Britbox - BBC/ITV subscription streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 12-13-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/12/bbc-worl...ty-1201869449/

BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, has paired with ITV to launch a new SVOD service called BritBox for the U.S. market.

The streaming service will be available in Q1 2017 and AMC Networks, which has a joint venture with BBC for cable channel BBC America, has invested in the service with a non-voting minority interest. BBC Worldwide and ITV share an equal majority stake in the joint venture.

BritBox will offer up a comprehensive collection of British content including dramas that have since been unavailable in the U.S. such as New Blood, from novelist Anthony Horowitz, Tutankhamun, The Moonstone and In The Dark from Ordinary Lies writer Danny Brocklehurst. Season premieres of Cold Feet and Silent Witness will also stream on the service alongside popular Brit soaps such as Eastenders, Emmerdale and Holby City, which will be available 24 hours after their UK broadcast.

ITV and BBC classics such as Brideshead Revisted, Pride and Prejudice, Inspector Morse, Keeping Up Appearances and Fawlty Towers will also feature on the service.

It will be available online as well as iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast platforms. Pricing will be available at launch and there is ambition to roll out to international markets.

The U.S. market for SVOD services is estimated to reach the $8B mark by the end of 2016, with some 110 million subscriptions.

I wonder if this affects Acorn TV? Don't they have a lot of BBC content?
Old 12-13-16, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: BBC/ITV to launch subscription streaming service Britbox in 2017

I'll buy into this if the price is decent. And I would imagine they'll just not renew Acorn's rights and transfer a good chunk of their catalog over to this new service. Unless this new service is for mostly new shows, and Acorn can continue showing the older stuff.
Old 03-07-17, 12:35 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Britbox is now available. It's $6.99/month. It's available on Roku, Apple TV (4th gen), PC, iOS and Android mobile devices. Chromecast support is coming soon.

https://www.britbox.com/
Old 03-07-17, 12:39 PM

BBC and ITV’s BritBox Launches With ‘Fawlty Towers,’ ‘Prime Suspect,’ ‘Absolutely Fabulous’

BritBox, the streaming child of British media giants BBC Worldwide and ITV, has officially launched stateside.

For $6.99 a month, Americans get access to a plethora of past BBC and ITV-produced series — but the service will also be home to various fresh episodes of British soaps and dramas as little as 24 hours after their U.K. broadcast, including “EastEnders,” “Emmerdale,” “Holby City,” and “Casualty,” to start with. BritBox will feature the U.S. series premiere of dramas “New Blood,” from writer Anthony Horowitz, and “Tutankhamun” from writer Guy Burt, as well as the season premieres of drama favorites “Cold Feet” and “Silent Witness.”

Classic British comedies “Are You Being Served?,” “Fawlty Towers,” and the previously announced “Keeping Up Appearances” are exclusives to BritBox. “Blackadder” with Rowan Atkinson, the original version of “The Office” with Ricky Gervais, “Gavin & Stacey” with James Corden, and cult darling “Absolutely Fabulous” with Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders, will also be available.

On the mystery side, BritBox will have the exclusive rights to BBC’s “Miss Marple” starring Joan Hickson, “Inspector Morse” with John Thaw, and “Sherlock Holmes” starring Jeremy Brett. Other titles include Helen Mirren’s “Prime Suspect,” Agatha Christie’s “Poirot: The Early Cases” starring David Suchet, “Cracker” with “Harry Potter” star Robbie Coltrane, “Rosemary and Thyme” with Felicity Kendal and Pam Ferris, and the premiere of “The Moonstone,” based on Wilkie Collins’s beloved novel.
Old 03-07-17, 12:52 PM

After taking a look at the website, I kinda agree with this article. There doesn't seem to be much worthwhile content. Most of it is older series that have been around other streaming services forever. I guess now some of it's "exclusive" but it seems like filler content. And I'm not too interested in the soap operas. So there's just a couple new shows that BBC America doesn't want.

BBC and ITV's 'BritBox' streaming service arrives in the US

It has everything but the shows you want.

The BBC and ITV have banded together to launch their own subscription streaming service in the US. They've teased "BritBox" before, but now it's actually here, for $6.99 per month on the web, Apple TV and Android (Roku, Chromecast and iOS apps are in the works.) If you've wanted a Netflix equivalent for Top Gear, Doctor Who and The Great British Bake Off, however, you'll be sorely disappointed. At launch, the service is being propped up by older classics such as Miss Marple and Sherlock Holmes (the one starring Jeremy Brett, not the Benedict Cumberbatch reboot.)

The two companies have, however, promised to release episodes of new and ongoing shows 24 hours after their British broadcast. These are mostly soaps, unfortunately -- think EastEnders, Emmerdale, Holby City and Casualty. Most of the BBC's heavy-hitters, it would seem, are being left out to ensure BBC America -- the cable and satellite channel joint-owned by BBC Worldwide and AMC -- remains attractive in the States.

That's not to say BritBox has no value, however. You'll find award-winning comedies such as Blackadder, Absolutely Fabulous and Gavin & Stacey (the show James Corden co-created, co-wrote and starred in). It's also the exclusive home for the complete series of Sharpe -- the Napoleonic Sean Bean extravaganza -- and will serve as the US premieres for the BBC's fresh crime drama New Blood, and ITV's Tutankhamun. All told, the Britbox team says there are "thousands" of hours to peruse. The problem, of course, will be quality, rather than quantity. If the library is packed with "filler" content, few people will want to pay for a monthly subscription.
Old 03-07-17, 01:02 PM

I spoke to BritBox customer support and they said that the Roku app will be available in a few days. They're just waiting for it to be "credentialed" or something like that.
Old 03-07-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are so many shows here that I love, but so many are missing!
Old 03-11-17, 01:05 AM

BritBox is now available in the Roku channel store:

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/143088/britbox

I'm not crazy about the interface. It's kinda clunky and poorly laid out. Hard to find what you're looking for.

It looks like you can subscribe directly through the Roku.
Old 03-29-17, 07:14 PM

Red Dwarf Series 11 and Back Catalog Headed to BritBox

The quirky British science fiction comedy show Red Dwarf has a new home for its eleventh season. Coinciding with the launch of BBC Worldwide’s BritBox subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service, the Emmy-award winning show will air its series 11 premiere and offer its entire back catalog to those who sign up as subscribers.

READ MORE - http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/red-d...ded-to-britbox
Old 04-06-17, 09:11 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't yet post links, but just read an article that announced that Classic Doctor Who got added.

Almost all completely existing stories are there (there are a few stories that aren't available, though, including several Dalek stories).
Old 04-06-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

How will their programming compare with Acorn TV?
Old 04-06-17, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
How will their programming compare with Acorn TV?
You can see what's available on Britbox's homepage. My impressions, based on briefly looking through both (I haven't used either), is that britbox is a little bigger, and is (IMO) better in terms of content (at least more shows I recognize, especially Britcoms + Doctor Who).

I did notice that Poirot is split between them (Both have season 1, but britbox has seasons 2-6 while Acorn has 7-12). Not sure what other overlaps there are.
Old 09-10-20, 11:38 PM

People in the UK are very lucky, because Britbox just added a bunch of great cult programming: Blake's 7, Survivors, The Avengers, Quatermass & The Pit, and plenty of others.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/blakes-...ng-to-britbox/

Sadly, the US Britbox hasn't gotten them, but maybe that will change in the future?
Old 07-08-21, 01:17 AM

Biggest sale of the year. Sign up for an annual membership for only $39. Offer valid until July 13, 2021 (18:59 EST).

https://www.britbox.com/us/
Old 07-09-21, 10:50 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Biggest sale of the year. Sign up for an annual membership for only $39. Offer valid until July 13, 2021 (18:59 EST).

Thanks for that. I was a AcornTV subscriber but left after a couple years when I found nothing of interest to me. I'll give this a go at the reduced annual price. Be aware that discount price doesn't show until after you subscribe for the non-refundable year and it shows the regular rate. I had to go into my account, look for the "Billing History" and see it showed the $41 ($39 + $2 in tax??). Also it's automatically renewable so I'll need to remember to cancel if it doesn;t work out for me.
Old 07-10-21, 01:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

👍🏻
Finally jumbed on this.
Old 07-10-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: Britbox - BBC/ITV subscription streaming service

While it's a good deal, I already have way too much to watch and don't have a massive interest in British TV to use this enough.
Old 07-10-21, 10:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My wife and I have a bigger interest in British shows than Peacock, Paramount, and many others. So this is the perfect price to buy in to this service. Lots of good stuff in browsing their catalog.
Old 07-11-21, 07:30 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I just got done with trials of Acorn and Britbox through Amazon channel offers. There's some stuff on here I'd like to check out, so I will probably utilize this offer. I dropped a couple of other streamers recently.
Old 08-05-21, 06:20 PM

Looks like Blake's 7 will finally be added to the service in the US.

https://nerdvanamedia.com/television...box-us/152862/
Old 08-27-21, 06:46 PM

It looks like Britbox is currently on sale for 99 cents per month for two months (both as an Amazon prime channel and independently). With Blake's 7 recently added, I'm tempted to resubscribe (even though I have the DVDs somewhere).
Old 11-25-21, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Current black friday deal until Nov 29 is the 99 cent per months for 2 months deal again*for new customers
Old 11-25-21, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Do they have any horror tv series on Britbox?
Old 11-25-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Do they have any horror tv series on Britbox?
Here's their programming list: https://www.britbox.com/us/programmes
Old 11-11-22, 09:23 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

"Get 12 months of BritBox for only $49 and enjoy the best in British TV all year long - that's 45% off! Three days only. Use promo code EEA-49 to redeem."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.