Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 Edition: How many streaming services/devices do you have?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
View Poll Results: How many streaming services do you subscribe and pay for?
1-2
47.06%
3-4
35.29%
5-6
11.76%
7-8
0%
9-10 or more
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

2017 Edition: How many streaming services/devices do you have?

Old 03-16-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How many streaming services do you pay for? Are you tapped out from getting more

Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz, HBO Now and YouTube Red.
Old 03-16-17, 09:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: How many streaming services do you pay for? Are you tapped out from getting more

Originally Posted by DJariya
But we all know you're a serial hoarder and just like collecting content and never watch it. You'll be 160 before you ever complete watching all those Vudu movies and discs you have.

That's great that you have so much content, now will you ever not buy anything for a month or two and just watch what you have?

I was talking about the average person's usage of Vudu, not the DVD Talk, Blu-Ray.com message boarder who is familiar with buying and selling UV codes.

I'm very familiar with that. If I purchase a disc of a movie I like with a UV code, chances are I will sell it to offset some of the disc cost. I have no need for a duplicate digital copy.

The amount of Vudu/UV content that I actually have is very small. Occasionally I will use it to rent or buy a title on sale. If I can't sell a UV code that comes with a disc, then usually I'll just redeem it on Vudu just to have it.
I'll be 247 before I watch it all.

But I actually have slowed way down in purchasing, sometimes only buying a couple titles a month. And sometimes I watch over 300 a month!

Yeah, I'm an exception in some ways, but I can easily see people relying on Vudu for everything. They have great sales every week. I can see Joe Consumer deciding to just buy stuff they want to own or rent digitally versus paying for rental services where stuff you want is streaming one month and gone the next.
Old 03-16-17, 10:09 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

3 and capping it at that for now. Amazon, Netflix and Hulu
Old 03-16-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't pay for any streaming services currently. And it's hard to see that changing in the near future. I have so much to watch--whether it be a healthy amount of digital owned content or a mountain of physical media. I don't need anymore choices.
Old 06-20-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Netflix and Hulu.
I am on an Amazon Household account but don't pay for it.
I don't have pay cable or satellite.

Add in hundreds of DVD/BDs and dozens of video games including disk, Games with Gold, Steam deals and Xbox deals....way too much content, much of which is good.

I've only bought two disks this year - Dredd for three bucks and Death of Superman GN/disc (I'm on a GN kick).

Pretty close to overwhelming.
Old 07-10-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
re: 2017 Edition: How many streaming services/devices do you have?

So this thread is 2 years old and I wanted to bump it to see what your updated tally's are now in 2019.

These are the ones I currently have year-round:

Netflix
Hulu
CBS All-Access
DC Universe
Prime Video
Shudder
FX Now

These I get free with my DirecTV subscription:
HBO Go
Showtime Anytime
Starz
MAX Go

On a trial/experimental basis:
EPIX Now (I do like this and it's not expensive)
YouTube Premium (will likely cancel in about a month)
Sundance Now (using to catch up on a few titles)
Criterion Channel (on a free trial, just to see a few movies)
VRV (on a free 30 day trial - and cancelled)

I'll get Disney Plus in November.
Old 07-10-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Netflix, Prime, HBO, and MLB.tv. I should probably drop HBO and consider DC or Disney.
Old 07-10-19, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

We have Hulu, Netflix, and Prime Video.

Likely will not renew Netflix when the subscription runs out (still have about a year from gift cards).

Rarely watch anything on Prime Video.
Old 07-10-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I signed up for Netflix to share with my parents because they wanted it. I also have CBS All Access, which I subscribed to for The Twilight Zone. I might cancel that until Star Trek: Picard starts up. I also tried Boomerang for a week because there was a new Scooby-Doo show I wanted to check out and forgot to cancel, but I’ll probably end that service. Also have YouTube Premium which is probably my most used streaming service.

Edit: forgot about Prime Video, but I consider that somewhat different as I pay yearly for Prime and that’s just a bonus with it.
Old 07-10-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

-Netflix
-Prime Video (I also don't watch it much, I have Prime mostly for shipping)
-CraveTV (Canadian service that includes a lot of shows from Showtime, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe and Comedy Central plus its own stuff) plus $10 per month HBO add on (so for $20 CDN I get a hell of a lot of programming, just wish their app was better)

Luckily I don't have to worry about Disney Plus or DC Universe at this point, as they aren't in Canada yet, so their programming ends up on one of the above services that I already subscribe to, but if that changes I'll have to think if I want to add either to my streaming subscriptions.
Old 07-10-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I need to change my vote. I originally voted 1-2.
But now I'm subbed to:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu (with HBO, SHO, and Starz addons), DC Universe, Shudder.
I don't watch much on Prime, my wife doesn't watch much on DCU (although she is gamely along for the ride with Doom Patrol).
So depending on how you add the premium networks, either 5 or 8. (I am counting DCU and Shudder even though those were one annual payment.)
Registered to probably another half dozen (Tubi, Pluto, etc.)
I do buy stuff from Vudu occasionally as well.
I will 90% sub to Disney+ when it comes out, and it the HBO thing changes to include DCU and other stuff for just a few bucks more, I'll swap to that.
Even with all that this is a lot cheaper than my satellite bill, so it's not the money, Even if we bought one new release digital movie a week it would still be cheaper.
It's finding the time to watch stuff (and sometimes, just remembering where the hell it is - it took me ten minutes to remember TubiTV had a show I was looking for.)
Old 07-11-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

We had Netflix and the WWE Network up until last month when I canceled both. We now have Amazon Prime and DC Universe. We get Hulu for free because I bought a new phone and service plan from Sprint. I will most likely Drop DC Universe when the new Disney+ rolls out. So right now, I pay for two and get one for free.
Old 07-11-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I pay for Netflix and Hulu and I guess Amazon since I have prime but I would have that regardless of the streaming video. I do not have cable.
Old 07-12-19, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

My family has the following services:

Netflix - we have the 4 streaming option
Prime Video - We pay for the shipping
Crunchyroll
DAZN - for the NFL ST and Redzone along with EPL, La Liga, Champions League, Serie A, La Ligue, MLS soccer. Currently, it's $150 per year but I split it with a
friend.

I also have a Tubi account and watch the CTV app on my tablet for the free Corner Gas episodes.

I'm interested on Crave TV and Disney+ when it gets to Canada. I was looking at Criterion but decided not to subscribe.
Old 07-12-19, 10:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Update:

Netflix - super cheap thanks to gift card deals, and share with several family/friends, so a no-brainer even though I average maybe 2 hours a month on it

Prime - essentially free, as I’d pay for Prime for the other benefits anyway; watch a couple hours a month

Shudder - $24 a year, worth that much to me for the exclusives; average 5+ hours a month maybe

DC Universe - $75 a year, worth it just for the exclusive shows and the comics; maybe 5 hours a month

HBO - free in our grandfathered cable/internet package, would cost me more to get rid of it; a few hours a month

Conclusion: Not tapped out, open to one of the big new ones coming soon. Could cancel Shudder or DCU if the price/offerings change.
Old 07-14-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Just Netflix, although I'll probably get Disney+ when it's available. I don't see myself getting anything else.
Old 07-14-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Netflix
Hulu
PRIME
Criterion Channel

I will probably get Disney+ & Apple TV+.
Old 07-14-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL

I also have a Tubi account and watch the CTV app on my tablet for the free Corner Gas episodes.

I'm interested on Crave TV...
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you can use a Tubi account to get CTV? I have the free CBC Gem streaming app because anyone living in Canada can get that, but I don't have cable or satellite so no CTV app. I was thinking of bumming cable subscription info off a family member so that I can get CTV, but if there is a simpler method...

And yeah, the current app is a bit iffy, and the video quality could be better, but other than that I'm happy with CraveTV, you get a great amount of programming for the price, and with the HBO add on even more so. What I'm paying for both is cheaper than when I used to just pay for HBO Now with a US subscription and farting around with a VPN. Crave is cheaper and easier, and way more programming.

Old 07-14-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Netflix (zero chance I would ever get rid of)
Hulu (with HBO addon) (zero chance I would ever get rid of)
WNBA League Pass (zero chance I would ever get rid of)
Prime Video (mainly get for shipping but there is always a few shows we watch on to make it worth it)
Criterion Channel (I pretty much never watch movies anymore but I wanted to support them)
Crunchyroll (I subscribe occasionally when their is a show I want to watch)

Last edited by The Questyen; 07-14-19 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but you can use a Tubi account to get CTV? I have the free CBC Gem streaming app because anyone living in Canada can get that, but I don't have cable or satellite so no CTV app. I was thinking of bumming cable subscription info off a family member so that I can get CTV, but if there is a simpler method...

And yeah, the current app is a bit iffy, and the video quality could be better, but other than that I'm happy with CraveTV, you get a great amount of programming for the price, and with the HBO add on even more so. What I'm paying for both is cheaper than when I used to just pay for HBO Now with a US subscription and farting around with a VPN. Crave is cheaper and easier, and way more programming.
My bad. I wasn’t very clear. What I meant is that I have a Tubi app and the CTV app. You don’t need Tubi account to stream the CTV app.

Also in the CTV app, you only need a cable subscription if you want to watch the current shows that are locked. For the “Throwback” section which Corner Gas is in, you can stream it for free. That also includes their Movies section. The downside is that they only have a phone and tablet app for iOS. Not sure about Android. The Airplay from mobile or Tablet to TV through AppleTV doesn’t work very well. Plus they have a few commercials which is not bad. If you already have Crave, I don’t think the CTV app is necessary for you.

I like the CBC Gem app from my Apple TV. I watched the latest season of Kim’s Convenience from there.
Old 07-15-19, 09:25 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leacha
Netflix, Amazon & Hulu. Would do more if there was something worth it. A TCM app would be perfect. And every year I consider MLB. The in/out market games rules are BS so I usually don't.
2 years later and nothing has changed. Except MLB now has commercials. Shouldn't pay services get better? Still looking out for s stand alone TCM.
Old 07-15-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Zero, zip, none, nada.

None of the exclusive shows or movies on any of the services have appealed to me enough to subscribe. This includes the upcoming Disney+. I did have amazon.com's streaming service as an option back when I had Prime but I never watched anything on it. I used Prime for shipping but got tired of spending $12 a month to have damaged items not arrived on time.
Old 07-20-19, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Foxtel now, Hayu, and DCU (need to use a VPN for that one).

We also have an old deal for foxtel satelite TV via our phone/internet package that I was going to cancel when I got the foxtel now. The FN is able to be chrome cast and played on many devices and 2 at a time as well as having VOD content instead of watching the live channels on one tv only. When I discovered it would only save me $10 a month I figured why bother. We have also had another pay service cloud TV though while I paid the full price I only got 2/3 the content as the service is based in asia and the sports chanels dont have the right to broadcast in Australia (not that I have any interest in watching sport).

literally the only services available down under I dont get are Stan and Kayo. Since Kayo is sports dedicated that one doesnt interest me and stan from what Ive seen doesnt have much content I'd want. Though it has just signed a deal with disney. Will be interesting to see how that plays out once Disney plus launches, likely no issues at start as I imagine like most it will be US only.
Old 07-21-19, 11:46 AM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Current payed services:
DirectTVNow - I subscribed to this when I cut the cord earlier this year so I could finish the TV seasons I was watching at the time. Also, I was able to get a free Apple TV for signing up for 4 months. I plan to cancel at the end of the 4 months for which I pre-payed.
Prime - I would pay for this anyway for the free shipping.
FloSports - I was pleasantly surprised to find this service also includes BTN Plus so I don't have to sign up for that in the fall.
HBO - part of my cell phone package
AT&T WatchTV - part of my cell phone package

Current free services:
Hoopla - 5 items a month free through my local library
PBS - I usually donate enough each year to also get PBS Passport in addition to the free shows.
Locast - This is run by a nonprofit, so if I start to use it more, I will donate the recommended $5 a month.
CW

Plans for the future:
YouTubeTV - I will sign up for this during the fall sports season for the NCAA.
Sling TV Blue - I will sign up for this during the 2020 Olympics.
Netflix - I will sign up for this occasionally for 1 to 2 months to catch up on shows.
Hulu - I will sign up for this occasionally for 1 to 2 months to catch up on shows.
Showtime - I will sign up for this occasionally for 1 to 2 months to catch up on shows.
Starz - I will sign up for this occasionally for 1 to 2 months to catch up on shows.
Shudder - I plan to sign up for this while Amazon has this half-price for 3 months.

Services that I haven't used before which I plan to try at some point:
Epix
YouTube Premium
Disney
Acorn TV
Britbox

CBS
Philo

Old 07-24-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
HBO
Showtime
Starz
DogTV
Sling
Univision
DC Universe
Youtube Premium
CBS
VUDU

Probably going to get Disney+, but I'm looking at dropping some of these. Use YT and VUDU the most

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.