Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-12-01, 11:58 PM   #1
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

I have always owned IBM computers, but since they only sell mail order now I decided to buy a Sony Vaio. It seemed pretty nice and had a 833 PIII. I started having strange lockup problems with it from day one and today the harddrive finally went crazy and eventually the PC would no longer start. I returned it to the store and the guy said that this is the third one they have gotten back in the last two days. I said forget about the Sony and after looking around at several stores I found a decent deal on the Compaq Presario Special Edition. It has a 1.2 Ghz AMD processor and a bunch of other cool stuff like a 32mb video card, 128bit Sound Blaster card, DVD ROM, CD-RW and so on. Paid $1400 plus the usual taxes. Hopefully this computer will get me throught the next few years.
Old 04-13-01, 01:40 AM   #2
gcribbs
DVD Talk Legend

I am really surprised they had this much problems with the sony. i have not heard that they were any worse than all the other pc makers like Hp or Compaq. Dell is one of the better computers makers for reliablity. with emachine near the botttom.

Did you ever think of building your own?

Denon 2802
Old 04-13-01, 07:12 AM   #3
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by gcribbs
I am really surprised they had this much problems with the sony. i have not heard that they were any worse than all the other pc makers like Hp or Compaq. Dell is one of the better computers makers for reliablity. with emachine near the botttom.

Did you ever think of building your own?

Thought about it, but it always comes out more expensive that way. At least at the prices the local computer parts store charges. The price for what I wanted was around $1300 and that didn't include Windows ME or any other software.