Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 04-26-16, 10:22 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

Film buffs soon will have a new viewing option for contemporary and classic movies with the start of a streaming service called FilmStruck this fall.

Developed by Turner Classic Movies in partnership with Criterion Collection, the new subscription-based service will feature hundreds of films from independent and major Hollywood studios. Those include “Seven Samurai,” “Breaker Morant,” “Blood Simple” and “Mad Max.”

FilmStruck also will be the exclusive streaming destination for Criterion Collection, which specializes in licensing classic and contemporary films. Criterion will operate a channel on the service to spotlight more than 1,000 films and other content such as commentary on films and filmmakers.

The service will be advertising free. Specific pricing details are still being determined.

“FilmStruck is a terrific example of our strategy to meet consumer demand for great content across all screens,” John Martin, chief executive of Turner, said in a statement. “It’s tailor-made for the die-hard movie enthusiast that crave a deep, intimate experience with independent, foreign, and art house films. And it takes advantage of TCM’s powerful curation capabilities as well as its proven track record of building a long-term relationship with passionate film fans.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/27/mo...ruck.html?_r=0
Old 04-26-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

Could be good, as Netflix continues to concentrate more on original content- but I still want current/mainstream movies also, no matter how bad they might be. Seems a FAR better fit for Criterion than Hulu though. It would be great if Vudu ever had an all-you-can-watch subscription at least for their older movies.
Old 04-26-16, 01:46 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Sounds like Hulu is going to lose all that Criterion content. That's a shame. Now we'll have to pay more to get all those movies.

I wish they'd joined up with an existing service like Fandor. That would be a perfect for TCM/Criterion. I guess Fandor's going to lose their Criterion titles too.

I hope they charge something reasonable like most niche services ($5/mo or $50/yr). And not something ridiculous like Warner Archive ($10/mo).

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-26-16 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I was only briefly on Hulu so I didn't watch Criterion there, but that's a big loss for them for a certain audience.

Interesting that TCM didn't go with Warner considering their previous ties there.

There are way too many different services. I like the sound of this one, but not enough to pay.
Old 04-26-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Interesting that TCM didn't go with Warner considering their previous ties there.
I don't think it was an either/or. Per the official press release, the service is going to feature classic movies from Warner Bros.:
FilmStruck’s impressive library will feature a deep roster of films from such celebrated indie studios as Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, along with movies from Hollywood's major movie studios including Warner Bros. Among the hundreds of critically acclaimed and award-winning titles to be featured on FilmStruck are Seven Samurai, A Hard Day’s Night, A Room With A View, Blood Simple, My Life As A Dog, Mad Max, Breaker Morant and The Player.
Old 04-26-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

So it looks like Warner Archive will continue with WB's bottom of barrel movie classics.
Old 04-26-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I'll switch if I have to, we'll see. At least with Filmstruck - I hope the CC content is in surround. the thing that always irked me about HULU is that all of their content is in 2.0, with no plans to offer anything in surround.
Old 04-26-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I watched a ton of Criterion/Janus films on Hulu, but wasn't big on much of anything else. I'm very excited about Filmstruck, as classic/older movies are poorly represented elsewhere.
Old 04-27-16, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
So it looks like Warner Archive will continue with WB's bottom of barrel movie classics.
I think Warner Archive is going away. Noting the podcast hasn't promoted it in a few months and the titles offered haven't changed all that much since the end of last year. FilmStruck may be the new outlet for their classic library.
Old 04-27-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Will the TCM app (live & demand) service be subsumed, parallel or defunct...?

And will we get Criterion BONUS features - plus the non-disc titles that are on Hulu? (Korda, Bulldog Drummond, etc.)
Old 04-27-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Good news for those in the US. Bad news for me. Another service that will be US only and I will lose access to the Criterion content over Hulu.

I read in the Criterion news release that their content will be on Hulu until November of this year.
Old 04-28-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Will the TCM app (live & demand) service be subsumed, parallel or defunct...?
I'm kind of interested in using the TCM app. Is it subscription-based?
Old 08-16-16, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumping for those in the Hulu feed who are asking.
Old 08-18-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was only briefly on Hulu so I didn't watch Criterion there, but that's a big loss for them for a certain audience.
Yeah, it was a large part of the reason I signed up for Hulu. Losing that and the CW shows is probably going to take a big bite out of their subscribers.

There are way too many different services. I like the sound of this one, but not enough to pay.
I like Criterion and TCM enough that I might actually go for this one if it's Chromecast compatible. It's mostly TCM that keeps me holding onto cable, so this could save money for me. Theoretically, anyway.
Old 08-19-16, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Yeah, it was a large part of the reason I signed up for Hulu. Losing that and the CW shows is probably going to take a big bite out of their subscribers.

I like Criterion and TCM enough that I might actually go for this one if it's Chromecast compatible. It's mostly TCM that keeps me holding onto cable, so this could save money for me. Theoretically, anyway.
From what I remember in the earlier press releases for this service and twitter Q&A's there will not be much of TCM Classic film content, seems like they are aiming for the art film crowd.
Old 09-03-16, 08:42 AM

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I'm kind of interested in using the TCM app. Is it subscription-based?
You have to have the channel on your TV, thn log in with your provider information... otherwise, it's free.
Old 09-09-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Btwn gutting their catalog of K-Drama's and losing the Criterion Collection Hulu I feel is gonna start losing subscribers.
Old 09-09-16, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Btwn gutting their catalog of K-Drama's and losing the Criterion Collection Hulu I feel is gonna start losing subscribers.
I doubt they'll feel that as much as the loss of The CW shows. In a couple weeks, people are going to start checking Hulu for the new season of their favorite shows and find out they're all gone.
Old 09-09-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Wondering when Filmstruck is actually going to get off the ground? Looks like Warner Archive will be around a while longer, as they've been advertising a "new improved" service.
Old 09-09-16, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Wondering when Filmstruck is actually going to get off the ground? Looks like Warner Archive will be around a while longer, as they've been advertising a "new improved" service.
I just finished a survey that mentioned subscriptions would start in October.
Old 10-06-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pricing has been revealed and it is a bargain!

http://criterioncast.com/news/turner...terion-channel

Earlier tonight, the folks at Turner announced the pricing levels for the upcoming FilmStruck streaming service. The service was unveiled back in April, along with the news that the Criterion Collection would be moving away from their exclusive deal with Hulu.

The basic service will be priced at $6.99 per month, which will get you:

A constantly refreshed library of hard to find & critically acclaimed films.
Rare footage & special features.
Streaming access anytime, from anywhere.
You will have access to some films from the Criterion Collection with that base level, but these options will rotate in and out. In addition to the Criterion Collection, there will be films from studios such as: Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist, “along with movies from Hollywood’s major movie studios including Warner Bros”.

The next level up will get you The Criterion Channel. For $10.99 per month you get “everything that comes with the FilmStruck plan, plus”:

Largest collection of Criterion films available to stream at any time
Exclusive Criterion original bonus content.
Exclusive contemporary & previously unavailable films.
There will also be an option to pay $99 as a yearly fee, saving you $30.

We’ve been discussing the potential pricing options for FilmStruck ever since it was announced, and I think these plans are exactly what I was hoping for. We knew that The Criterion Channel would be an additional cost, but were unsure as to how much more we’d be spending. I’m very comfortable with spending $99 per year to have access to the entire Criterion library. I can’t wait to see what the final service looks like.

At this point, we still don’t have a firm launch date, but all signs are pointing to an October release. Criterion’s films will still be available on Hulu through next month (according to Peter Becker’s blog post on The Current).

Here's their direct link and it goes live on 10/19/16.

http://www.filmstruck.com

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-06-16 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hrmmm, I guess I have a different definition of bargain. But then again, I buy between 3-5 Criterion titles a year (and almost always at B&N during their sales). I was hoping for something closer to $69 for the year (and including all of the Criterion)....this is pretty priced like Hulu and Netflix. I dunno, I'll let it roll out and let you guinea...I mean faithful users tell me how it is
Old 10-06-16, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Pricing has been revealed and it is a bargain!

The basic service will be priced at $6.99 per month, which will get you:

The next level up will get you The Criterion Channel. For $10.99 per month you get “everything that comes with the FilmStruck plan, plus”
That's way too much. According to their website, they're offering "Hundreds Of Titles". So this isn't a huge, extensive library. And there's no way I'm paying $11 for the Criterion upgrade.

Also, the movies are going to rotate in and out. You'll only have a limited amount of time to watch them. I hate that.

And according to that blog post:

They’ve also specifically mentioned that there will not be an app for the Roku when they launch, but that it will likely arrive in 2017.
Old 10-06-16, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is my bargain:

There will also be an option to pay $99 as a yearly fee, saving you $30.
That's what I'm doing.
Old 10-06-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

To me, "constantly refreshed" means they're going to yank a title just before I want to watch it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.