Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-04-01, 04:01 PM   #1
donnnster

I am in the process of putting together a new computer system and am debating which OS i should choose to install. I have been running windows 98 on my old system and am not too happy with it(too man blue screens of death and system crashes). I was wondering which OS people prefer and if you have had any software compatibility issues with the newer OS's. Thanks.

Donny
Old 05-04-01, 04:24 PM   #2
HN
DVD Talk Limited Edition

win2k

--HN
Old 05-04-01, 04:35 PM   #3
nico95

ditto....much more stable.
Old 05-04-01, 07:53 PM   #4
Wolfchild
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just installed Win2K and there are a few cons as well. Some older software may not work, although most works fine. I'm not convinced the OS itself is that much more stable, but it is much more resilient to a program that starts screwing up or crashing. For instance, I use the Opera browser a lot and when it would crash with Win98 it would usually take the whole system down too, but with Win2k you can just shut it down and usually reopen it right away.

Win2K can be a little tricker when installing drivers for hardware, or so it seems to me. Well it wasn't really intended for home users. But nothing you can't handle if you're a savvy user.

I'm leaving Win2K on this machine because I'm on it hours a day, it runs 24/7 and it's very disruptive to have the system crash all the time like mine did with 98SE installed. However, the wife's computer we're leaving 98SE on. It isn't used as many hours, is turned off more, and I can't even remember the last time it crashed - it's very stable for its purpose.

I think Win98 can be very stable on some machines - it just depends on what you're doing, how often you reboot, what software and hardware installed. I have a friend who left a Celeron system on for six months. Windows 98 was the OS and he ran office apps on it. No kidding. I've never had that kind of luck with 98, but he did.

Just my $.02, I'm no expert.

Windows XP anyone??? I haven't heard much about it yet.
Old 05-04-01, 09:26 PM   #5
einTier
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Win2k unless you're going to play a crapton of games.

I love 2k. I think it's the best OS Microsoft's built yet. Stability is fairly solid -- I would not say enterprise level, because I'm used to BSD, but certainly leaps and bounds beyond 98 and even NT 4. I really really like it.

If you're going to play games, do what I do. Use 2k as your primary OS, but don't install any games. Then, install a minimal install of WinME, and set up a basic set of drivers for your hardware. Install all games there.
Old 05-04-01, 10:51 PM   #6
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if XP will be the best of both worlds between 2K and ME?
Old 05-04-01, 11:46 PM   #7
namja
Stealth Moderator

My computer with Win98 crashed about once or twice a day, even with a clean install. My computer, now equipped with Win2k, has yet to crash. I've been running it 24 hours a day for 25 days now.

life in high definition
Old 05-04-01, 11:58 PM   #8
asabase
DVD Talk Limited Edition

win2k first, 98 next. avoid ME at all costs
Old 05-05-01, 03:57 AM   #9
einTier
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a word of advice. If you're going to dual boot, install 2k last. 2k will recognise the other OS and allow you to dual boot. 95/98/ME will not and will just overwrite the Master Boot Record, forcing you to fix or reinstall 2K.
Old 05-05-01, 04:33 AM   #10
TheyCallHimJim
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Win2K without a doubt, but it might be an idea to install 98 alongside it for games and the like; most things run OK in 2K, but ther are a few odd things that won't run at all, or run better in 98.

http://www.3dspotlight.com/articles/dualboot/ has a VERY detailed guide about how to set up a Win2K/Win9x dual booting system. Definitely worth a look if you're thinking of doing this...

AIM: TheyCallHimJim
MSN: theycallhimjim@hotmail.com