 2 make sure the IP information is correct to connect to the 192.168.X.X subent. Tell me if that makes no sense to you, most folks just use a hub here with a dual nic setup (like me)

I assume you are letting your router perform DHCP for the other two machines?? Point is, these other two machine must have an IP address in the same 192.168.X.X range as the second NIC in your server. I think this may be your issue.

The easiest thing to do with win2k security is to make a local user on all machines that has the SAME exact name and password and make that user an administrator (even set that user up for autologin makes it even easier) that way no matter what machine you are on you have full access to all other machines.

Map a drive from one machine to another and see what happens. Try the admin share C$

\\PC1\c$

see what happens

Old 05-12-01, 07:55 PM   #3
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I do have the same login/password for both machines (with auto-login enabled).

Also, you said:
Quote:
Tell me if that makes no sense to you, most folks just use a hub here with a dual nic setup (like me)
And quite frankly, it doesn't make sense - I don't see a place to set up sharing from one NIC to the other and I think I misused the term router instead of hub - I just have a basic hub with the output NIC going in and then ethernet cables running to the two other computers.

Does this change anything?
Old 05-12-01, 10:32 PM   #4
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

A hub and a router are different things (today the line is blurry, but still there) that does change things.

On the gateway machine with 2 nics, right click my network places on the desktop, choose properties, select the NIC that is configured with a REAL IP address (nic 1) right click that nic (connection 1 maybe) and choose properties.

ON THIS PAGE at the top there are two tabs, one says general and the other says sharing, click on sharing. Check the box that says enable internet connection sharing, then choose nic 2 in the selection box (this assumes nic 2 is installed in the machine)

WIN2K will now assign IP addy 192.168.0.1 to NIC 2. Make sure your other PCs have an IP on this subnet
set it manually on each machine and use
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

this should do it for you. BTW - I would also load NET BEUI as a protocol on each machine, this will make it go fast for local transfers
Old 05-12-01, 10:57 PM   #5
Nefarious
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Follow 4KRG's steps. That's exactly how I set mine up. Everything was essentially the same as your setup (one less computer). Don't use Sygate's software...IMO.
Old 05-13-01, 12:11 AM   #6
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if I uninstall Sygate, but leave everything as is, I should still have connectivity? I thought it was necessary to have some sort of program running to share the network access.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nefarious
Follow 4KRG's steps. That's exactly how I set mine up. Everything was essentially the same as your setup (one less computer). Don't use Sygate's software...IMO.
Old 05-13-01, 12:15 AM   #7
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
So if I uninstall Sygate, but leave everything as is, I should still have connectivity? I thought it was necessary to have some sort of program running to share the network access
That software is called ICS (internet connection sharing) and is built into Windows 2000, WINME, and Windows 98 SE.

Sygate could be used on Windows NT 4.0 or Win 95, you should NOT use such garbage on win2k.

Uninstall it and follow above steps.
Old 05-13-01, 12:19 AM   #8
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG
ON THIS PAGE at the top there are two tabs, one says general and the other says sharing, click on sharing. Check the box that says enable internet connection sharing, then choose nic 2 in the selection box (this assumes nic 2 is installed in the machine)

WIN2K will now assign IP addy 192.168.0.1 to NIC 2. Make sure your other PCs have an IP on this subnet
set it manually on each machine and use
mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
NIC1: Cable
NIC2: LAN

When I click on "Enable Internet Connection Sharing," the box becomes checked, but there is no where to "choose nic 2 in the selection box." If I go to NIC:LAN, and select "Enable Internet Connection sharing for this connection," it tells me that ICS for NIC:Cable will be disabled. So which one do I want to technically want to share the connection? I realize I need to share NIC:Cable, but NIC:LAN actually connects to the network.
Old 05-13-01, 12:37 AM   #9
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I have quite a few LAN's to share from this machine. If you only have 2 nics installed then it probably does not force you to choose which one to share with, my bad I have more than 2 NICS

You want to share the cable side, if you share the LAN side nothing will happen.

Enable internet connection sharing on NIC1: cable using any defaults that are there and it should go.
Old 05-13-01, 12:54 AM   #10
Blake
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, though it made sense, it didn't work - once I enable ICS on PC1, NIC1, I lose all internet connectivity - would the Sygate software have something to do with this possibly?

Also, on the hub, the way I had it set up is that NIC2 output into Port 1, while the other two computers were in Ports 2 & 3 - should NIC2 be connected to the "Uplink" connection on the hub?
Old 05-13-01, 01:03 AM   #11
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Blake

Sygate may cause a problem, I do not know for sure.

Here is what I would try
1. uninstall sygate
2. uninstall the second nic (for real, use the win2k device manager and click uninstall don't just rip it out of the box)
3. make sure internet is up and working on NIC1
4. reinstall NIC2 but do nothing to the settings
5. re enable the ICS on nic 1

see what happens

I am going to bed, catch you tomorrow and I will draw a nice picture to make sure we are on the same page, that is, if it still is not working.

good luck