Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Best streaming device for non-tech savvy people?

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 12:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

So my Brother-in-Law shoots me a text asking if i've heard of Roku. All i said was that it was a streaming device for digital content. now he and my sis don't even have a dvd player, i believe, let alone a Smart TV, though it is HDTV.

so i've only streamed through Smart TV, XBOX, or Bluray player.

what is the best physical device on market to stream content for non-tech savvy people?

just plug HDMI and i can walk them through getting them onto my Vudu, Netflix, etc...
Old 11-11-17, 01:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Best streaming device for non-tech savvy people?

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So my Brother-in-Law shoots me a text asking if i've heard of Roku. All i said was that it was a streaming device for digital content. now he and my sis don't even have a dvd player, i believe, let alone a Smart TV, though it is HDTV.

so i've only streamed through Smart TV, XBOX, or Bluray player.

what is the best physical device on market to stream content for non-tech savvy people?

just plug HDMI and i can walk them through getting them onto my Vudu, Netflix, etc...
Yep, I think Roku devices are about the easiest to use and cheapest to buy. They could get a Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick for $25 or $30 at Amazon or Wal-Mart. The only thing to be careful about is for example the Roku Streaming Stick requires 2 HDMI ports right next to each other. Other than that, no worries in general.

Here's Amazon's selection: https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...-keywords=Roku

Hope that helps!
Old 11-11-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Roku for sure, and it's flexible and versatile. I have a Premiere and two of the latest sticks, and we do pretty much everything, from Amazon, Netflix, Vudu, Plex, DirecTVNOW, through it.
Old 11-11-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

The Roku Express Plus(only available at Walmart) has the red,white ,yellow out for older tv sets.
Old 11-11-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Roku wins for pure ease of use. Easier to navigate than the Fire TV, Apple TV and slew of Android based tv players.
Old 11-11-17, 03:07 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Get a Roku. It's the best streaming device. And probably the easiest to set-up and use.
Old 11-11-17, 03:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

so, Roku? thanks guys!
Old 11-12-17, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

The stick does NOT require 2 HDMI ports- it only requires one, but it's best if there's also a USB port nearby for power. If there isn't one, it comes with an adaptor to plug it into a standard power outlet, which could be a bit awkward depending on where it is. I've heard stories of it not lasting long if it's kept hooked up all the time; my main Roku is an older one (since it has the older Netflix interface that doesn't break into credits) and I only plug in the stick to the front of my receiver when I actually use it, which isn't often. (It works slightly better on Vudu than the older Roku, but not by enough to bother with it usually. I could just use my TV's Vudu app if they'd let it output Dolby Digital Plus.)

If someone isn't tech-savvy, the biggest worry about one of these would be what to do if it loses its internet connection.
Old 11-15-17, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I need to get a external device to get PlayStation Vue for the one LG Smart TV we have. We're giving Amazon Prime a go and will probably stay with it. I've been told to get a Fire Stick or the new Fire TV but the issue is we have a wired connection since the wifi where the TV is , is a bit spotty....it's a older house with thicker walls, lots of mortar and brick.

Does the Roku offer a box with a CAT connection? The Fire TV can but you have to buy an additional adapter and the demand is already high for it that i's not available till Dec 2nd. If not then I need to find some signal power booster to put on the AT7T Uverse router I guess.
Old 11-15-17, 10:25 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
we have a wired connection since the wifi where the TV is , is a bit spotty....it's a older house with thicker walls, lots of mortar and brick.

Does the Roku offer a box with a CAT connection?
The higher end Roku models have an Ethernet port for a wired connection.

Roku Ultra ($100) is the latest model with an Ethernet port.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

If you're on a budget, and don't have a 4K TV, look into a Roku 3. It's an older model, but I still use one as my main streaming device and it works great. You can probably pick one up for around $50.

You can also look for a Roku Premiere+. That came out last gen (between the Roku 3 and Roku Ultra). It's 4K and has Ethernet. Those are around $65-$75.

Also remember that Rokus will be on sale for Black Friday. Prices usually drop around 20%-25%.
Old 11-15-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

If you're on a budget, and don't have a 4K TV, look into a Roku 3. It's an older model, but I still use one as my main streaming device and it works great. You can probably pick one up for around $50.

You can also look for a Roku Premiere+. That came out last gen (between the Roku 3 and Roku Ultra). It's 4K and has Ethernet. Those are around $65-$75.

Also remember that Rokus will be on sale for Black Friday. Prices usually drop around 20%-25%.
Last week BB & Amazon had the Roku Premiere+ for $49.99. Amazons price finally dropped to $44 & I brought 2 for my brother & SNL.
Old 11-15-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

Big thumbs up for the Roku 3. As someone who does not do 4k, it does everything I need. One note though, the 3 and the Ultra have USB ports, the Premiere+ does not. May not matter to you, but it is super convenient to have the ability to play a file off a usb stick.
Old 11-15-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Big thumbs up for the Roku 3. As someone who does not do 4k, it does everything I need. One note though, the 3 and the Ultra have USB ports, the Premiere+ does not. May not matter to you, but it is super convenient to have the ability to play a file off a usb stick.
I'm returning the Premiere+, not because there is no USB port. But a friend found some Roku Ultra - 4640R (2016 Model) from one of our local Walmarts for $25 each. He saw one on the shelf & asked if they had more in the back & he brought the other 4 they had. So I'm getting 2 of them.
Old 11-16-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Another vote for the Roku. I'm looking to upgrade to a SkyStream ONE though so I can do other things.
Old 11-16-17, 10:30 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Two Roku's and a Roku TV in our household- big yes vote here