Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-14-01, 11:36 PM   #1
Andy Kim

...when the back of my computer doesn't have one of those big-ass serial ports needed for external modems. Is there an adapter that will connect to the end of a big-ass modem cable and then connect to the USB port on the back of my computer?
Old 04-15-01, 12:21 AM   #2
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Kim
...when the back of my computer doesn't have one of those big-ass serial ports needed for external modems. Is there an adapter that will connect to the end of a big-ass modem cable and then connect to the USB port on the back of my computer?
Yes, but they do not work 100%

http://www.siig.com/products/usb/usb_plus_serial.html

Buy one of these instead

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...220183&loc=101

or buy a $20 internal modem.
Old 04-15-01, 08:59 AM   #3
Jason Northrup
Mod Emeritus

Do you have any serial port (9pin or 25pin)? Most (if not all) PCs should have at least one of these.
Old 04-15-01, 11:29 AM   #4
Andy Kim

Yes, my computer does have 9-pin serial port (2 of them) but it does not have a 25-pin serial port. I believe all external modems still use the 25-pin serial...why don't have more USB port external modems these days? I thought that would be the standard now but I have only seen a few (ie. USR in their home line only has 1 that's USB compatible)
Old 04-15-01, 12:46 PM   #5
Jason Northrup
Mod Emeritus

A 9pin port will be fine for using your modem. You can either get a 9pin to 25pin converter or you can get a cable that plugs into the 25pin port on your modem with a 9pin plug on the opposite end. You should be able to get these almost anywhere (Walmart, Staple, Circuit City...).
Old 04-15-01, 01:39 PM   #6
Andy Kim

Jason, great news!
Does that not degrade the signal or communication in anyway?
Thanks to you and everyone who helped.
Old 04-15-01, 01:41 PM   #7
yellowperil
Cool New Member

I have a Best Data external modem, and use a 25->9 pin Belkin cable to the serial port. AFAIK this is the only way to go with serial external modems.
Old 04-15-01, 08:07 PM   #8
Startide
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AndyKim, as Jason said, the 25-to-9 pin adapter will work. The external serial modem only uses a few wires in the cable anyways. It doesn't use all 25-pins. When buying adapters at a local store, make sure you remember the male/female-ness of the connectors. Modems typically are 25-pin D connector, female. The 9-pin serial connector on PC case is typically 9-pin male. Write that down on a piece of paper before you go to the store.

Gender changers range in price from $2.95 to $19.95 for the exact same brand part from the same maker. Usually, the only people that buy these at stores are desperately needing one, so the price is accordingly high. The cheap part will work just as good so don't fall to sales hype.

You can also get the 25-pin-to-9-pin adapter built-into an extension cable. If you don't have the correct-sized extension cable, this might be more convenient. Don't get ripped off on price.

Which Anime DVD have Bugs or Errors?: http://demaagd.com/anime/dvdbugs/

Anime DVD Glitches Discussion Forum: http://forums.animeondvd.com/postlis...lapsed&sb=5&o=
Old 04-21-01, 10:40 PM   #9
Jason Northrup
Mod Emeritus

Just wondering if you ever got this hooked up and working.
Old 04-22-01, 06:07 AM   #10
benedict

I have the reverse problem! Until now I have always had an external modem and it hooked up via the 9-pin thingy.

I had the motherboard replaced last week and believe that there is a better (internal) modem included on it. But, of course, I have no special lead to hook it to my phone line. My brother says that his PC has a little slot at the back of his tower that looks (more or less) like the normal phone connector. I just have all the normal stuff plus a couple of USB connetion points.

My guess is that I'll need something that will fit into the old nine-pin formerly used by my external modem. The external modem still functions by the way which surprised me at the time as I thought there might be some kind of conflict.

I'll have to wait until Monday to get the part but would be interested if anyone else upgrading a few years back faced a similar "problem".

(My system, needless to say, is old. I'm just getting it in shape to pass on before I get something a little more current!)

[Edited by benedict on 04-22-01 at 03:11 AM]