Yet another pay streaming service -- NBC to launch streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 04-10-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hit-nbc-shows

Comcast Corp. plans to introduce an online video service offering hit shows from its NBCUniversal TV networks in the next 12 to 18 months, an effort to compete with rivals Netflix Inc. and CBS Corp., according to people familiar with the matter.

The new service will include programs from the NBC broadcast network, and could include shows from Comcast cable channels Bravo, SyFy and USA, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private plans. Comcast is still determining many of the particulars of the service, including whether it will have a live feed of the broadcast network and whether it will include sports, the people said.

The service could help Comcast continue to adapt to a TV industry that has transformed before its eyes since the cable provider acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal in 2011. Tens of millions of customers signed up for services from Netflix and Amazon.com Inc. to get access to vast libraries of shows on-demand and over the internet, while viewership of live TV dropped among all but the oldest of viewers.

Several of NBC’s peers have responded to the shifting landscape by introducing online TV services of their own to satisfy viewers who don’t pay for cable or satellite packages. CBS sells All Access, an online-only version of the CBS broadcast network that includes a live feed, and created a new streaming service for premium cable network Showtime. Time Warner Inc. did the same for its premium cable network HBO.

None of these services have attracted customers at the same rate as Netflix, Amazon or Hulu. CBS said in February its services each have more than 1.5 million subscribers, while HBO Now has surpassed 2 million.

Comcast’s new service may take a while because the cable provider is still hamstrung by restrictions imposed by regulators in the deal for NBCUniversal. The rules make it difficult for Comcast to sell services entirely comprised of its own content. The last of the prohibitions expire in September 2018.

Comcast added video subscribers last year for the first time since 2007 after weathering the loss of hundreds of thousands of customers fleeing for cheaper online video services. The largest U.S. cable operator has struck recent deals to accommodate changing viewing habits, incorporating Netflix into set-top boxes and making Comcast’s Xfinity TV service available on Roku Inc.’s devices.

Comcast has acquired rights from cable network owners to offer their channels nationwide, according to people familiar with the negotiations, giving the cable giant a backup plan if rival online-TV services catch on with consumers. The company also has a comedy streaming service with original programming, called Seeso, and a sports package with cycling and rugby, called NBC Sports Gold.

While rivals CBS and ABC suffer steep viewer losses, NBC is riding high this season. It is the most-watched network among viewers 18 to 49, the demographic most important to advertisers, thanks to stalwarts “Sunday Night Football” and “The Voice” as well as the biggest new hit of this TV season, “This Is Us.” NBCUniversal’s cable networks haven’t fared as well.

Sounds like a potential NBC version of CBS All-Access.

Is it just me or there seems to be so many more streaming services being launched/currently in the market than someone can realistically afford or is practical to them?

Looking forward to someone saying...I already pay enough for fucking TV, I don't need another pay streaming service.

If this does launch, it could greatly impact how NBC distributes their shows to Hulu and Netflix.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-10-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Yet another pay streaming service -- NBC to launch streaming service

DJ, I know you hate me but I think you are right on with your thought that these streaming services are really aiming to get everyone back to cable.

At this point I am pretty much back up to what I was paying for cable. And with markedly less "content".
Old 04-10-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And they are baiting us with the free NBC content we get now. Ugh.
Old 04-10-17, 06:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

It would be nice to watch the older shows like L. A. Law. Now, these are pay services, you don't get free if have cable provider that carries channel like all the other big ones?
Old 04-10-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It would be nice to watch the older shows like L. A. Law. Now, these are pay services, you don't get free if have cable provider that carries channel like all the other big ones?
This is 100% pay streaming service. It will probably run a similar price point like CBS All-Access.

The network streaming that are linked to your cable/satellite provider are paid for with limited ads & your monthly service fee. Plus those linked to your provider will have a limited amount of content.

I'm guessing the pay NBC version will carry entire seasons and older shows while the "free" app will only carry limited/select shows.
Old 04-10-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I hope they keep at least the recent few of currently airing episodes for free. Otherwise forget it.
Old 04-10-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I wonder if this will cause them to not have content on Hulu anymore? Comcast owns 30% of Hulu, but knowing them, they will probably sell their shares and start offering everything exclusively on their streaming service....
Old 04-11-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I wonder if this will cause them to not have content on Hulu anymore? Comcast owns 30% of Hulu, but knowing them, they will probably sell their shares and start offering everything exclusively on their streaming service....
I'm wondering about this as well. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of Comcast/NBCU shows were streamed a lot on Hulu.
Old 04-12-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Shit.

CW...Please take "Powerless" before they lock it up on this streaming service.
Old 04-12-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Now we know why House MD was taken off netflix
Old 04-12-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

It's all about the programs. I would never have subscribed to CBS All Access if I weren't a big fan of The Good Wife and Star Trek.
Spoiler:
Kidding --I don't subscribe to CBS All Access even though I would enjoy some of the content.
Old 04-12-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I've been waiting forever for the S4 and S5 releases of LA Law on DVD.