Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-01, 08:04 PM   #1
Danimal

Okay, I need to get some new computer speakers. Just got the new computer setup and the old 2.1 speakers don't really cut it for DVD or gaming. I'm looking at the Altec Lansings because that's what my old setup is and they have always sounded very good. I've got a Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard. I was looking at the ATP5 speakers compared to the ACS56 speakers. They seem pretty similar in output, 80 vs 70 watts. But the ATP have these two tiny tweeters and a mid range driver firing down. Whereas the ACS56 only have a Full range driver in the little cubes. The subwoofers seem about the same, 35 watts. The ATP5 seem to be newer, but look kinda weird IMO with the stick thing. Does anyone have any opinions on either model? Especially with DVD playback and 3d surround games.
Also, are there any good cheap stands for the rear speakers? The stands don't need to be very big since the speakers are pretty tiny.
Oh, one more question, Has anyone ever tried hooking up two sets of ATP3s??? That way you could get twice as much bass.

[Edited by Danimal on 04-30-01 at 05:08 PM]
Uhh,... I think I'd better come clean with you about this. It's, um,-- it's not a virus, I'm afraid. You see, a virus is what we doctors call very, very small. So small, it could not possibly have made off with a whole leg. What we're looking for here is, I think,-- And this is no more than an educated guess. I'd like to make that clear. ...Is some multi-cellular life form with stripes, huge razor-sharp teeth, about eleven foot long, and of the genus Felis Horribilis: what we doctors, in fact, call a 'tiger'.
Old 05-01-01, 07:41 PM   #2
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'll probably want the ACS56s because I've seen and heard the ATP5 and those tiny tweaters and poor excuses for midrange drivers are just not going to cut it for DVDs. if you really want a good system I recommend checking out the offerings from Cambridge Soundworks DTT systems.

They offer true 5.1 DD-capable speaker systems for your computer and might be a better deal for your ears =)
Old 05-01-01, 10:35 PM   #3
Thunderball
DVD Talk Legend

Not to hijack the thread..but do you really need a 5.1 system for a PC? What benefits do you receive?

I'm very curious...
Old 05-01-01, 11:09 PM   #4
Danimal

I have checked into the Cambridge soundworks 5.1 DD offerings and was kinda disappointed by the lack of power. The satellites are 6 watts each and the subwoofer is only 19 watts for the DTT2200. Also, they only provide 5.1 with the Soundblaster live 5.1 cards and I don't want to spend $200 to go for the DTT2500. Whereas I can make a custom 5.1 sound system with my Philips Acoustic Edge and any set of speakers. BTW, Thanks for the info on the ATP5s, BT.

Thunderball, I think the DVD drive in the computer, just inspires to get a 5.1 setup. Not that I'll be watching any movies on my computer, but I'm sure some people do. It's not much of a jump from a 4.1 to a 5.1. Plus the Acoustic Edge will turn any signal into 5.1. Which could make your mp3s or video games sound more like true surround.
Uhh,... I think I'd better come clean with you about this. It's, um,-- it's not a virus, I'm afraid. You see, a virus is what we doctors call very, very small. So small, it could not possibly have made off with a whole leg. What we're looking for here is, I think,-- And this is no more than an educated guess. I'd like to make that clear. ...Is some multi-cellular life form with stripes, huge razor-sharp teeth, about eleven foot long, and of the genus Felis Horribilis: what we doctors, in fact, call a 'tiger'.