Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

View Poll Results: Do you think there are too many pay streaming services?
Yes, way too many. Limited time, not enough money 15 65.22%
No, like all the options 7 30.43%
I already pay enough for cable/satellite, so I have 0 interest in all these services 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-17, 12:45 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Do you think there are too many pay streaming services?

With NBC announcing plans to launch yet another pay streaming service within the next year, I was wondering if it's time to ask do you think there are too many streaming services out there?

I think yes. There are too many niche services that I wonder if the current marketplace can even support all of them.

I currently have Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All-Access. I also have Shudder, but I barely use it due to not enough time.

If they start pulling shows from Netflix and Hulu to exclusive streaming services, I think the marketplace is going to meltdown. It's just crazy.

There's services with niche content that I am kind of interested in, but I would feel pressure to watch a certain number of shows/movies per month to make the monthly fee worth it.

I already subscribe to the premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz and Max through my provider. But, I couldn't imagine trying to juggle paying for all of those a la carte and trying to watch enough to make it worth it. HBO Now is already like $15 per month.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-12-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 12:59 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you think there are too many pay streaming services?

Yup, and we did it to ourselves. Once customers started paying for multiple stream options, everyone wants to get a piece.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 04-12-17, 04:28 PM   #3
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cable customers have been asking for a la carte channel options for years. That ask is now a reality in the streaming age.
Old 04-13-17, 12:40 AM   #4
DVD Talk Reviewer

At this point it's easiest for me to just pay per movie or show. If I subscribe to something a month might go by when I don't have time to watch anything and thus waste that month's payment for it.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 04-13-17, 08:17 AM   #5
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep, way too many options and stuff is starting to get spread out everywhere. If I was single and alone, this wouldn't be an issue and I would only watch stuff off VUDU and my Blu-Ray collection and not give a shit.

However, since I'm married, it becomes a problem in the sense that my wife is getting pretty bored with Hulu and doesn't really seem to care for VUDU (except for an occasional movie) or Amazon (same thing).

I'm counting the weeks where she starts insisting that we go back and get an upgraded cable package (and not just the basic one included with the internet) and thus throwing me into a spin with cable fees, possibly switching services and playing this giant game to get the best option. And paying for this stream and then this stream isn't going to help matters either.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 04-13-17, 08:21 AM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always think choice is good, but the danger is that something like Hulu might cease to exist & you have to have separate service for each network's programming. Which is where we seem to be heading.

But I do think the market is becoming saturated with all these live TV streamers. I try them every time a new one comes out & it always reminds me why I ditched cable. Nothing but junk & commercials.

But there really good streaming services - those offering original programming and a commercial free option, are still pretty rare.
Old 04-17-17, 10:19 AM   #7

I think the market is saturated with streaming services, however, I'm not one to say there are too many. It's basically the free market at work - driving competitiveness and quality. Some will survive, some won't. At this point, I've pretty much stuck with the 'first to market' streaming services - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. Unless something else grips me, I likely won't deviate from this.
Old 04-18-17, 10:47 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a lot - but isn't choice and flexibility what we've always wanted?

We aren't beholden or tied into any service - so we can subscribe and cancel at will. I wanted to watch some exclusive content on Shudder, so I subscribed for a month, watched what I wanted and then canceled. I've done the same for a handful of other services.
Old 04-18-17, 11:45 PM   #9

It doesn't bother me. I like having choices. Maybe I'm paying the same as cable. But with cable I never watch 95% of the channels. With streaming, I pay for the services I want to watch.

And with so many niche services, some of them are getting really unique, hard to find content. Every month I'm amazed at the obscure horror flicks that Shudder is able to dig up.
Old 04-19-17, 09:36 AM   #10
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemente View Post
There are a lot - but isn't choice and flexibility what we've always wanted?

We aren't beholden or tied into any service - so we can subscribe and cancel at will. I wanted to watch some exclusive content on Shudder, so I subscribed for a month, watched what I wanted and then canceled. I've done the same for a handful of other services.
Pretty much this, although the temporary subscriptions are more my plan for possible future binges than actual practice so far.